XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Subwoofer for X5 E70 with 3rd row seating?

Hey guys,

I'm planning to upgrade my base/Stereo Audio system and add a Subwoofer too.
The problem is I have the 3rd row seating so I cannot use the JL Audio Stealthbox.

Did anybody built something custom? I'm wondering if the space next to the battery can be used. (see the picture)
Attached Images

Last edited by fbuzila; 10-28-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
brian5
Shoot for the moon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

That's a really small space (I have the 3rd row seats).

You could take out the whole black plastic bin/liner there and have a lot more space work with. You'll just have the battery on the left.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5 View Post
That's a really small space (I have the 3rd row seats).

You could take out the whole black plastic bin/liner there and have a lot more space work with. You'll just have the battery on the left.
Yes, this is the plan. Wondering if anybody did something similar and what sub size I can try...a 10"
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
brian5
Shoot for the moon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

I don't remember ever seeing any pictures of anyone having done that installation.

If it was me, and I wanted a subwoofer there, I would remove one or both of the 3rd row seats...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5 View Post
I don't remember ever seeing any pictures of anyone having done that installation.

If it was me, and I wanted a subwoofer there, I would remove one or both of the 3rd row seats...
Tell this to my wife
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
I'm a little curious about options for the X5s with the third row too. I was looking at the JL Audio Stealthmod (not the stealthbox), but I think even that is not intended for models with the 3rd row.

To give me the maxium amount of space in the back for hauling with my son in the 3rd row, I'm not so much interested in putting a sub back there as I am about upgrading the under seat woofers. However, I wasn't thrilled with the SWS Earthquake subs when I put them in my 135i. A little too much midbass and not enough midrange.

Anyone know where details on the stereo systems in the E70 can be found? I know I have 10 speakers with a 205 watt digital amp, but I'm curious how it's configured. Are the frequency responses flat on all outputs? Are there discreet channels from the amp feeding the tweeters and mid range speakers on the front doors? Etc
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
I'm a little curious about options for the X5s with the third row too. I was looking at the JL Audio Stealthmod (not the stealthbox), but I think even that is not intended for models with the 3rd row.

To give me the maxium amount of space in the back for hauling with my son in the 3rd row, I'm not so much interested in putting a sub back there as I am about upgrading the under seat woofers. However, I wasn't thrilled with the SWS Earthquake subs when I put them in my 135i. A little too much midbass and not enough midrange.

Anyone know where details on the stereo systems in the E70 can be found? I know I have 10 speakers with a 205 watt digital amp, but I'm curious how it's configured. Are the frequency responses flat on all outputs? Are there discreet channels from the amp feeding the tweeters and mid range speakers on the front doors? Etc
I recommend to contact http://www.musicarnw.com/ They will recomend something like this:

Level1:

Maestro EFS4008 in front doors
Gladen of Germany AX08 woofers OR Earthquake SWS-8
Arc Audio KS125.4 Amp
JL Audio CL441dsp processor (you need this only for Stereo/base sound I have)
Musicar harness

Level 2 has better speakers:
Morel Hybrid Ovation II components
Jehnert XE 200 woofer

If you don't like the SWS-8 you can go with Gladen AX08 or Jehnert XE 200
Appreciate 0