XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Strange tire wear (front)

I got a question regarding front tire wear. I have tried searching but can not really find a proper answer.
My car is an 30D MSport 2012 with adaptive drive and adaptive steering. Running 19" with 255 in front and 285 in back Conti Run Flat. Currently done 41000km.
I have been paying a lot attention about having the correct air pressure in the tires and currently (up to about 4000 km ago) not seen any uneven tire wear, so I have been assuming wheel alignment have been okay. 4000 km ago we went on a trip from Switzerland to Scandinavia and due to high speed drive through Germany plus extra luggage etc, I increased pressure with about 10% to 2,9Bar/38 psi in front and a bit more rear. Car have been driving perfect with this. Just back and noted a sudden wear (quite a lot actually) on the outside of the front tires (no issue back). Before the trip wear were even all over the tread, but now a different story. Have to say wear is consistent on both right and left tire, and the car is not pulling to either side. I am therefor wondering if this extra air pressure can force a bad wheel alignment? - Lets say it was "just on the edge" before, but now with extra air it is suddenly out of alignment?
Anybody with same experience / advise?

Thanks
JensM
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM View Post
I got a question regarding front tire wear. I have tried searching but can not really find a proper answer.
My car is an 30D MSport 2012 with adaptive drive and adaptive steering. Running 19" with 255 in front and 285 in back Conti Run Flat. Currently done 41000km.
I have been paying a lot attention about having the correct air pressure in the tires and currently (up to about 4000 km ago) not seen any uneven tire wear, so I have been assuming wheel alignment have been okay. 4000 km ago we went on a trip from Switzerland to Scandinavia and due to high speed drive through Germany plus extra luggage etc, I increased pressure with about 10% to 2,9Bar/38 psi in front and a bit more rear. Car have been driving perfect with this. Just back and noted a sudden wear (quite a lot actually) on the outside of the front tires (no issue back). Before the trip wear were even all over the tread, but now a different story. Have to say wear is consistent on both right and left tire, and the car is not pulling to either side. I am therefor wondering if this extra air pressure can force a bad wheel alignment? - Lets say it was "just on the edge" before, but now with extra air it is suddenly out of alignment?
Anybody with same experience / advise?

Thanks
JensM
The outside wear on the front of e70x5 is common.
There is no camber adjustment and the OE spec is for unusual positive camber.
I have 2 sets of front tires that wore on the outside 1st and i am very annoyed by this.
I am installing Eibach lowering springs to induce front camber, lower the center of gravity and improve the look of the car.
I dont know if this will solve the problem, but i do know that there is no adjustability for the front camber of the e70x5 unless you install different BMW OE fixed upper camber arms.
I have the 20" sport package x5d 275/315
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
I have 2 sets of front tires that wore on the outside 1st and i am very annoyed by this.
I am installing Eibach lowering springs to induce front camber, lower the center of gravity and improve the look of the car.
I dont know if this will solve the problem, but i do know that there is no adjustability for the front camber of the e70x5 unless you install different BMW OE fixed upper camber arms.

Thanks Mastek,
I have also read a lot about this outside wear, I am however not sure all E70 suffer from this problem? - could imaging the wider tires could add to this problem.
Since I have just started to see this (over the last 4000KM / 2 weeks) and I have normally been very careful inspecting (measuring with a caliper) and adjusting the air pressure accordingly, I was just wondering if mine is wearing faster by adding to high pressure and by this make the problem worse? - I mean, 4000 km ago where I were running with lower pressure the wear were even flat over the tire surface.
If too low pressure, you normally will bear the edges on both sides.

Thanks
JensM
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM
Quote:

Thanks Mastek,
I have also read a lot about this outside wear, I am however not sure all E70 suffer from this problem? - could imaging the wider tires could add to this problem.
Since I have just started to see this (over the last 4000KM / 2 weeks) and I have normally been very careful inspecting (measuring with a caliper) and adjusting the air pressure accordingly, I was just wondering if mine is wearing faster by adding to high pressure and by this make the problem worse? - I mean, 4000 km ago where I were running with lower pressure the wear were even flat over the tire surface.
If too low pressure, you normally will bear the edges on both sides.

Thanks
JensM
No - increased tire pressure will normally cause the center of tire to wear more. Higher pressure results in a slightly rounder profile.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

On the e70 X5, outer edge tire wear is due to one thing, and one thing only: excessive toe-in.

As noted above, camber is not adjustable, but if outside BMW spec, a repair/replacement of suspension components is covered under warranty.

Get the alignment right. Don't just drop the car off at you favorite BMW dealer and say "alignment please". An alignment will be performed and will be within the BMW specifications, but since that spec is sooo wide, you'll end up with the same problem. Tell them that you want the toe-in to be near zero, but not quite zero. Experience has shown that a value of 0.02 will give you optimal tire wear.

But there-in also lies the problem: you need to find a tech who is willing to take the time to play with the adjustment(s) until he gets a reading of 0.02, and no drift!

BTW, any competent shop can do such an alignment at a fraction of the cost BMW dealers charge ...
      08-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

You can add up to -0.5 of camber with a replacement arm from BMW. Of course lowering your car will do roughly the same too.

Both are about the same cost, both need an alignment. One just compromises handling a touch, but is aesthetically more pleasing.

The last post about toe is correct, it's vital to be set to near 0.00 as possible. Though its not always the outside of the tire that can wear, it just depends on other factors... I had a truck that had a scalloped inner edge wear down due to incorrect toe. Made a whoop whoop thumping down the highway.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Thanks to all the answers

Seems like it is a "built in" feature of the car, and only was to deal with it is to adjust the toe-in close to zero.
How will this affect the steering of the car? - I assume there is a purpose with the org setting by BMW.

Thanks
JensM
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks to all the answers

Seems like it is a "built in" feature of the car, and only was to deal with it is to adjust the toe-in close to zero.
How will this affect the steering of the car? - I assume there is a purpose with the org setting by BMW.

Thanks
JensM
Toe-in "close to zero" IS the BMW spec. It just so happens to be the MOST optimum spec for the X5 suspension geometry.
      08-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Toe-in "close to zero" IS the BMW spec. It just so happens to be the MOST optimum spec for the X5 suspension geometry.
I guess I am a bit confused then.
Does this mean that wear on the outside is actually a sign of being OUTSIDE specs?

Thx
JensM
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quite possibly, yes. Abnormal tire wear is usually a sign of an alignment issue or a suspension wear issue. e.g. worn joints, bushings, etc. On a newer car, we wouldn't expect this, thus an alignment is the first thing to check.

The Toe should be as close to 0.00 as possible. If it's 0.05 and lower, that's usually good, and what I would expect from any competent alignment shop. Though I usually ask for 0.02 or lower.
      08-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Quite possibly, yes. Abnormal tire wear is usually a sign of an alignment issue or a suspension wear issue. e.g. worn joints, bushings, etc. On a newer car, we wouldn't expect this, thus an alignment is the first thing to check.

The Toe should be as close to 0.00 as possible. If it's 0.05 and lower, that's usually good, and what I would expect from any competent alignment shop. Though I usually ask for 0.02 or lower.
Thanks Mitch
Mine have only gone 41000km, so normally you should not see wear so early - I assume. Just find it a bit strange that the wear is identical both right and left side of car, if a worn joint I would think the chance /risk for happening in both side at the same time should be minimal. Guess I have to get the toe and alignment checked
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Make sure to ask for the print out that shows BEFORE and AFTER specs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #13
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Its not the toe.
Its the camber.
There is not enough built in negative camber on the front of the e70x5 ....at least not on my x5d.
My front toe is 0.00 and my front outside wears faster then the rest of the tire.
Currently my front outside tires are bald, while the center measures at 5/32nds ....twice in a row now.
Tech @ BMW says he sees this all the time.
The fronts wear on the outsides and the rears wear on the inside (at least on the 20" 275/315 setup)
BMW has the same alignment spec for the 255/18 square setup and the 275/315 20" setup which is part of the problem. The 20" wheels with that super wide staggered width requires a different alignment.

I am going to lower the car on Eibach springs which I drove on my friends e70x5d and the ride was softer and the handling seemed a tad more solid.
Then i am going on the recommendation to go more positive, but within spec on the rear camber to help with inside rear tire wear.
And hopefully, lowering the car will add the negative camber up front to even out the tire wear. Since BMW decided that no camber adjustment is necessary on the front of these newer cars = ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:37 AM   #14
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Its not the toe.
Its the camber.
There is not enough built in negative camber on the front of the e70x5 ....at least not on my x5d.
My front toe is 0.00 and my front outside wears faster then the rest of the tire.
Currently my front outside tires are bald, while the center measures at 5/32nds ....twice in a row now.
Tech @ BMW says he sees this all the time.
The fronts wear on the outsides and the rears wear on the inside (at least on the 20" 275/315 setup)
BMW has the same alignment spec for the 255/18 square setup and the 275/315 20" setup which is part of the problem. The 20" wheels with that super wide staggered width requires a different alignment.

I am going to lower the car on Eibach springs which I drove on my friends e70x5d and the ride was softer and the handling seemed a tad more solid.
Then i am going on the recommendation to go more positive, but within spec on the rear camber to help with inside rear tire wear.
And hopefully, lowering the car will add the negative camber up front to even out the tire wear. Since BMW decided that no camber adjustment is necessary on the front of these newer cars = ridiculous.
Thanks Mastek.
I have googled a bit and found something backing you up - more likely a camber issue than a toe issue.

http://blog.bavauto.com/2589/proper-...gative-camber/

As mine (and others) is wearing out on the outside, I read it as the camber must be POSITIVE - as NEGATIVE according to article cause wear on the INSIDE. Acc to article, a relative high negative camber is apparently something BMW go for in order to get better control at high speeds.

And this is now I get even more confused. As a relative high negative camber gives wear on the inside, I would assume mine have a relative high positive camber, since I start to get the wear on the outside. As most of the pictures I have seen, all have the issue with wear on the outside, and therefor must assume running with positive camber - the opposite of what BMW go for.

Since mine is just starting to wear out on the outside, and identical on both right and left tire, I do not believe something is "suddenly" out of spec (would assume if suddenly out of spec, it will not be identical on both sides). And this is why I am speculating wether too much air pressure could cause this?

And another point, you mention BMW runs with same camber in 255/18 square setup and the 275/315 20" setup. I can follow this can cause some issues, as well as problem might be bigger on the wider tires like 275 - I am actually running 255/19.
Just checked my Nokian winter tires. They have done app 15000 km and measured with a caliper the wear is 100% identical over the complete surface, and they are actually a bit softer in the rubber, so would assume they would wear out even faster. But they have been running with lower air pressure

Last edited by JensM; 08-13-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #15
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Very interesting - just happen to find this:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-wear-t128920/

My wife also ohas an E70 X5 with 21" wheels and we were getting excessive wear and went through a set of four in the 1st 12 months. Because of the cost of the tyres I thought I'd look into the problem of excessive where and contact BMW directly as I have contacs in the Automotive industry working there myself.

I spoke with development engineers and designers and it turns out that to prevent excessive wear on all Msport cars the tyres should be ran at there maximum pressures, that means 5 adults and luggage setting as detailed on either you fuel filler flap or drivers door b-pillar.

This is a know issue within BMW and this is what they recommend because of the excessive camber angles and other geometry settings. It is by no means a total solution but coupled with regular checks which should be at least fortnightly (tyre pressures) if not weekly it does extend the life of the large diameter tyres.

Its a shame BMW don't make this public knowledge and it proves its definitely a case of who you know not what you know.

So, it seems like air pressure have something to do as well. Despite I increased my air pressure before the long trip, I did not increase it to the max of the tire.
Maybe this is something to try - I actually also find the car (any car) is driving better with high air pressure

Last edited by JensM; 08-16-2014 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #16
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Ok, so I had Eibach Springs installed on my US Spec e70x5d
And the alignment camber is:
- 0.9 Front
- 1.2 Rear

Hopefully, the added positive camber up front will stop the premature tire wear on the outside of the fronts.

Happen to have a friend who put 20k miles on his Bridgestone RFT 275/315 combo after he had the Eibach springs as well. So I am confident this solves the front outside wear issue BMW forgot to address by not allowing ANY camber adjustment up front.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #17
mitch808
Captain
Rep

BMW sells fixed suspension arms that allow -0.5, 0.0, and +0.5 degrees of camber. Meant more for issues with an accident, but it's a good option too in not having to buy $1000-$2500 tires more often than needed. I think they are around $350 for the set, and labor to install.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #18
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW sells fixed suspension arms that allow -0.5, 0.0, and +0.5 degrees of camber. Meant more for issues with an accident, but it's a good option too in not having to buy $1000-$2500 tires more often than needed. I think they are around $350 for the set, and labor to install.
I knew they sell those arms... but I was told they were more like -0.1 and -0.2 or even +0.1, +0.2

Does anyone have the official specs for those?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I knew they sell those arms... but I was told they were more like -0.1 and -0.2 or even +0.1, +0.2

Does anyone have the official specs for those?
They are listed in three flavors as I mentioned. BMW lists them as -30min, and +30min. And of course the normal/stock one. No different than a crash bolt in the repair industry. They just charge a heck of a lot more it

it's listed as 30min as in 30 min of a deg. Which equals .4989 degrees after conversion from minutes/seconds to degrees.

So -0.5, 0.0 and +0.5 as I mentioned using the conversion from minutes to degrees.
      09-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #20
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are listed in three flavors as I mentioned. BMW lists them as -30min, and +30min. And of course the normal/stock one. No different than a crash bolt in the repair industry. They just charge a heck of a lot more it

it's listed as 30min as in 30 min of a deg. Which equals .4989 degrees after conversion from minutes/seconds to degrees.

So -0.5, 0.0 and +0.5 as I mentioned using the conversion from minutes to degrees.
Ok great. Thank You for doing that math.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 08:53 PM   #21
JokerElite
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E70

Quote:
Very interesting - just happen to find this:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-wear-t128920/

I spoke with development engineers and designers and it turns out that to prevent excessive wear on all Msport cars the tyres should be ran at there maximum pressures, that means 5 adults and luggage setting as detailed on either you fuel filler flap or drivers door b-pillar.

This is a know issue within BMW and this is what they recommend because of the excessive camber angles and other geometry settings. It is by no means a total solution but coupled with regular checks which should be at least fortnightly (tyre pressures) if not weekly it does extend the life of the large diameter tyres.
What’s the consensus on the cause of the outer edge wear? Incorrect recommended tire pressure? Toe? Camber?

The tire pressure could be an easy fix. Toe I’m not sure about. Camber seems like it could be corrected by Meyle upper control arms with camber adjustment.

Noticed the same wear on mine and wondering how to prevent this.
      08-19-2023, 04:31 AM   #22
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Just replaced my second set of summers use (All seasons) yesterday on my 2013 X6M…each time had the alignment dealer checked before replacing… which was a waste as - each time nothing was adjusted that may have been the cause of the outside wear.. Only have 76,000 miles….. I run winter 19” for 5 months of the year…I’m also on my second set (brand new) but the first set wore even…. No outside wear.

Yesterday I replaced with Nexen N’fera Supreme, two installed for 500 Cdn/368 USD. It was a toss up between those and Nexen Roadian GTX…

OEM Continental Conti -SSRs came off… Pirelli Cinturato P7 on the rear.

https://nexentirecanada.com/tire-lin...nfera-supreme/

At those prices… I no longer care… They meet all the specs and then some.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 08-19-2023 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0