XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Question Eye Burning Smell

searched the forum but i couldnt find similar topic.. not everytime but sometimes when i accelerate hardly such a smell is coming from vents that burns eyes and even nose.. its not like oil, its not like rotten egg, its not like burnt plastic.. but the scent is pretty sharp and really burns eyes and nose.. anyone had such problem?

i couldnt look closely but i guess something is dripping on something hot and makes such a scent.. like steering hydraulic or something like that.. cant say is there a close relation since it wasnt the first time but brake fluid changed in BMW service last week maybe some hydraulic splashed somewhere donno.. before car spent few hours in the service such a scent was coming also but it was really really rare actually i was thinking it was coming from some other car like a faulty catt or something.. and there were times i was pushing the car much more than today.. any idea ll be appreciated.. thank you..

PS: may sound weird but im suspecting brake pads also.. cause that smell comes in after a bit harder braking i believe..

Last edited by yco; 03-09-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
searched the forum but i couldnt find similar topic.. not everytime but sometimes when i accelerate hardly such a smell is coming from vents that burns eyes and even nose.. its not like oil, its not like rotten egg, its not like burnt plastic.. but the scent is pretty sharp and really burns eyes and nose.. anyone had such problem?

i couldnt look closely but i guess something is dripping on something hot and makes such a scent.. like steering hydraulic or something like that.. cant say is there a close relation since it wasnt the first time but brake fluid changed in BMW service last week maybe some hydraulic splashed somewhere donno.. before car spent few hours in the service such a scent was coming also but it was really really rare actually i was thinking it was coming from some other car like a faulty catt or something.. and there were times i was pushing the car much more than today.. any idea ll be appreciated.. thank you..
Lift your engine cover and check the small coolant hoses for leaks. Follow the arrows.

I used to get a ruthless smell inside the cabin when mine leaked, smelled nothing like coolant/antifreeze but more like acid. No issues after I tightened them.

Look for dry/hardened coolant/antifreeze. Check underneath the hoses where they "could" potentially leak and see if anything is accumulating/drying on the hot metal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
yco5724.50
      03-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i guess i have the same issue mirob.. cause its 2 degree over here and steam started to be visible.. i ll make it checked today.. thanks for helping. !!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Check your plastic pieces above the engine bay and on top of the firewall directly over the motor. Burning/dripping plastic pieces were noxious AF.
Appreciate 1
yco5724.50
      04-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Check your plastic pieces above the engine bay and on top of the firewall directly over the motor. Burning/dripping plastic pieces were noxious AF.
YUp,
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6430

Item #10 and 14.

I replaced mine due to crack, it help with eye-burning sting for a while now it's back. The passenger side is crack again (due to engine heat), I sealed it with high-temp sealant replaced the carbon cabin filter and yet it still there.
BTW, no melting plastic, they just deterior

Oh well
Appreciate 0