XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, MSM, Clubman S

New to X5 / Want to Mod my X5 D

Hey all.

I thought I'd post and see what people think/know. Before anything, I did a search on some of these, but found nothing specific I'm looking for that popped up. Thanks in advance!!!

I just picked up my 2012 X5 D about 3 weeks ago. AW white, almost fully loaded, 20s, etc. I traded my 2008 M3 in for this and love this just as much, if not more because of the versatility.

I'm trying to make it more unique besides the normal lowering, rims, and reprogramming. Here goes:

Has anyone installed front and rear X5M bumpers? Does anyone know of any other lips to buy besides the BMW LCI add ons?

Anyone color painted their fenders and door trim the same as the body? I talked to a body shop and they were talking about how the pieces were textured, so if you paint them, they might crack eventually.

Anyone done or know anything for exhausts for the diesel? i really want to make the sound more aggressive and get more hp/tq out of this beast.

Thanks!
      10-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonnnn
Hey all.

I thought I'd post and see what people think/know. Before anything, I did a search on some of these, but found nothing specific I'm looking for that popped up. Thanks in advance!!!

I just picked up my 2012 X5 D about 3 weeks ago. AW white, almost fully loaded, 20s, etc. I traded my 2008 M3 in for this and love this just as much, if not more because of the versatility.

I'm trying to make it more unique besides the normal lowering, rims, and reprogramming. Here goes:

Has anyone installed front and rear X5M bumpers? Does anyone know of any other lips to buy besides the BMW LCI add ons?

Anyone color painted their fenders and door trim the same as the body? I talked to a body shop and they were talking about how the pieces were textured, so if you paint them, they might crack eventually.

Anyone done or know anything for exhausts for the diesel? i really want to make the sound more aggressive and get more hp/tq out of this beast.

Thanks!
I'll try to answer on the power part. The D exhales into the DPF first then through the SCR (selective catalyst reduction) and injected with DEF right there. Even changing the very end of the exhaust system - the muffler, won't change a note. You'll need to remap your ECM for a complete removal of the DPF system with a 2 EGRs "delete" to be able to completely swap the exhaust system. I'd say forget it.

You could do a remap like myself, or install one of the piggybacks available to us, as well as swap the air filter if you will.

Also Wagner Tuning Germany is coming out with a FMIC for a 335d right now. According to my conversation with Carston Wagner the X5/X6 diesel are the next on the list for the FMIC production, fingers crossed.

I run a K&N filter and a Mega-Speed remap, now waiting on that FMIC.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep

NRG,

Thanks for the good information. I'm a car guy, but I'm not too good on how the BMW exhaust system works yet. Can you explain it to me or point me in the right direction to learn about it? (DPF, DEF, layout, etc) So you think even if we changed the mufflers, it wouldn't produce any more power?

For the K&N filter, what are your impressions of it? Sound, power?

A FMIC would be awesome! Just need to modify the front bumper then. Did wagner say how long it would take them?
      10-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep
Drives: 12 AW E70 X5d

I know NRG doesn't like the JBDiesel, but it could be a initial performance mod if you need some more power.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
NRG,

Thanks for the good information. I'm a car guy, but I'm not too good on how the BMW exhaust system works yet. Can you explain it to me or point me in the right direction to learn about it? (DPF, DEF, layout, etc) So you think even if we changed the mufflers, it wouldn't produce any more power?

For the K&N filter, what are your impressions of it? Sound, power?

A FMIC would be awesome! Just need to modify the front bumper then. Did wagner say how long it would take them?
In this PDF, everything about BMW diesel motor explained in detail. Also the difference between the E90 and E70 diesel setups.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=497359

Regarding the K&N filter, it's really hard to feel anything on the car of that size and weigh, specifically a diesel one as well. Unlike gas, diesel is not an air flow dependent motor. I still swapped it, I find the original to be very restrictive, it is double layered and as thick as the brick. My truck is remapped and boost pressure has been increased over stock, hence I decided to help a little with K&N.

The Wagner IC is a plug and play no mods needed for the bumper. I'm still waiting to hear the results of his fitment test on X5/6 diesels.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiedds
I know NRG doesn't like the JBDiesel, but it could be a initial performance mod if you need some more power.
Nothing against JBD. I run it for year at max settings before remaping my D. I just feel there are finer tuning options out there available for us.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep

NRG, thanks for the PDF. I'll read up on that and get better on the diesel.

It just really sucks that there are barely any parts made for the X5, but what do you expect for buying a truck?

I'm actually going to stop by my old performance shop I used to work at to talk to my friend/owner to make an exhaust system and possibly a FMIC. I doubt I want to wait for other people to get it done, which will take a while. I'll keep updated on this.

For just the plug and play systems like JBT, do you think that one is the best out of the group? I can't afford to ship out my ECU to get remapped now. It's my daily driver.
      10-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
NRG, thanks for the PDF. I'll read up on that and get better on the diesel.

It just really sucks that there are barely any parts made for the X5, but what do you expect for buying a truck?

I'm actually going to stop by my old performance shop I used to work at to talk to my friend/owner to make an exhaust system and possibly a FMIC. I doubt I want to wait for other people to get it done, which will take a while. I'll keep updated on this.

For just the plug and play systems like JBT, do you think that one is the best out of the group? I can't afford to ship out my ECU to get remapped now. It's my daily driver.
No it's buying a diesel in NA with all the emission regulations. The 35d in EU is equipped with much simpler exhaust system in both the 3 and the X! Allowing you to modify it in simpler ways. There are quite a few exhausts available for EU diesel models as well as for 35i (the gas version).

The JBD is a very solid tune, buy it without hesitation! Bottom line is, the delta HP/TQ at highest settings are on par with diesel remaps that's out there. The only difference is, the way that power is delivered between the two. I've known Terry from BMS from 2007 and used most of his tunes, he's a cool dude with awesome customer service and he's local to you in CA around Woodland Hills area.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
My X5 M50d diesel exhaust has dual pipes into the rear muffler the same as the V8 has. I believe your diesel only has one pipe.

I have a reasonable exhaust note and a slight rumble in the cabin from the larger diameter exhaust. And the tune also has a lot to do with the exhaust note also, we also don't have all that addon emissions hardware either.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep

It sucks that USA is probably the most restrictive. And, they still do do checks on your car, not full smog checks, though.

For now, I might go with the JBT, unless anyone knows of a reprogram/tune that allows me to delete the smog hardware and be able to put back to stock quick for warranty/maintenance issues.

I went and talked to my old friend/owner of the shop and he is down for me building stuff for the X5d. He was shocked that there isn't a big market for it. At least we will increase the size of the exhaust pipes. Maybe no mufflers. We'll see. I need to measure the clearance up front for a FMIC and add one, weld brackets, and weld piping. I should hopefully have it done in around a month when I head back to the bay area.

Does anyone know of a company that does a full cold air intake? Instead of just a K&N drop in?
      10-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

There is no need of CAI for our engine. Even the stock filter is plenty. With all the diesel tunes out there the boost pressure increase is very conservative, some even don't increase it at all. If you really looking to increase the performance of your motor, install a tune and an IC or meth from BMS when released in the future. Exhaust or CAI on NA diesel is not worth your lost warranty since there is really no exhaust to begin with, it ends right after turbo. Even there most of the gases has been already recycled by the 2 EGR valves. Everything past turbo is a very complex regenerating system that produces a steam of H2O, that's why there is no black residue on your tailpipes.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Trauma
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M

I have the JB, and love it. I carry the code-clear pigtail, and always clear before I go to the dealer (still in warranty). I've gotten to where I can clear them while driving down the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Trauma
Rep

Wagner FMIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
I have the JB, and love it. I carry the code-clear pigtail, and always clear before I go to the dealer (still in warranty). I've gotten to where I can clear them while driving down the road.
BTW, I contacted Wagner tuning for their FMIC, if it would fit our X5 35D. This is their response:

Subject: X5 35D FMIC

Hello Frank,
so far, we did not have thme Time to check a car out. This will be after Sema, so arround Week 45/46.
I can not say, if a Intercooler of a 335 will fit or not, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Mitch P.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17x5M

There is also the Evolve option for a flash tune. I have not seen any feedback stateside for the x5d, but the option is out there.
Mitchell Phillipi, CCA#189329
'01540ias, '17x5M
past:'96Dinan3, '11M3 ZCP, '11X5d, '15X5 5.0, '07AMdB9
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep

So, I looked under the back end to see the exhaust, and it's a single pipe to a muffler with 2 exits. At least from the muffler, it's 2 in diameter. I need to measure further forward to see if it's 2 in diameter all the way to the cats.

For the JBD or any of the tunes, will the dealership be able to detect it at all? Like, they cannot detect that we threw codes or reset anything?

Does anyone know if our IC is in the front grill or on the left side? If it's in the front, what's the cooler on the left side? I asked in another thread if anyone has a tech manual before I start modding.
      10-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

You just don't get the D exhaust part, do you? Still think you looking at the ordinary muffler... I suggest you study that PDF, the way the SCR/DEF system works before you start changing things around. You may change your mind after all.

On the tune part, you can remove any of the piggybacks prior to dealer visits and erase any of popped up codes with BMS CANtool or BT cable.

The small rad in the driver wheel well is an auxiliary water radiator. The IC I believe is the second behind or below the tranny cooler, if I remember correctly.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep

Call me stubborn, but since I used to build engines and race cars, anything is possible. Maybe I should have kept my e92 M3, but I wanted an SUV anyways.

I read the PDF you supplied me and it gives a good explanation of everything. I'm only replacing the piping and muffler after the SCR catalyst, so it should be fine. The muffler isn't explained much at all, but in parenthesizes, it says silencer. Yes, usually a muffler does reduce some exhaust gases, but since our D has so much technology before the muffler, removing it, or changing it to a high flow will be fine. If anything, I'm just looking for a little more noise, and if not, bigger piping for a little more hp/tq.

I ordered the JBD, so we'll see how that goes when I get it.

NRG, you are correct. The radiator on the left hand side is an aux radiator. BMW should have just added a bigger muffler instead of 2 in the first place.

The IC is the one you see when you look directly into the main grill at the bottom. Seems like there is still more room in there, so a taller and/or longer one should go into that area.
      10-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Vastyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Grigio Telesto 3 pedal

Anyone seen this yet?
http://www.chipexpress.com/conditions/
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
Trauma
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonnnn View Post
Call me stubborn, but since I used to build engines and race cars, anything is possible. Maybe I should have kept my e92 M3, but I wanted an SUV anyways.

I read the PDF you supplied me and it gives a good explanation of everything. I'm only replacing the piping and muffler after the SCR catalyst, so it should be fine. The muffler isn't explained much at all, but in parenthesizes, it says silencer. Yes, usually a muffler does reduce some exhaust gases, but since our D has so much technology before the muffler, removing it, or changing it to a high flow will be fine. If anything, I'm just looking for a little more noise, and if not, bigger piping for a little more hp/tq.

I ordered the JBD, so we'll see how that goes when I get it.

NRG, you are correct. The radiator on the left hand side is an aux radiator. BMW should have just added a bigger muffler instead of 2 in the first place.

The IC is the one you see when you look directly into the main grill at the bottom. Seems like there is still more room in there, so a taller and/or longer one should go into that area.
I have the JBD, and am still in warranty. It has been in the multiple times after removing it and performing the reset, and never detected. I just kkep it in the glove compartment, just in case.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #20
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastyle
Same as JBD, a single fuel rail pressure sensor controller, in a prettier wrap. Save the money and get the JBD!

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #21
krmartin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

Anyone have recommendations where to buy smoked tailights or sidemarkers?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep

My JBD controller came in!!! Sweet!!! Now, I wonder if I should dyno before and after??

I wish they would have upgraded to USB....