XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-07-2017, 03:29 AM   #1
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Clogged turbo water coolant lines?

I've read before about how a few have had issues with these lines getting clogged for whatever reason. In the past I had to replace the aux water pump (bottom left picture in the collage) itself due to making a grinding noise which ended up that the wheel itself broke into a few pieces...typical BMW plastic. I've since replaced the pump, it no longer grinds, and while I can hear it running after shutting off the engine, I'm getting mixed results as the fan doesn't always come on.

I took these pics this evening...turbo coolant tank has bubbles, which leads me to believe the pump is circulating coolant, yet the fluid is cold. I did three JB4 logs tonight so I'd expect it to be at least warm. The three lines feeding the tank are cold as well. I can squeeze each of those three lines and see the water bubbling up in the tank.

What concerns me is the LH line feeding into the passenger turbo is quite warm and fairly stiff while the RH line feeding into the driver turbo is hot and rock hard. It's been this way for as long as I remember ever checking them. The rearmost drivers coolant line has needed replacement for a while since it shows signs of white crusting, but I've never had a fluid level issue so I haven't addressed it.

Can I bother one if you to check yours after you've taken a spirited drive and see if your lines all feel the same as mine to determine if I need to tear into this ASAP if it's truly clogged vs waiting another month or so when I do Bimmerfest prep.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No ones driven their X's in the past few days lol...help a buddy out :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I ran to get a haircut today and checked the lines after. The truck got up to operating temp and I was driving a little aggressively but the drive isn't really that long. I shut the engine off and felt all the hoses. Both the left and right hoses felt pliable and I could feel the coolant running through them. After a short time the right hose stopped running and was a little more firm but I could still feel fluid running through the left one. Couple minutes later it's still the same, I can hear the pump running and fluid is passing through the left hose but not the right and the right is still firm. Does that help?

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Odd...I can't say if I can feel anything running through them and the RH hose is rock hard. Summer is almost here so I'll likely switch over to water wetter and replace all the lines just to be safe. Thanks for checking yours against mine :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #5
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 Custom HPF 900whp Turbo M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
Great Info,

I'm on assignment in the middle east currently so i can't help by checking mine against yours but this did remind me of something...

last summer, i would hear a rattling coming from the top front area of the engine to now find out that was my Auxiliary water pump. i will plan on replacing them both during my Turbo upgrade and Valve stem line replacement.

-Rico
      04-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Mine either rattled or I could hear it whirring like it's free wheeling vs actually having resistance, not to mention the obvious fact that the fan wasn't coming on with the engine off after a hard drive. The pump was like $80 but I get the feeling some pieces of it have moved around and cause blockage since the overflow tank is cold, the three lines going to it are cold and pliable, yet both lines coming from the turbos are hot and rock hard.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Mine either rattled or I could hear it whirring like it's free wheeling vs actually having resistance, not to mention the obvious fact that the fan wasn't coming on with the engine off after a hard drive. The pump was like $80 but I get the feeling some pieces of it have moved around and cause blockage since the overflow tank is cold, the three lines going to it are cold and pliable, yet both lines coming from the turbos are hot and rock hard.
Did you ever pull and replace your hoses? I found a thread discussing the inner diameter of the hoses but no one confirmed 3/8 vs 1/2. I know the N63 is 3/8. Mine are leaking and BMW is asking big money just to replace the short rubbers. Looking to get some silicon hoses and worm clamps.
Appreciate 0