XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Question on refueling:

Is all diesel made the same? Is there such a thing as better diesel (hypothetical example Exxon better than Mobil?).

Is there diesel that should be avoided.

I had gone to visit some friends and had my other car and came across 3.49 diesel. The cheapest I have seen was 3.79 so I am wondering why is this 3.49 diesel so cheap, what is it lacking, is it diesel for heavy duty trucks?

Excuse the lack of knowledge on the subject, should have done more research before buying, lol
Attached Images

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
finnbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 & 2012 X5 xDrive 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Question on refueling:

Is all diesel made the same? Is there such a thing as better diesel (hypothetical example Exxon better than Mobil?).
There are many opinions on this as some say they are all the same and others (like me) notice that our diesel sounds and performs better with certain brands.

Two qualities are important in diesel fuel: diesel cetane number and diesel lubricity. Google those two terms and you'll find plenty to read. In US, diesel fuel has to meet certain cetane (minimum 40) and lubricity numbers. Some brands add their own additives to improve those numbers from the base diesel quality. That's why they probably cost more.

I've been using 95+% Chevron in my two diesels as they seem to run best with it compared to BP and Shell. I've tried Hess with success but we don't have them where I live so I don't typically fill up there.

The VW diesel community is very active and this forum has a vast knowledgebase when it comes to diesel fuels http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Here's a thread I started over at Bimmerfest in the diesel sub-forum http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=563200
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #25
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Question on refueling:

There are many opinions on this as some say they are all the same and others (like me) notice that our diesel sounds and performs better with certain brands.

Two qualities are important in diesel fuel: diesel cetane number and diesel lubricity. Google those two terms and you'll find plenty to read. In US, diesel fuel has to meet certain cetane (minimum 40) and lubricity numbers. Some brands add their own additives to improve those numbers from the base diesel quality. That's why they probably cost more.

I've been using 95+% Chevron in my two diesels as they seem to run best with it compared to BP and Shell. I've tried Hess with success but we don't have them where I live so I don't typically fill up there.

The VW diesel community is very active and this forum has a vast knowledgebase when it comes to diesel fuels http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Here's a thread I started over at Bimmerfest in the diesel sub-forum http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=563200
Thanks for the links, I will be reading up on them today. I was in the car with my family and mother in law. I told my MIL that diesel is the way forward and my wife was laughing at me, lol. She was saying you have only driven a diesel truck for 5 minutes and now you are preaching about diesels, lol.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I once stumbled upon Safeway diesel at $2.50/gal. I was like "nice!" - other diesel prices in the area at that time were $3.80.
My gut feeling was telling me something's not right. Looked for the label and here it was - B20. 20% bio, 80% normal diesel.
No thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #27
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

glad i came across this thread - beautiful car, OP. i have a 335i and a tundra crewmax with the 5.7 V8 right now. we are shopping to replace the unnecessarily large Tundra with an X5. I have been going back and forth the the 35i, 35d and even the 50i. your insight having owned both has been helpful.. to a degree… it seems like most of the things i was already assuming are true. in summary i have also found the following to be true:

35i: pros: better sound, better acceleration at highway speeds, easier to locate fuel
cons: less range, less torque for towing (e.g. car to track days)

35d: pros: better range, plenty acceleration at lower speeds, great for towing
cons: can be difficult to locate fuel, less exciting exhaust note

so with all of this being said …. are you happy with your choice now that you've had it a little longer? any new observations for comparison?

we plan on waiting for a couple months until our second baby arrives before pulling the trigger, so my decision may be based somewhat on availability (which helps force my hand) but i am curious if it will be worth driving a considerable distance to pick up one of the other if need be. i think the hardest part is you really can't go wrong with any of the X5 motors.

thanks!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #28
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
glad i came across this thread - beautiful car, OP.
Thanks.

Quote:

35i: pros: better sound, better acceleration at highway speeds, easier to locate fuel

so with all of this being said …. are you happy with your choice now that you've had it a little longer? any new observations for comparison?
I agree 100% with the pros/cons you have above. I can only expand. The 35d feels fast on rolling starts but the speed has to be say 50mph. If its a rolling start from say 70mph, the truck feels slower. The 35i on the other hand accelerated with more authority at those speeds. Bear in mind the 1/4 mile trap speed for the 35i is 94mph, close to the E9X 328i/Nissan Altima V6 etc. So it does have plenty of grunt at highway speeds. The 35d's trap speed is 90mph so you can feel the difference between the two at highway speeds.

The tq helps at lower speeds and that makes the 35d pleasant to drive and surprise some nuts who think they can have their way

My 35d has the self levelling rear suspension, which I believe came stnd with the 13 35ds and may have to be an option on the 35i. This helps for towing I believe

Range. I am averaging 23mpg whereas with the 35i I averaged 17-18mpg under similar conditions. I did a trip to Atlantic City (125 miles each way) and I started the trip with 2 ticks above a 1/4 tank. That tank was enough for the whole trip and the OBC still had 25 miles to go when we got home. This would not be possible with the 35i

Refinement: This is where the 35i OUTSHINES the 35d. The idling noise and certain weird sound it makes at times when accelerating from 20mph is something I can do without. My wife says it seems like its overworking in local driving conditions.

I have plenty of diesel stations in my area so no issues locating diesel. I will have to be careful when going on long trips.

All considered do I wish I got a 35i over the 35d, no, not really. This is where it becomes personal. I do like the extended range and instant tq at low speeds in the 35d and for a truck I mainly use for hauling the family around its plenty adequate. If you value refinement then look at the 35i, other than the issues I brought up earlier I do like the sounds it makes which give me a sense of driving a truck. The 35i just does the sound effects much better. My 35d has better equipment, premium sound, comfort seats, comfort access, high beam assistant, LED DRLs, connected drive that I did not have in the 35i so it makes up for some of the short fallings. So I am happy with the new diesel experience. I drove an F15 35d and I might go with that when the lease comes up.

Last edited by 300hp; 05-18-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
hd2000fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

I'll even add to this further, it depends on the vehicle, and no I am not even going to say same engine, same year etc. I have found that finding that right mix of what a vehicle likes to be a long testing process. I have had 2 of the same exact vehicle and they each liked something different, go figure.
Of my current vehicles, My X5 likes BP best, Escapse is the same, Mustang likes Sunoco, no difference in MPG or performance with regular or hightest. My 83 Shovel likes 91 or better any place all get the same MPG, and my 08 ultra like Shell and gets 3 MPG better than any other gas.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

I have a 31mi commute each way and needed to tow my race car to the track. The only options based on my mileage and towing needs were the VW Taoureg V6 TDI and the X5d. I have the D and couldn't be happier. Mine gets 23.2 mpg avg and tows without any problems. I installed a Curt hitch on it myself with the OEM harness and had it programmed. I was out the door on that for under $400. It's a great car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #31
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Quote:
glad i came across this thread - beautiful car, OP.
Thanks.

Quote:

I agree 100% with the pros/cons you have above. I can only expand. The 35d feels fast on rolling starts but the speed has to be say 50mph. If its a rolling start from say 70mph, the truck feels slower. The 35i on the other hand accelerated with more authority at those speeds. Bear in mind the 1/4 mile trap speed for the 35i is 94mph, close to the E9X 328i/Nissan Altima V6 etc. So it does have plenty of grunt at highway speeds. The 35d's trap speed is 90mph so you can feel the difference between the two at highway speeds.

The tq helps at lower speeds and that makes the 35d pleasant to drive and surprise some nuts who think they can have their way

My 35d has the self levelling rear suspension, which I believe came stnd with the 13 35ds and may have to be an option on the 35i. This helps for towing I believe

Range. I am averaging 23mpg whereas with the 35i I averaged 17-18mpg under similar conditions. I did a trip to Atlantic City (125 miles each way) and I started the trip with 2 ticks above a 1/4 tank. That tank was enough for the whole trip and the OBC still had 25 miles to go when we got home. This would not be possible with the 35i

Refinement: This is where the 35i OUTSHINES the 35d. The idling noise and certain weird sound it makes at times when accelerating from 20mph is something I can do without. My wife says it seems like its overworking in local driving conditions.

I have plenty of diesel stations in my area so no issues locating diesel. I will have to be careful when going on long trips.

All considered do I wish I got a 35i over the 35d, no, not really. This is where it becomes personal. I do like the extended range and instant tq at low speeds in the 35d and for a truck I mainly use for hauling the family around its plenty adequate. If you value refinement then look at the 35i, other than the issues I brought up earlier I do like the sounds it makes which give me a sense of driving a truck. The 35i just does the sound effects much better. My 35d has better equipment, premium sound, comfort seats, comfort access, high beam assistant, LED DRLs, connected drive that I did not have in the 35i so it makes up for some of the short fallings. So I am happy with the new diesel experience. I drove an F15 35d and I might go with that when the lease comes up.
I remembered this post and I think I need to update it. My X5 had the CEL come on and off until the NOx sensors were replaced a week ago. One of the statements I made prior to the NOx sensor replacement was the X5D was not as refined as the X5 35i. I think I may have to qualify that a bit. At the time I made this comment clearly something was off with the car, hence the CEL. With that sorted, the D is not that far off from the 35i. I would not let refinement be a key decision maker in choosing either one since they are very close.

Some observations from the time I had this CEL issue:

Citgo and Shell gas ALWAYS resulted in my CEL light coming on. CITGO was the worst since for 60% of the tank the light was on. Shell maybe 20% of the tank.

BP was the one supplier that infrequently gave me this light. The NOx sensors were the issue and not the type of diesel but I found it interesting that CITGO and Shell set it off like that. I now use BP gas exclusively

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #32
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

cant wait to get my next SAV but will wait till the end of the year, wifey loves my 335d and WONT get another vehicle unless its a DIESEL!! Plan to trick it out via RENNtech and Wagner IC as i have on my 335d which is pumping 318 whp with 425 lb/tq on the wheels. Wish you luck with your SAV and enjoy these engines have been in the Euro market for 13 yrs now we're begining to have them. ALPINA has the XD3 running o-60 in 4.9 seconds, we are contemplating this also but we'll see if the X3 will come either in 4 cylinder Diesel or 6 cylinder Diesel we dont know as of yet, if its 4 cyl ADIOS ALPINA
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #33
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I would have not thought twice about buying a 35d, especially since my father has owned two 30d and one 40d. However, I wanted the M Sport. In Europe (and I assume other parts of the world), you can get an X5 diesel with the M Sport. That is not available in the US, which means it was a deal breaker for me. Pity.
Appreciate 0