XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
vioilio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Valve cover gaskets X5M E70

Anyone have any tips or trick for the process of valve covers gaskets replacement? Mine are leaking and I would like to get them replaced. I can see that the injectors wont need to be removed but not sure about the intercoolers/heatexchangers. Also what about the coils/injectors harness on the passenger side and the small junction box (electrical) in the front and on top of the right passenger side cover. All tips are welcome.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioilio View Post
Anyone have any tips or trick for the process of valve covers gaskets replacement? Mine are leaking and I would like to get them replaced. I can see that the injectors wont need to be removed but not sure about the intercoolers/heatexchangers. Also what about the coils/injectors harness on the passenger side and the small junction box (electrical) in the front and on top of the right passenger side cover. All tips are welcome.

Thanks!
I too am in the same boat as you. I have a mystery oil leak , suspect valve cover gasket. Does your X5M leak oil all the time?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
vioilio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

It looks like i have small seepage from the vacuum pump on the passenger side rear. Valve cover appears not to be leaking. On the driver side however I cant really tell. Will clean it up the best I can and keep drive it. Then will recheck in about a week or two.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Any photo of leaking oil around vacuum pump area?
I would like check mine but want to see a photo for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioilio View Post
It looks like i have small seepage from the vacuum pump on the passenger side rear. Valve cover appears not to be leaking. On the driver side however I cant really tell. Will clean it up the best I can and keep drive it. Then will recheck in about a week or two.
Mine started leaking around 80k so I had a buddy replace it...seems pretty accessible.

As for the VCG, I'm guessing I've got a slow leak as well since I'm smelling oil while down here in CA for Bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
sam196370
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

2010 X5M

Hi, new to the forum and looking forward to hearing any input regarding this job since I have to do it fairly soon.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
Rcase
AW M Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW Collector

Appreciate any tips on this, just removed turbos chasing a coolant leak and now see a ton of oil on passenger side above the oil filter housing. I can't tell with my camera if it's coming from valve cover or something else. It's significant though which candidly I've never see a vcg cause this much.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rings/ByLdzAno
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      09-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcase View Post
Appreciate any tips on this, just removed turbos chasing a coolant leak and now see a ton of oil on passenger side above the oil filter housing. I can't tell with my camera if it's coming from valve cover or something else. It's significant though which candidly I've never see a vcg cause this much.
Vcg on these engines are pretty robust. Now the upper oil pan gasket will leak 9 /10 of these engines. Vacuum pump seal leaks are common for the passenger side. Check those 2 out first or the vacuum pump because with upper pan gasket its hard to pinpoint as it just weeps all around.
Vcg are a pain.
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      09-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
My first look would be at the vacuum pump o-ring for that area.
Next would actually be upper oil pan gasket, and inspect the area on the oil pan above the filter housing, as a BMW tech I talk to a ton said they can develop a crack due to improper torque sequence on pan installs.
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      09-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #11
Rcase
AW M Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
My first look would be at the vacuum pump o-ring for that area.
Next would actually be upper oil pan gasket, and inspect the area on the oil pan above the filter housing, as a BMW tech I talk to a ton said they can develop a crack due to improper torque sequence on pan installs.
The vacuum pump is the black cannister when viewing up from the bottom I assume? Also assume I have to pull injector and cool harness to get to it?

Car is fairly easy to work on, I have a little time to rebuild the turbo, thankfully as many of you know I have far too many cars, I would rather drive another car and do this right. I was amazed at home much oil was on inducer, catch cans should be a factory install on these.

TIS seems hit and miss sometimes. One will have every step to the detail. Another will say "remove 50 things, remove bolts. Installation reverse"

Since I already bought gaskets I will start on those today, hopefully I can identify the leaks when I am in there. I hate dropping k members given presently sans lift. Otherwise it would have been faster and better on hands to remove the entire drivetrain

Appreciate the tips!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
I would have loved to have done this when replacing the Valvetronic motor, but all the crap on top of the valve covers requiring removal had me nervous, particularly with all the brittle plastic garbage. Definitely not as straightforward as on my MB R230.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
The vacuum pump is the black cannister when viewing up from the bottom I assume? Also assume I have to pull injector and cool harness to get to it?

Car is fairly easy to work on, I have a little time to rebuild the turbo, thankfully as many of you know I have far too many cars, I would rather drive another car and do this right. I was amazed at home much oil was on inducer, catch cans should be a factory install on these.

TIS seems hit and miss sometimes. One will have every step to the detail. Another will say "remove 50 things, remove bolts. Installation reverse"

Since I already bought gaskets I will start on those today, hopefully I can identify the leaks when I am in there. I hate dropping k members given presently sans lift. Otherwise it would have been faster and better on hands to remove the entire drivetrain

Appreciate the tips!
Vacuum pump is easily accessable on the back passenger side of the engine, about the only thing that needs to be removed is the engine cover...it has nothing to do with injectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 05:56 AM   #14
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...49960-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0