XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-30-2016, 01:26 AM   #23
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

lol any clear coat is going to be etched by bird poo if left in the sun. get it detailed and apply a ceramic coating to give you more paint protection

yeh the incar screen is last gen, they improved the graphics and menus in the facelift f-type but it's still slow. Jag now have an extremely good 10" touch screen now filtering through all the models, and land rovers, so it'll eventually make it's way into f-type as well

but tbh it doesn't bug me as much as i thought it would, as when i'm using the jag, i'm enjoying the theatre of the drive. the bmw, or insert any german here, daily is where a cutting edge incar entertainment is important. sometimes when i drive my collectibles i don't even turn the radio on

as for the stitching lining up, i've seen that thread on the jag forums as well on the first gen cars, no issues here with mine luckily

i do feel for the early adopter guys having quality issues with their first gen cars, and that's the reason i never buy a brand new model from any manufacturer, i always wait for an update or facelift

literally the only issue i've had with mine was a finger print under the clear coat of the black side fender grille, which i only noticed as a hobbiest detailer. i just mentioned in it passing over the phone with my dealer, and a week later a replacement showed up in the post

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #24
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petlizard View Post
I’ll give you my opinion on the build quality of f-types, which, will appears to be different then the other posters here but not from the general f-type-owning population. I bought my f-type in 2014, after owning AMGs and Ms, and currently have just over 30k miles. The quality control of the car leaves lots to be desired for a vehicle that runs into the $100k (I have the v-8). The body panels and passenger door do not line up on my vehicle. The paint chips very easily and if you leave bird dropping on there over several hours while driving in the sun, it will “bake” that shape into the clear coating.
I do have leather everywhere but the stitching don’t line up from the dash to the doors. This is a rampant complain with f type owners on their forum. The plastic area near the cup holders feels economy to the touch, and scratches very easily. The temperature knobs and control buttons (active exhaust, spoiler, etc.) have a very cheap, Chevy-like, feel to them. Especially when compared to like a 911 or AMG GT-S (best interior I’ve seen so far in this price bracket).
But the worst feature of the f-types is the electronics. The main interphase looks and acts about ten years behind the rest of the competition. Changing an iPod-connected song with this unit takes 2 second (I’d actually timed it) from the time you hit the arrow until the song actually changes. Nav looks worst than my Dodge’s Durango and there’s no voice control. In fact, I prefer the interior and electronics of my e92 m3 over what’s in my f-type.
With all that said, I love my car for being beautiful, loud, and wild. If you can over look/accept all the flaws -I have- to get all the features that it brings then you’ll be fine. But don’t expect it to be the be-all end-all car. As a weekend, second or third vehicle, I can live with it's short comings but would think differently if I was to have it as the only one car.
I have the 2016 model with the updated multimedia. Still not as good as de iDrive but much beter than the old infotainment. I know the interior is not the same as the AMG GTS but the AMG is 30k more. I really don't care about these little things. This car makes me smile every time I drive it. For the price, there is nothing out there that sounds and looks like this.
      09-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #25
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

I did for a brief moment cross shop an amg gt when buying the jag, but I didn't get that feeling of it being a purpose built new car when all the switch gear, main gauge binacle and nav menus were identical to the cla45 I had at the time - also as an sls owner i felt it was a bit redundant
Appreciate 0