XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

Should never have started the X6 yesterday...

One of those "Shoulda stayed home" days...

Came out of Lowes yesterday to find coolant leaking from under the truck. Enough to worry me that I might not make it home (10 minutes away).

Drove home and changed the oil/filter, couldn't readily locate the coolant leak. Did find an oil leak though.
Add it to the list......

Made an emergency appointment at the dealership in Fort Myers for that afternoon. Also strained the old oil looking for more of the mystery plastic, found none. But I'm convinced without a doubt that it came from the timing chain guides. I can see the guides from the oil fill opening and the plastic is that same reddish-brown.

Driving to the dealership, I notice a rough feeling on the throttle whenever the compressor kicks in. Like a bearing chewing itself up. WTF?
Add it to the list

Two miles from the dealership, I mat the throttle to avoid a mobile imbecile with a drivers license. Squat. Nothing other than the traction control light kicking on for a millisecond (Really? Rolling straight at 20 mph and I need traction control LOL) . I could have hit the cigarette lighter and gotten the same response.
Add it to the list

Just got a call from the dealership; Water pump leaking, covered by extended warranty. He recommends replacing the thermostat at the same time. Really? The morons up north told us this truck had no t-stat. Even down here in FL, the truck took forever to warm up. T-stat's not covered by the warranty, so with labor we're looking at around $250. Not too bad.

The tranny belly pan somehow got wacked and is touching the tranny case, so they're replacing that.

As well, the driveshaft recall which was supposedly addressed wasn't, so they're replacing that as well as another recall for the drivers' side airbag.

I told the service advisor that it would have taken less time if he'd listed what's still good on the truck......
2019 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

Rushing back to post on the results, seeing as so many here seemed to be worried sick for me and my troubles *rolls eyes*

Only just got it back this am.

- Water pump replaced due to leak, covered under my $3500 extended warranty
- Replaced t-stat at my own expense, recommended by BMW. Took forever to warm up before, I see no difference now. Outta pocket for about $300
- Oil-filter housing gasket replaced due to leak
- Grumbling a/c compressor actually turned out to be the tranny bell pan was banged and rubbing against the tranny body. Outta pocket for $300
- Front thrust rod bushing separated. Outta pocket for $600
- Recall for air-bag, drivers side, replaced at no charge
- Recall for front driveshaft, replaced at no charge

So in the end, the extended warranty covered $2,730 in repairs as well as the car rental. Just knowing that I'm at least getting back some of the investment when I bought the extended warranty makes me feel better. And, I still have coverage for another year. Could be worse...
2019 4Runner
Appreciate 1
yco5720.50