XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Jtravapd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 sport edition

Anyone know of a way to remove rear roundel?

I ordered all new roundels for my x5. I replaced the front one, all four wheel ones with black and white ones. I also purchased the suction cup tool which is supposed to make installation simple.

I spent two hours trying to get it to work to remove the rear roundel and it doesn't work for crap. Two of my neighbors also tried and they couldn't get it to work. The suction cup barely has enough suction to even stay on the roundel without falling off , never mind to remove it.

I tried a flat head screw driver covered with cloth and still no luck.

Does anyone know how to remove the rear roundel? I have to def take it off now, because its all scratched up from loosing patience trying to remove it.
I called jlives.com and they basically told me the suction cup works fine, i must be doing something wrong. I watched their youtube video, and its not even close to how easy it came off for them in the video.

Any help would be appreciated. Luckily i was able to replace the front grill with the all black one and replace the two side bumper reflectors with alpine white ones very easily. This one roundel is driving me nuts. The website is awesome for prices, the only downside is there is no instructions or anything that comes with any of the items i have ordered so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
cr55
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d M Sport

Remove the wheel from the car and from the rear of the wheel knock it out with a screwdriver,, simple and will only take 5 mins,,,,,
      04-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Jtravapd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr55 View Post
Remove the wheel from the car and from the rear of the wheel knock it out with a screwdriver,, simple and will only take 5 mins,,,,,
My x5 doesn't have a rear wheel. The rear roundel is one whole piece . I think it is attached to the housing and te housing
Is what comes off.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
finagle69
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 4.8i

I haven't tried removing it yet, but from what I've read, it's on there pretty good with double-sided tape. It may help to get either a heat gun or blow dryer at it for a bit to soften up the glue. Then your suction cup might work.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
icenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

I have removed mine. It is on there really good with double sided tape, along with the 2 pins similar to all other roundels. I removed all my interior trunk pieces thinking it needed to be removed from behind to find that it was just on with a lot of stong tape. I am speaking of the entire chrome base that needs to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
finagle69
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 4.8i

after you remove the whole chrome base, can the base and the roundel be separated?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Jsantos377
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M Package

rear roundel

the rear roundel is one entire piece surrounded in sticky tape extremely tough to take off! i had the same problem as you i tried everything. i bought the roundel emblem stickers off of bimmian, you cant even tell that they are a sticker came out great! i wish i would of done it from the start!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Jtravapd
Private
Rep

I wish I would have posted here first. The best option for all who wants to change the rear x5 roundel is just buy the colored sticker overlays. I had to order a new rear BMW roundel and chrome housing . Wish the website I ordered it from would have had directions . It could have saved me a lot of time
And money.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
icenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

yes the roundel can be separated, however if I recall correctly I ended up destroying the factory one because it was on adhered so tight to the base. No biggie if you are replacing them anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finagle69 View Post
after you remove the whole chrome base, can the base and the roundel be separated?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

So how do you remove the chrome base for the roundel on the lid to the X6?

Anyone done this? Is it easy?

Thanks!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Xtram
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 2007 3.0si

You can follow these instructions I've posted here:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-replaced.html

Last edited by Xtram; 05-16-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtram View Post
You can follow these instructions I've posted here:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-replaced.html
Thanks, but this is only to remove the roundel. I am talking about the large chrome housing that is connected to the lid. The roundel then sits inside this chrome housing. I need to know how to remove the large chrome housing that is attached to the lid itself.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Xtram
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 2007 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Thanks, but this is only to remove the roundel. I am talking about the large chrome housing that is connected to the lid. The roundel then sits inside this chrome housing. I need to know how to remove the large chrome housing that is attached to the lid itself.

The instruction shows how to remove the entire emblem not just the roundel. If you can see the pictures and the description the trunk lift gate is bare.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtram View Post
The instruction shows how to remove the entire emblem not just the roundel. If you can see the pictures and the description the trunk lift gate is bare.
Got it and thanks! Could not view pics from within work's firewall. Checked on phone and saw the pics. Thanks! I'm going to pick up a new one and paint black to match my other badges.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Singh97
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jattizm

Garage List
2004 BMW e46 M3  [10.00]
Sorry to bump this old thread but were you able to remove the logo from the chrome base? I am trying to paint the chrome base gloss black to match my black n white theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Got it and thanks! Could not view pics from within work's firewall. Checked on phone and saw the pics. Thanks! I'm going to pick up a new one and paint black to match my other badges.

11-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Guys,

You have to use a heat gun and remove the roundel which is basically a sticker on the chrome base.

Once I found this out I just ordered a new part from BMW. 29 dollars US. I then had my body shop paint the chrome base, which is stuck to the car with two grommets and adhesive tape.

I painted mine space grey as that is a color scheme I have going on with my X5M. Had the rear diffuser painted space grey and the side molding along the doors (that long strip) painted space grey since the car is metallic black to add some contrast.

My body shop then took the aftermarket emblem. Shaved the grommet sections in the back down and sanded it so it would adhere well to the newly painted base.

Getting that emblem off the chrome housing is a challenge and takes time and a good heat gun.

Personally, go the route I did. I'm sure if you called IND up they could do it as well if you don't have a good body shop you trust.

Now I have my carbon fiber roundels on the ca and the rear looks like it is OEM! Very happy with the results, but man was it a pain.

Makes me realize how easy it is modding my E90 M3!!
Appreciate 0