XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 f97 BG X3Mc

X5M - Driving modes question

New X5M owner here. I learned pretty quickly to always be driving with the M button engaged to get the full aural experience of having the exhaust valves open. I assume others are always driving with the M button engaged as well?
What I'm really curious about is how many folks are always driving with the stick in "S" mode. The ride is a bit harsher given the higher shift points, but the throttle response is more immediate given that you are already driving at the higher rev levels. Thoughts?

Last edited by clevemont; 05-04-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

It takes a lot of practice to drive this truck in S mode properly for a smooth ride and can be really fun especially when braking since the truck loves to engine brake.

1st gear can be rough and it leaves a zone between 20-40MPH where you might be in 2nd or 3rd and it's not optimal for street cruising since it can shift back and forth as you move around 3.5k RPM

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Yep.

S mode is amazing with no other cars on the road or a spirited canyon drive. It's also amazing if you love gas stations. The sensation is amplified once you get a tune.

I find that in traffic I sit in normal mode. However as soon as I see someone wants a fight, the M button goes on and the stick is slapped to the left!
      05-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Newer BMW's have normal, sport and sport+. We don't have it labeled that technically, but it's basically the same except we have one more choice is the way I see it. Normal is...normal. We can do normal shifting with and without M mode. We can also do sport shifting with and without M mode. Here's how I've broken it down to myself.

Normal = D and no M mode
Power = D and M mode
Sport = S and no M mode
Sport+ = S and M mode

I myself always like having M mode on for obvious reasons. If anything I wish it was on by default...I didn't by this car for gas mileage. S & M mode is fun during spirited driving, but the throttle is like an on/off switch once you're back to normal driving (cruising, neighborhoods, etc) but what I hate about NOT being in sport (assuming I'm already in M mode) is the cars constant need to try to goto the highest gear possible = slight drone due to catless downpipes and ziptied open valves.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

S mode + M is super aggressive when it comes to braking ... nothing like dropping to 1st at 35mph during a hard brake and hear the engine roar, burble and shoot fire out of the exhaust as it slows to a stop

Wife actually said the truck is too loud when I drive it like this and sounds like we’re racing and is super obnoxious
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

She's got a lot of nerve...good thing she won't take the X5M when you get that divorce!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
It takes a lot of practice to drive this truck in S mode properly for a smooth ride and can be really fun especially when braking since the truck loves to engine brake.

1st gear can be rough and it leaves a zone between 20-40MPH where you might be in 2nd or 3rd and it's not optimal for street cruising since it can shift back and forth as you move around 3.5k RPM
I'm being told that a Velos tune will help with these sometimes rough shift points. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Newer BMW's have normal, sport and sport+. We don't have it labeled that technically, but it's basically the same except we have one more choice is the way I see it. Normal is...normal. We can do normal shifting with and without M mode. We can also do sport shifting with and without M mode. Here's how I've broken it down to myself.

Normal = D and no M mode
Power = D and M mode
Sport = S and no M mode
Sport+ = S and M mode

I myself always like having M mode on for obvious reasons. If anything I wish it was on by default...I didn't by this car for gas mileage. S & M mode is fun during spirited driving, but the throttle is like an on/off switch once you're back to normal driving (cruising, neighborhoods, etc) but what I hate about NOT being in sport (assuming I'm already in M mode) is the cars constant need to try to goto the highest gear possible = slight drone due to catless downpipes and ziptied open valves.
I didn't realize that the new Ms didn't have an M button. I'll need to test this out. I've never actually driven in the S and no M mode. Love that open valves sound though so this mode seems like it will be the least used setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemont View Post
I'm being told that a Velos tune will help with these sometimes rough shift points. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Engine flash has zero to do with trans flash. XP makes s trans flash if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realize that the new Ms didn't have an M button. I'll need to test this out. I've never actually driven in the S and no M mode. Love that open valves sound though so this mode seems like it will be the least used setting.
I'm guessing the newer M's still have an M button, I was just thinking about what I had a 528 loaner and it's settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post

I have Velos tune and it is amazing. In Sport + M mode it seems like it's always in the right gear for what you want it to do, assuming you've not sitting in traffic. Coming out of corners is especially fun in SM mode. But, nothing is perfect. In even slight traffic it's un-drivable. It just holds high rpm's and it gets annoying.

I agree with other complaints here, in M mode on its own, while it's a rocket ship at WOT it's still a bit sluggish. Well, compared to sport + M at least. It's just such a drastic difference.
      05-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Their product description states that their software increases shift speed...and I can tell you it's night and day between the stock tune and Velos when it comes to crisp shifts. Not sure how they did it but they did. I was pleasantly surprised. So much so, that I skipped on the XP transmission software.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #13
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I feel that shifts are different after the Velos tune, but maybe it has to do with throttle angle changes, and the engine mapping in tip in and tip out at the shift points, and how it holds boost.
Appreciate 0