XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
P6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M sold, X5M sold, X6M current

Anyone Track their X5M

If so, impressions. Are there any track brake pad compounds for this truck? How about camber plates or other adjustments for front camber. Are KW3 the only coilover available? What's the widest tire anyone has stuffed in the front?

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Not sure if serious.
      02-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P6
If so, impressions. Are there any track brake pad compounds for this truck? How about camber plates or other adjustments for front camber. Are KW3 the only coilover available? What's the widest tire anyone has stuffed in the front?

Thanks for your input.
Go by something fun to drive on the track ! The x5 is a tank!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

KW v3's and a cheap Taiwanese coilover from D2.

No camber plates that I know of, though BMW makes camber arms in -0.5, 0.0, and +0.5 deg increments for the fronts. Usually used after an accident.

At the end of the day, it's probably the worst car to run at a track, unless this is a one-off effort. too heavy, high CoG, and too heavy. :-P
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808
KW v3's and a cheap Taiwanese coilover from D2.

No camber plates that I know of, though BMW makes camber arms in -0.5, 0.0, and +0.5 deg increments for the fronts. Usually used after an accident.

At the end of the day, it's probably the worst car to run at a track, unless this is a one-off effort. too heavy, high CoG, and too heavy. :-P
Yes I'm serious. I tow my spec Miata with my X5M. Just met a guy who tracked his X5M a month ago at Texas World Speedway. Ran a 2:05 which is awesome for a 5,000+ lb brick. He did it for fun. His time attack S2000 was getting some work done. His mods were SRF and a Dinan tune.

I got the X5M partially as insurance if my Miata experienced a breakdown at a HPDE event. Hate to waste a paid weekend. Why not roll up to the grid in a steroid pumping grocery getter and embarrass half the cars there. Wanted to get more opinions from those who have tracked theirs. Clearly the brakes are the weak link. And front camber adjustment. Fluid, track pads and a square setup would help. A tune would make it competitive on the straights but exacerbate braking issues. I have no illusions that this truck can take a 30 minute pounding without issues. I would set the horses free for a couple hard laps and bring her home early.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
P6
Private First Class
Rep

What is the widest tire anyone has stuffed in front? If I can find a good deal I might get another set of rear wheels and tires (299) and put those up front. With a 35et offset, the stock 11" rear wheel, with a 315 tire, would be 25mm closer to the fender, which would probably stick our a little past the fender. Shouldn't be an issue on even a slightly lowered suspension. Open question is do I have 15mm of clearance towards the strut. Probably. I'll need to measure.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
GregWX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 ///M

I've tracked my 2010 X5M twice at Texas World Speedway. It is absolutely a blast to drive around the track and very capable. Amazing how well it handles and how fast it is in the straights! I am all stock. The oil temperature gauge never even hit 210F. The brakes get a little bit glazed over towards the end of the day but never had any serious fade after 3x30 minute sessions. Top speed was about 135 in the main straight and 110 in the back straight!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
GregWX5
Private
Rep

Some more pictures....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWX5
I've tracked my 2010 X5M twice at Texas World Speedway. It is absolutely a blast to drive around the track and very capable. Amazing how well it handles and how fast it is in the straights! I am all stock. The oil temperature gauge never even hit 210F. The brakes get a little bit glazed over towards the end of the day but never had any serious fade after 3x30 minute sessions. Top speed was about 135 in the main straight and 110 in the back straight!
Ahhh, found one. Pics prove that Snipe exist. Congrats on using the full potential of your M.

Any mods for the track? What organization did you run with?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
GregWX5
Private
Rep

Both times I've gone with the Houston M-club and it's been great (relatively small group of cars so not a lot of traffic). I'm in the beginner class, only track experience is with the X5M and its awesome! I do wonder how much fun it would be with a lighter vehicle, but the X5M has its own charm being out there.

It's unfortunate that this track will be closing later this year, so I've heard. No I haven't done any modifications, just gas it up and take out anything that will fly around. Then drive it home and to work the next day with no issues!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, TWS is closing but a new track is on the board near Brenham. If it happens it would open in the fall or early 2016. I have an event April 11-12 at MSR Houston. Ever driven that track?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
GregWX5
Private
Rep

Haven't ever made it out to MSR. I think it is a tighter track, but would be willing to give it a shot if there any events going on!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #13
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Haven't ever made it out to MSR. I think it is a tighter track, but would be willing to give it a shot if there any events going on!
Is the center bore of the front and rear wheels the same on the 2011x5m built after 10/10? I've seen mixed info.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Check out thedriversedge.net. Wonderful organization. One of the best around. Novice might be full for April. They sell out quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

OP, I ran 295's up from and 335s in the rear on a 22 inch wheel. Pirelli is one of the few that makes it in those sizes, they have a high performance summer and all season option in that size.

To anyone who thinks tracking an x5m is stupid, keep in mind the whole reason this truck has an M badge on it is for that very reason. You CAN take it to a track and have a lot of fun. It will out do some very capable cars. There was another member on here who tracked his M daily, he actually used it to instruct people on the track. He had another track spec vehicle but said that the x5m was truly an impressive machine on the track

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313
OP, I ran 295's up from and 335s in the rear on a 22 inch wheel. Pirelli is one of the few that makes it in those sizes, they have a high performance summer and all season option in that size.

To anyone who thinks tracking an x5m is stupid, keep in mind the whole reason this truck has an M badge on it is for that very reason. You CAN take it to a track and have a lot of fun. It will out do some very capable cars. There was another member on here who tracked his M daily, he actually used it to instruct people on the track. He had another track spec vehicle but said that the x5m was truly an impressive machine on the track
Thanks. Do you know what the offset was on your front 22" wheel and did you add any spacers? Would you happen to know if the hub bore size is the same front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #17
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post

No, the M badge on the X5/X6 wasn't for the track. It was to not be lost by MB and Land Rover, and other luxury units putting out performance versions of their SUVs. It was a me too, a luxury item, a niche vehicle for folks that could afford it; and BMW could collect a high margin from it, to make up for the low volume.
It wasn't for the track, though semi track capable on HPDE, but not much more beyond that. Simple physics.

For anyone that has truly tracked a car, they would know that a 5k+ car/SUV/SAV will never be a successful track vehicle. But an occasional romp has never hurt anyone, other than their wallet.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post

No, the M badge on the X5/X6 wasn't for the track. It was to not be lost by MB and Land Rover, and other luxury units putting out performance versions of their SUVs. It was a me too, a luxury item, a niche vehicle for folks that could afford it; and BMW could collect a high margin from it, to make up for the low volume.
It wasn't for the track, though semi track capable on HPDE, but not much more beyond that. Simple physics.

For anyone that has truly tracked a car, they would know that a 5k+ car/SUV/SAV will never be a successful track vehicle. But an occasional romp has never hurt anyone, other than their wallet.
I don't think anyone would argue this truck was built as a track vehicle. Consumables would definitely put this in the "higher" cost tier. And you're right, not a good platform to start with. But it was certainly built to show off a little at the track without suffering. It's not just a straight line champ. Just saw some video of the new X6M at COTA and they were running very respectable lap times.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:34 PM   #19
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post

I have some capable track toys too and realize that this is the antithesis of a good track car. My point is they didn't engineer this car solely to compete in this niche market. Theres a reason these things go for about 100k, they CAN be flogged around a track and put up decent times. It was born on the nurburgring. I don't know if you've had the chance to really beat on one of these things but you'd be surprised what it can do. It can certainly hold its own in a HPDE event like you said but I agree, not meant for real events though if you really wanted you could I suppose.

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #20
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6 View Post
Thanks. Do you know what the offset was on your front 22" wheel and did you add any spacers? Would you happen to know if the hub bore size is the same front and rear?
Those are kept private by most manufacturers for some reason. You might get the info if you poke around with a few vendors but I could not. 22x12 in the rear and 22x10.5 up front, no idea on offsets like I mentioned but if you are getting a set made for the x5m it will be pretty much flush with the fender. No spacer required

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #21
RickM5x3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post

Oh give me a break. Great writeup and pics on someone who ran their tow vehicle as a competent track car and you spit out the standard script against the X5M. Get over yourself and know that it is a broadly capable car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Debate over.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...deo-proof.html
Appreciate 0