XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Alarm randomly turning on..but with a twist and solution..maybe.

So earlier today I parked my car in front of my apartment building where I can see/hear the E70 from my windows. I've been working from home so the car sits all week long, until the weekends. When I moved it today, not long after, I hear the alarm and see the lights flashing. I turn it off and on. Happens again after 10-15 minutes. Repeat turning off and on. Happens again, this time I just turn it off. I decide to go down and start the car up, move it a bit, and come back up. Sure enough, alarm again. This time I turn it off.

I then start to think about battery going bad, etc etc. Then I remembered that I put the windshield sunshade on. Its from my old E39, but fits 99% perfect. I went down and removed the sunshade because why not. It's been a few hours and no alarm as of yet.

oookkkk... whatever it was, removing the sunshade so far has solved my issue. Weird thing is I've used this sunshade for almost 2 years and thinking back I did have a random alarm issue one day and now think it was because of the shade.

TLDR; Factory front windshield sunshade was somehow triggering the factory alarm. Removed the sunshade and alarm was no longer turning on.