XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Took the X5 in for service -- scam or no -- you decide

Just this past Thanksgiving my X5 alerted me that I needed to bring it in for service -- however instead of a dash indicator, the message came via email. I was actually curious if this was real or not. But the email said that ac pollen filter needed changing. So I took it in.

Early this week I got another email telling me the car needed service. Again no dash indicator -- well not initially. I got the email on Monday and dropped it off this afternoon. I called BMW and asked if the car really needed to brought in because this time it simply said service needed.

I understand these cars are pretty sophisticated but if their gonna email me to bring the car in, it seems like they could say what the problem was. I did the diagnosis and got everything was fine. So I tell this to the SA when I drop it off and she says there was a code in the email and it says the problem. She inserts my key into her desk device and tells me that the truck needs a software update and the equivalent of a "tune up." The hand me the keys to a new F30 which I figured was the real plan all along.

Well it takes about 25 mins to get back home when I pull into the drive way and the phone rings. Work is done. Car is ready. Oh yeah, your 2011 X5 with 22,000 miles needs to have the two front tires rotated and then a 4 wheel alignment. Cost $310.

Question, is it possible that this was missed when the truck was in for service in November? Do these software updates actually exist? And besides service A, B, or C what is the equivalent of a "tune up." And can all of that be done in less than 25 mins? Did I mention that when I pulled away the X5 was still sitting in the customer service bay parking area?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

There are software updates, but I've never been emailed or alerted by the car to take it in. Usually they just do the software update when I take it in for service. To get anything done in a BMW dealership in 25 min is nothing short of finding a unicorn, a leprechaun and a pot of gold all at the same time.
      01-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I received the same letter from BMW on my 50i. My dealer said it had to do with emissions. I told him that I didn't want my truck updated, no problem. Last time I did something like this was on my E63AMG, not knowing any better, and it really messed up the car to a point where it would just bog at the slightest peddle travel. The dealer wouldn't do anything because no code is showing up. Just said sorry....so I said never again!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

What's in the papers they gave you back? There's no such thing as 'tune up', so it has to be something more specific.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
What's in the papers they gave you back? There's no such thing as 'tune up', so it has to be something more specific.
Instead of going to pick it up I decided to take the f30 rental car for an extended drive. I keep thinking over and over again that the alignment and rotation issue would have been noticed last month if they were real. As for the software update, I'm now wondering if all it will do is undo the coding that I had done last year to allow me to close the tailgate with the interior button along with the ability to see what speed the navigation says I'm going versus the speedometer. Cost me only 20 bucks, but still since the truck was operating just fine I'll be disappointed if these were taken away.

I'll take the car back tomorrow and look at the papers closely they give me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Yep, your coding will be gone. They updated my software about 6 months ago and I lost my DVD inmotion, folding mirrors, tailgate with the remote, rain and light sensor sensitivity. Luckily I created a back up file so I can code everything back in a matter of minutes.
      01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone think that the alignment issue is real?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

BMW specifically says the tires should not be rotated - I think that is in the manual. So if the dealer is telling you that should be done (especially side to side on the fronts!) then it is a scam.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay, after putting 350 miles on the F30 with an indicated 34.6 mpg (more on that in another post) I finally took it back and picked up my X5.

The paperwork is mostly a bunch of gibberish.

STANDARD SCOPE IS DUE
CAUSE: STANDARD SCOPE SERVICE
00001015 PERFORM STANDARD SCOPE SERVICE
4516 WM
FC: 85990501MP

29166 CBS DATA SHOWS DUE FOR STANDARD SCOPE CHECK (WM) - COMPLETED

NOTES: RECOMMEND ROTATE & BALANCE TIRES, ALIGNMENT *****

The CSA was already gone by the time I went to pick up my X5 (my fault I know) but other than getting a half washed X5 and 2 days to test out an F30 I'm not sure what happened. Oh and the coding wasn't affected at all. So was anything done at all to the X5 or was this all about pitching me on the tire rotation and 4 wheel alignment. My visual inspection btw doesn't show anything interesting about any of the tires. I'll probably take it over to the mechanic that works on my Cayman and get a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

sounds like a scam - I hope you didn't pay for the software to be updated as it should be done for free under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
jerseygirl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan View Post
Just this past Thanksgiving my X5 alerted me that I needed to bring it in for service -- however instead of a dash indicator, the message came via email. I was actually curious if this was real or not. But the email said that ac pollen filter needed changing. So I took it in.

Early this week I got another email telling me the car needed service. Again no dash indicator -- well not initially. I got the email on Monday and dropped it off this afternoon. I called BMW and asked if the car really needed to brought in because this time it simply said service needed.

I understand these cars are pretty sophisticated but if their gonna email me to bring the car in, it seems like they could say what the problem was. I did the diagnosis and got everything was fine. So I tell this to the SA when I drop it off and she says there was a code in the email and it says the problem. She inserts my key into her desk device and tells me that the truck needs a software update and the equivalent of a "tune up." The hand me the keys to a new F30 which I figured was the real plan all along.

Well it takes about 25 mins to get back home when I pull into the drive way and the phone rings. Work is done. Car is ready. Oh yeah, your 2011 X5 with 22,000 miles needs to have the two front tires rotated and then a 4 wheel alignment. Cost $310.

Question, is it possible that this was missed when the truck was in for service in November? Do these software updates actually exist? And besides service A, B, or C what is the equivalent of a "tune up." And can all of that be done in less than 25 mins? Did I mention that when I pulled away the X5 was still sitting in the customer service bay parking area?

Thoughts?
ripp off you should pay nothing
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
minnmarker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 xDrive35i, 2003 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
I just had a 4 wheel alignment and tires rotated for $165 out the door. Perhaps you live in an expensive part f the country.

Of note on the emissions upgrade. I have a 2003 M3 that they wanted to "upgrade." after consulting that forum I declined it and the dealer was fine with that. They did other software upgrades but left the engine performance as it was. One nive benefit was that after the flashing I ended up with a feature only the European models are supposed to have (adjustable mirror tilt in reverse). Interesting how much of what these vehicles can do depends on the software.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
GL888
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i F30 m sport

What about in Sydney, has anyone compared BMW to run of the mill workshop with genuine parts?

Is it really better value going to non-bmw workshop?
Appreciate 0