XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

03-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
WinnieX
ze Germans
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5

To chip or not to chip ...

' ello guys,

Not sure if this been discussed before - but what are your thoughts on diesel tuning chip's? One's like - bluefin, mcchip, etc ... They all claim to give you more power, more tq, and less fuel... hmmm?

Cheers
      03-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

you might want to post that question in the X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification forum:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=308
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
M3 CS
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3 CS

I“ve a p-tronic chip and VERY satisfied. I drive a 35d and you can really FEEL it.
My fuel consumpion is 11,2 km/100km (45000km)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

the new 306hp diesel Xdrive40d can be tuned to 400hp. very nice!

Tuning is fairly safe on a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
WinnieX
ze Germans
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank's for reply's - will go ahead and chip it
      03-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
cheeseboy78
Rep
Drives: X5

I find it amusing - bmw engineers pour thousands of hours into developing and fine tuning the engines, gearbox, chassis, drivetrain, management and stability systems to work in harmony with each other - to give the optimum in performance without sacrificing the longevity of any parts, and then along comes a hack (errr I mean tuner) and offers "more power" from your engine. Sure go ahead. I wouldn“t - but then again, what would I know
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
X6M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

This is perfectly safe to chip your diesel. Even BMW is offering now this service for some crazy money. In London, I would recommend DMS (http://www.dmsautomotive.com) or Evolve (these guys are actually on E90post, http://www.evo-s.co.uk). These are one of the best chip tuners around London.

For X6 (diesel) you would be looking at £350-700 for a quality chip tuning
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
ivanri
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X6 35D

I have one question, after you chipped up your engine in my case 35d, and before service you disconnect your chip box, could guys from bmw service discover that you chipped you car if yes than i lose my warranty, BMW is covered by a limited warranty for defects in materials or workmanship for the first four years or 50000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
jfewins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseboy78 View Post
I find it amusing - bmw engineers pour thousands of hours into developing and fine tuning the engines, gearbox, chassis, drivetrain, management and stability systems to work in harmony with each other - to give the optimum in performance without sacrificing the longevity of any parts, and then along comes a hack (errr I mean tuner) and offers "more power" from your engine. Sure go ahead. I wouldn“t - but then again, what would I know

I may be wrong, but considering the engine in the x50i is the same as the X6M, and the factory HP is 400 in the former and 555 in the later, some decisions coming out of BMW may have less to do with longevity than with marketing 2 different products to 2 different groups using the same parts. You think it costs Intel $600 more to build the i7 3.33 ghz compared to the 2.8?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
X6M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanri View Post
I have one question, after you chipped up your engine in my case 35d, and before service you disconnect your chip box, could guys from bmw service discover that you chipped you car if yes than i lose my warranty, BMW is covered by a limited warranty for defects in materials or workmanship for the first four years or 50000 miles.
If you chip the engine, you cannot disconnect anything and this is completely invisible to a dealer. Or you can buy an external box (less torque and power though) and disconnect it before you go to the dealer for the service.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
ivanri
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X6 35D

The point is when the dealer connect computer to engine he has complitly history of everything and all engine data,so I just wondering when you disconnect your chip box fm engine does the car save that changes in his memory if does than the dealer can easy see and you losing warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #12
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseboy78 View Post
Any quality product with R+D is required to meet minimum standards and in BMW's case will be far above those requirements.

Qouted figures are a guide only, eg a tyres maximum rating might state max speed of 170mph. But does that mean that your tyres will explode at 171mph?
A bridge will take x amount of cars, will x+1 cause the bridge to come crashing down? There are always safety margins built in as manufacturers and governments know people will always push the limits and aloow for this.

A power rating for an engine does not mean that is the maximum tolerated. Take BMWs 3.0 inline 6 engines. There are various different states of tune accross the world according to market. The 3.0L engine is used in 323, 325, 330. All the same engines with different states of tunes the only difference being perhaps intake and manifold/exhaust.

Also, asides from marketing another reason for these conservative numbers is that one engine fits all scenario eg 330 in uk - cold, rain, snow and then Australia - harsh climates. There is a margin of safety built in to withstand different environments. The other variable is the driver. The average driver may not look after their cars.... but as enthusiasts who change their oil every 5k, service their car regularly , use 98RON etc etc then upping power 10-30% should be relatively safe.

However, I do understand the flip side of the argument and that you induce more wear and tear by working the components harder.

In the end though, if you want to chip then be prepared ''you gotta pay to play''. However, if you ask DMS automotive Uk though I think they have no known major failures or issues with their chipped cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
X6M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanri View Post
The point is when the dealer connect computer to engine he has complitly history of everything and all engine data,so I just wondering when you disconnect your chip box fm engine does the car save that changes in his memory if does than the dealer can easy see and you losing warranty.
I do not know a single person loosing the warranty because the car has been chipped. I am repeating what I have said before - this is completely invisible to the dealer if you disconnect the box. If you have fuel mapping program changed (chip tuning) again you do not have to disconnect anything and this is as well invisible to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
WinnieX
ze Germans
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The other variable is the driver. The average driver may not look after their cars.... but as enthusiasts who change their oil every 5k, service their car regularly , use 98RON etc etc then upping power 10-30% should be relatively safe.
- agreed with x5mad, if you dont look after your car, you could ruin it in couple years even without chip or remap