XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-31-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M - sometimes

Question Fuel System? related ticking...

This issue on my e70 X5M is driving me crazy...

A few months ago I started noticing that I would have some sort of 'ticking' noise that only occurs under specific circumstances...that is, when I am pressing on the gas pedal. When its at idle, or coasting, or any other time, the ticking does not occur...its ONLY when I am asking for fuel. (this is not the normal/expected, at idle ticking noise)

I did not have this issue until after the injectors were replaced (Dec '15).
Its been sitting with the dealer for the past 3 weeks getting other stuff done (AC Evaporator, air suspension, lower steering joint assy, and some other stuff they found along the way) but primarily to try and determine what is causing this sound...so far they have no root cause.

It must be something in the fuel delivery system...Im guessing...as it only occurs when the gas pedal is pressed. It is a constant tick, it doesnt vary with speed. If it was in the cylinder head, I would imagine the ticking would be there constantly.

I spoke at length with the shop foreman, who is a good guy that I have talked to many times, and was very honest and up front about how they can do certain things to remedy these kinds of issues, and can replace things within their level of approval, but obviously cant just drop a new engine in (although he would love to). Their next step is to replace the HPFPs, although they admit it is likely not the issue. From there, they are talking about pulling the cylinder head apart and replacing valve train components. Again, not sure how that could be the issue, given there is no ticking at idle.

Just putting this on here, hoping maybe someone else might have encountered this issue themselves or has an idea what it might be...because right now, BMW is doing the 'try this and see what happens' game. Seems they don't really have a good procedure to troubleshoot noises of unknown origin.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

My suspicion is that the sound you describe is the fuel injectors going bad. I have a '13 X5M and noticed that around 20,000 miles the the engine started to produce a much more noticeable ticking sound, I describe it as a sewing machine. I have since had the S63 injector recall work done replacing all 8 injectors. Although the sound is not completely gone, it is considerably quieter.

I was told that the ticking sound was a by product of the extremely high pressures these injectors make and therefore some noise is considered normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

thing is, Ive had them all replaced recently...and 3 of them replaced twice. Seems like injectors is the weak link in the s63. Trying to get BMW to replace or even check them again is almost pointless, unless they have an actual fault to reference, since BMW wont let their service centers do much these days on their own - even when it appears to be common sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

IIRC, I read a post about injectors being repeatedly replaced because of failure or imminent failure. My hope is that this latest recall is a sign that they have the injector design fixed.

My SA told me that the issue with the injectors can lead to total engine failure if not addressed. That's a really scary "wait and see" proposition if you ask me. I understand your frustration. You would think that the loud noise should be enough for them to further investigate given the history of the injectors-not to mention the alternative!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Dchl21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5m / E55 / C63

mine ticks too. I heard theres nothing we can do. my injectors are updated as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchl21 View Post
mine ticks too. I heard theres nothing we can do. my injectors are updated as well.
when you are driving, do they tick when you are on the gas pedal...and stop when you let it coast?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
IIRC, I read a post about injectors being repeatedly replaced because of failure or imminent failure. My hope is that this latest recall is a sign that they have the injector design fixed.

My SA told me that the issue with the injectors can lead to total engine failure if not addressed. That's a really scary "wait and see" proposition if you ask me. I understand your frustration. You would think that the loud noise should be enough for them to further investigate given the history of the injectors-not to mention the alternative!
Ive actually had 3 of the 'new index' injectors replaced because they went bad after a few months...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I can hear a pronounced tick, well beyond that of the injectors themselves. It comes and goes, but mine does it while driving and idling. I wrote it off as valve tapping after some limited research but I'm not sure if that's what it is and how serious it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I can hear a pronounced tick, well beyond that of the injectors themselves. It comes and goes, but mine does it while driving and idling. I wrote it off as valve tapping after some limited research but I'm not sure if that's what it is and how serious it is.
I am having the same issue. It is really hard to describe because it comes and goes. Hard to replicate for the service advisor because it is sporadic. I have an appointment for some other items next week so will try to get them to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc1102 View Post
I am having the same issue. It is really hard to describe because it comes and goes. Hard to replicate for the service advisor because it is sporadic. I have an appointment for some other items next week so will try to get them to look at it.
Could be same issue as OP but at a different stage (early/late) of the problem. Mine started doing it after Index-12 injectors were installed. I really have no performance issues besides the annoying tick.

Best way I found to describe it is, to me it sounds like a gas stove igniter but a little big quicker...suspected the spark plugs but no change after doing those.

Please let me know if you find anything out. I noticed that some of the N54 guys have had the same issue, dealer diagnosed it as valve tick and deemed it normal.

Doesn't sound normal...

Last edited by mirob; 04-04-2016 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Could be same issue as OP but at a different stage (early/late) of the problem. Mine started doing it after Index-12 injectors were installed. I really have no performance issues besides the annoying tick.

Best way I found to describe it is, to me it sounds like a gas stove igniter but a little big quicker...suspected the spark plugs but no change after doing those.

Please let me know if you find anything out. I noticed that some of the N54 guys have had the same issue, dealer diagnosed it as valve tick and deemed it normal.

Doesn't sound normal...
that is a good description of the sound...stove or bbq igniter ticking, but higher frequency. Also agree it doesn't sound normal, but not really in a mood to have BMW rip the cylinder head apart looking for what it MIGHT be.
Appreciate 0