XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
E70X5Guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 4.8

E70 Parking Brake Malfunction

Hey everyone, I have a 2010 X5 4.8 that currently has a problem with the electronic parking brake.
Currently the parking brake/electronic e-brake is stuck on with the yellow park light illuminating on the dash as well as the parking brake malfunction error on the idrive system.

I have tried to use the emergency park brake tool in the back of the car trunk but when i pull the wire with the red tool it goes up about 4-5 inches and has 0 resistance and when using all my force nothing happens trying to pull it higher.
This leads me to believe that there is a fault in between there and the parking actuator. I have also tried to reset it by pressing the normal brake and holding the parking brake button in the car for 5 seconds on both depressing and lifting it up and nothing.
Im pretty the actuator is toast but the thing is, I don't want to replace it and the car will still not be able to come off the ebrake, currently it is in my steep driveway so i cant jack it up and check for snapped ebrake cords.

I have also tried clearing codes and it did not help. I used the foxwell BMW scanner tool.

I could squeeze under the car and possibly change the actuator but i would like to be able to take the ebrake off so i can move the car to a flat surface.

Has any experienced this before/ any tips? Thanks

Last edited by E70X5Guy; 12-10-2020 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0