XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

X6 No Rear Wiper WTF

I hadn't even noticed this at all until a few minutes ago trolling through someone elses post but there is no Rear Windshield wiper for the X6.

It rains a lot where im from and I am concerned about the visibility. I hope BMW will remedy this and make a kit that can be installed at the dealership. Thats an important necessity for people who live in rainy climates and it should be an option on a one hundred thousand dollar car.

Can anyone tell me what there driving experience is in the rain with no rear wiper. I live in the Northwest and this is kinda a big deal for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

The slope of the rear window should suffice. If it was necessary it would be on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I am surprised to. After my delivery, I actually went back to see if it was an option I missed. I bet the 2011 will have one.

My experience that we don't really use the rear window anyway!
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
The slope of the rear window should suffice. If it was necessary it would be on it.
Ya but like the poster below you said, this is the first year production model for the X6M, this car will have many problems, recalls or lessons learned. The X6M model wont get good until the 3rd or 4th year if it lasts that long. It will take a couple years for them to perfect this new style of car.

Basicaly, every dedicated BMW X6M owner will have a crappy model in a couple years when they change the design and look. Over the next couple of years they will perfect the design and we will essentially have the problematic 1st year models which people will try to stay away from.

Is buying a 1st year edition of the X6M worth it, probably not; is buying a 3rd or 4th year after bugs and rear exhaust appeal are worked out, definately. I just want the 50i rear on the X6M is all, they wanted to be different is what they were trying to do, but failed miserably, instead of hitting the nail on the head of the hammer and driving it home, BMW really bent the nail with the rear by not integrating the exhaust tips into the rear bumper for the high end car look.

This quad exhaust setup is something you see on American cars / cheap ricers.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

It is different.. and I think you are right they have some styling issues with the rear of the X6m.. I actually love the idea of it more than the finished product. It looks so similar to the rear of the E9x M3. It just looks a bit odd on an SAV. The pipes are very small and they are very close which effects its proportionality(is that a word?).

I had the first year of the E92 335 and there were problems..(there still are) But overall I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. I lease cars for many reasons, but this is a good example of one.

The M cars need to have distinguishably different characteristics than the normal models. I love the rectangular exhaust. But a properly designed rear valance and quad exhaust could make you completely forget about how nice the rectangular exhaust looks.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

The slope of the rear window makes it run off. The rear window is to let light in , you really can't use it to drive with. Use the side mirrors like you are driving a suv, looking out the rear window at cars behind you they will seem too close (they aren't,punch pdc and look at screen), only good for seeing way off in the distance to view approaching ticket givers.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
randombloke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 35d, Audi R8

I'd have liked a rear wiper too - I do use the rear mirror all the time when I'm driving and the slope isn't always sufficient to shift the water from it. Can't think of any recent german manufacturer car I've had that had a rear wiper though...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
My 911 does and it never sees rain. Maybe I can swap!
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
eg3
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

The rear wiper on trucks is there to clear out any mud & water coming from the tires. There's an air circulation at the rear that throws the dirty water to the rear window on most trucks. Since X6's rear window has a shallow slope and is further away from the rear bumper, it won't get dirty this way. Any excess water on the rear window will clear out when you start driving..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I am amazed by the amount of people who purchase $75k cars without looking at them.

Obviously there ar going after a badge and totalling ignoring the features of a particular vehicle.

For all of you clueless ones let's get everything in the open.

1. There is no rear wiper
2. The rear view camera looks as bad as it did when you test drove the car BEFORE you signed the papers.
3. No you can't watch DVD's while driving.
4. Yes the gas mileage is bad.
5. Yes iDrive boots slow compared to other cars, even the new version is slow
6. Yes the car has run flats
7. Yes the spare is now an option, don't forget to order
8. And no you can't have a frickin 5th seat, buy a frickin X5 if you need one.

The forum is as repetitive as a whore in church.
      11-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Funny, it is one of the reasons I would buy an x6 over an x5 because the back window (when it requires a viper) is often very dirty because the viper only cleans half of it. The back window does not actually catch a lot of rain (due to the slope as mentioned above).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #12
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

[QUOTE=chuck92103;6148602]I am amazed by the amount of people who purchase $75k cars without looking at them.

Obviously there ar going after a badge and totalling ignoring the features of a particular vehicle.

2. The rear view camera looks as bad as it did when you test drove the car BEFORE you signed the papers.

[QUOTE]

This is tooo funny
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

[quote=Croatian;6150848][quote=chuck92103;6148602]I am amazed by the amount of people who purchase $75k cars without looking at them.

Quote:

This is tooo funny
Sarcasm of course. Was feeling a bit giddy.
      11-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I am amazed by the amount of people who purchase $75k cars without looking at them.

I have never been inside an X6 or driven one and I have only seen them on the road. I made the purchase online, over the phone and through e-mail. I live overseas and I just want a tight car every time I travel back to the states to drive around; so please forgive the indulgence. I do however trust that for $100,000 USD I am getting a sweet ride. Thats why I didnt even need to see or drive the car first. I made the purchase strictly off research done through these forums, the internet, videos on YouTube & reviews.

I'm not your typical guy, this is my vacation car for my vacation house in the US lol. I'm not an expert by any means with vehicles, I am consumed with work. This car is all about the image and a way to reward myself for the hard work the last couple years. It's a way for me to say Fuck You to all the assholes that had doubts in me and told me I would be working at McDonalds when I grew up.

I do love reading your stories and opinions on here and having a way to share insight with other people who can afford high end cars. The good thing about this forum is the fact that there probably arent many or any scrubs on here, if you can drive a BMW, you probably have your act together and are a decent person. Thats a big assumption lol...

Last edited by artrosis; 11-04-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

artrosis I will assume you changed you message , email with your quote is totally different.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #16
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Wiper?

Haven't u guys heard of Rain X ? or products that seals glass so water just beads & rolls off. With rain x u hardly need wipers in the front if u drive fast enuf. The airstream will blow it all away.
Besides all wipers look ugly. The way the front ones sit up @ the bottom of the windscreen is hideous. But so are the wipers on the Porsche.
Wipers are the least improved part of the automobile since the ford Model T.
It still needs a frame to hold a strip of rubber!
Let's look at the wipers on the Bugatti Veyron...is it any better?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The forum is as repetitive as a whore in church.
++1
no sure about the last line
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
......The way the front ones sit up @ the bottom of the windscreen is hideous. ..........

Agree considering all the effort that went into styling it looks like the wipers were an after thought. like "oh ya we have to put some wipers on, check the spare parts bin".
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

http://www.nwb.co.jp/e/encyclo/history.html

It has been almost 30 years since there was a significant change in Wiper Blade technology...

How sad is that!!! But maybe that is because we were stuck focusing on ways to make wiper blades unnecessary... a la RainX
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #20
Low Note
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3/2010 X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosis View Post
I hadn't even noticed this at all until a few minutes ago trolling through someone elses post but there is no Rear Windshield wiper for the X6.

It rains a lot where im from and I am concerned about the visibility. I hope BMW will remedy this and make a kit that can be installed at the dealership. Thats an important necessity for people who live in rainy climates and it should be an option on a one hundred thousand dollar car.

Can anyone tell me what there driving experience is in the rain with no rear wiper. I live in the Northwest and this is kinda a big deal for me.
I got my 2010 X6 5.0 last week, and had it in some heavy rain up in Pennsylvania on back roads and PA Turnpike, which is a dangerous road even in the best weather. No problem with the rear window. With the HUGE side mirrors (and they are huge...thank goodness they can be folded in) and top view camera on the 2010 models (only rear view camera was available in 2009model year), I haven't had to really use the rear window for parking at all. It is amazing, however, how well I could see traffic behind me through the rear window even in the heavy rain (!). It probably has something to do with the rake of the glass in the rear hatch. So not to worry.

BTW, the 2010 X6 5.0 is clearly the best driving and best built car I've ever bought (and I have owned many BMW's and Mercedes vehicles since 1972). It just goes to show that US workers are as good (or better) than anyone else on the planet. Fit, finish, and performance of this vehicle is amazing. And BMW has finally got the I-drive to be so intuitive that you don't even need to read the owner's manual. Try figuring out the navigation system in any Mercedes product. Bet it will take you the better part of a day, and then it still won't work. Oh, and for the real kicker....Mercedes has de-contented the fold in mirror option on most of their fleet. Why? Because customers were complaining that they squeaked when they folded in. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

We just came back from a ski-trip in the X6 and I can say that snow, dirt, etc. were never a problem on the rear window. Our X5 needs a wiper back there, and it gets used frequently anytime the roads are wet, snowy, or dusty. The airflow over the X6 must be enough to keep all of that mess off of the glass asI didn't even consider cleaning it when I stopped to fill the tank. The tailights- they do get filthy!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #22
Ian J
Rep
Drives: BMW G29 Z4 2.0

Quote:
I bought my X6 in the summer and one doesn't think about such things as rear wipers when the sun is shining.

Now we're into Autumn and every morning the outside of the car is covered with condensation which a rear wiper would clear with one flick.

I'm of normal height but I can't clear the condensation off the rear window without leaning on the car and getting my clothes all wet and my wife who is quite petite can't even reach the window at all.

Either a design flaw or cost cutting measure methinks
Appreciate 0