XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

e70 android radio and rear DVD system issues.

Hey everyone.
I have a 2011 X5 35i and I'm having some issues with the android head unit and the rear DVD system.

I bought the car like this, so im not sure how everything exactly works.

In a nut shell, I'd like to have a more modern looking audio screen and modern looking maps on the original cic idrive screen.

I will start with the android head unit.
On the main CIC idrive screen, the picture is not aligned with the corners of the screen, so I cant really see the time or the info on top of the screen. Is there anyway to re align the picture? It kind of like when you get a new TV, it asks you to align the arrows on the screen to the corners of the TV.

Second, the idrive bluetooth audio works great, but it does look dated (gray and orange type colors). If I play audio from the android side, it runs through and aux cord and has a lot of static, plus I'd need wifi or to download music to the tablet itself. Is there anyway to connect my phone to the tablet and then tablet to the idrive all via bluetooth?
I would just like the screen to look more modern when playing music and not have static.

Third, the android tablet splits the screen with the idrive, so I cannot see the entire idrive screen which is annoying. I did see on a video you can just swipe the android side away, I'll try that today.

Fourth, The android tablet only connects audio to the car via aux right? I cannot connect it to the idrive because they both use the same screen right?

Maybe I'm reaching for the stars wanting this tablet to do all of that, but I figured I'd ask.

The rear DVD system, this was a big selling point for me, but I cannot get it to work! The rear screen does turn on, but it says no signal. I cannot insert nor eject any discs from it. Hopefully I can get this working for the kids.

Thanks in advance.
E93 335i-DINAN tuned. Alpine over Saddle brown
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

First thing to try is to cycle through all the different CAR TYPES in Factory Settings. Sounds like these are all related to having the wrong car type selected. Once you have the right car type you're screen will be displaying normally...let us know how it goes...

FYI - I have an 2013 E70 X5M May2013 build, with the 4x4 Shop Monitor, but the car type that worked for me was: CIC_F01/F02_7Series(2011)(8.8",10.25")

It varies by options, year, model, etc...so cycle through them as needed.

Name:  IMG_1049_resize.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  205.2 KB

Last edited by argento; 12-03-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the reply. How do I access those settings?
I've searched all over the tablet and haven't seen anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

I have created a bigger issue than what I had started with!
I found the factory options, but its passcode protected and I don't know the passcode.
I reset the entire thing and now I can't access the original android style screen!
I can still switch between the idrive and android idrive.
The worst part, my reverse camera and top view cameras do not work anymore and the reverse guide lines are all messed up.

I will add photos later.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
argento
Captain
Rep

Ugh, that's rough. The code is usually universal for all monitors, however it depends on the vendor... Do you think the PO can get you the info?

shot in the dark, I just read the AVIN manual for my old 2018 version, 0000 for factory settings...

Last edited by argento; 12-03-2020 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Ugh, that's rough. The code is usually universal for all monitors, however it depends on the vendor... Do you think the PO can get you the info?

shot in the dark, I just read the AVIN manual for my old 2018 version, 0000 for factory settings...
I will try contacting the PO to see if they can give me the code.

I tried multiple universal codes whihc all said error.
0000, 1111, 4444, 1234.

I did get the rear view camera working again.
The android idrive scren looks much better than the cic screen, but it cannot play my music via bluetooth and display it which sucks. I'd just like a modern looking screen when music is playing.
I need to get my hands on a manual for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Try 1314
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      12-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

1314 worked!
Thank you.
I was able to adjust the screen and now the factory idrive screen is lined up and I can see the time at the top now and the android screen doesn’t take up half of the factory idrive screen.

Here are some photos of what it all looks like.
Anyway to have the Bluetooth music look like the android side of things?
Or can I make the Factory idrive screen look like the android one, but while still being on the factory side of things? Hope that makes sense.
Also what are the numbers -7 and -1 near the Bluetooth symbol on top?

The main screen will play DVDs, but there rear DVD player just says no signal, I cannot navigate on that screen nor insert/eject any discs.
The DVD changer in the glovebox does seem to be working.
Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
argento
Captain
Rep

Great to hear you're making progress..

It varies by monitor, but in my new android monitor you can't be connected to both OEM BT and Android BT simultaneously without issues on the android side. The vendor told me I could only be connected to one. To view and hear your BT music on the android side, you need to connect to the android monitor BT and use the integrated player or better yet download a better player.

With that said I'm assuming the PO installed a cable from the monitor to the Aux Input in the center console. I never had the rear media option, but shouldn't there be an oem switch to switch between center console AUX input and the rear dvd which also uses AUX? Or does the rear dvd not use aux? I see on the rear dvd monitor pic that it's set to AUX...

In my old 2018 AVIN unit, IIRC, I was able to listen to satellite (oem side) while viewing the android side. But the moment I chose an app with audio, it would switch. I think I was able to listen to oem SAT while viewing android WAZE, however no sound from WAZE b/c I was on oem side sound. Any deviation that would make the android side switch to android sound would cancel the oem sound (sat). I'm not sure the monitor was intended to listen to oem sound while working in the android screen.

Admittedly, my knowledge of the extent of these android monitors systems is limited. I'm still working through my new 2020 monitor, but haven't been driving enough to research completely. I still have multiple DACs on my bench from researching how best to listen to android library (or BT) music through a DAC. I have it working, but different DACs have differing results and looking for the best. I had installed an audio switching app and that changed things up quite a bit. As I said, not done with this project, but will get back to it soon....
      12-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Great to hear you're making progress..

It varies by monitor, but in my new android monitor you can't be connected to both OEM BT and Android BT simultaneously without issues on the android side. The vendor told me I could only be connected to one. To view and hear your BT music on the android side, you need to connect to the android monitor BT and use the integrated player or better yet download a better player.

With that said I'm assuming the PO installed a cable from the monitor to the Aux Input in the center console. I never had the rear media option, but shouldn't there be an oem switch to switch between center console AUX input and the rear dvd which also uses AUX? Or does the rear dvd not use aux? I see on the rear dvd monitor pic that it's set to AUX...

In my old 2018 AVIN unit, IIRC, I was able to listen to satellite (oem side) while viewing the android side. But the moment I chose an app with audio, it would switch. I think I was able to listen to oem SAT while viewing android WAZE, however no sound from WAZE b/c I was on oem side sound. Any deviation that would make the android side switch to android sound would cancel the oem sound (sat). I'm not sure the monitor was intended to listen to oem sound while working in the android screen.

Admittedly, my knowledge of the extent of these android monitors systems is limited. I'm still working through my new 2020 monitor, but haven't been driving enough to research completely. I still have multiple DACs on my bench from researching how best to listen to android library (or BT) music through a DAC. I have it working, but different DACs have differing results and looking for the best. I had installed an audio switching app and that changed things up quite a bit. As I said, not done with this project, but will get back to it soon....
I can be connected to both ends, but when I play music on the factory end, it glitches and pauses every second, so I’m never connected to the android end.
What integrated player are you talking about?

Yes, previous PO just ran a cable to the center console aux. I haven’t tried hearing my music through there but when I play music from Spotify in the android end, it was very low and has a lot of static.

Yes, I have seen an option on the drive screen where rear aux can be selected. I will try selecting it today and see if it works.

Same thing here, when I’m on playing music through BT on the factory side, anything with audio on the android side will make the car switch to aux and cut my music.

Not sure what a DAC is. Hopefully you can figure it out.
I was looking at these screens for my e90 a while ago. Getting this e70 with one installed doesn’t seem much worth it. The only thing I use on the android side right now is the screen where it shows you the rpm and mph. But even that is glitchy and I can’t change from Liter/km/h.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #11
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

I tried switch the aux to the rear, no luck, just more static.
I’ve read the factory DVD system only plays dvds on the front screen through the dvd changer in the glovebox.
On my car it only plays dvds on the front screen through the dvd slot where the navigation dvd goes.
The rear dvd system is still unresponsive.
There’s 2 random wires under the driver seat, I’m not sure what they go to. Maybe they are wires from a previous monitor?

Is there an app in the play store that will stream my music?
Like if I connect the Bluetooth to the android sids, my music would display on a certain app and play through the aux? I think this would work and then I would just need to clean up the static on the aux.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0