XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

E70 X5 Motor mount question

As my X5 is approaching 70k miles, I've been contemplating on doing the motor mounts as more preventative maintenance since they are likely getting worn. As I searched the forums I haven't found any posts about people doing them. I am curious if anyone has attempted or has accomplished this tasks. From a quick glance in the engine bay it doesn't look terrible, but I could be wrong. My X5 is a late 2013 build which may make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistercamp View Post
Engine?
N55.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep

M57 over here. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
I would suggest doing them, it cant hurt. I've been meaning to do mine for last few months but haven't found time. I have a 35d and can definitely feel some vibration through the cabin due to engine mounts being worn. I did attempt to do them once a couple months ago but didn't have enough time or clearance. Some people have said its straightforward, and others have said its a PITA. I am with the latter from just inspecting it.

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not a fun job on the 35d, especially if you still have dpf. Def started and stopped a couple times before actually doing it. Tight spaces, guessing where the bolts are, having engineer up and down. Had to drop the subframe, kept it in place with the bolts turned in 1-2 turns. Again, don't know how much of this applies to N55.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #7
ecoBMW
Anxious!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E70 35i X5

Replaced Motor Mounts and Vibration Increased?

I'm not aware if the OP ended up replacing the motor mounts on their N55, I just replaced mine when replacing the oil pan gasket and found the rubber bottom of the right passenger side motor mount completely split with barely any fluid left inside. I figured this was most likely the cause of the vibration I was having when stopped at a red light with my foot on the brake and in Drive waiting for the light to change. However, the vibration problem actually became worse. Does anyone know what might be causing this vibration problem if the motor mounts were replaced and should be ruled out of the equation?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:05 PM   #8
ecoBMW
Anxious!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E70 35i X5

Update: problem solved, the vibration is gone. While replacing the oil pan gasket I also replaced the front right axle. The brand new GKN axle was the culprit. My indy diagnosed the problem and found the axle was defective. Luckily I still had the original BMW axle and it was swapped back in and all the vibration issues disappeared.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 01:38 PM   #9
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoBMW View Post
I'm not aware if the OP ended up replacing the motor mounts on their N55, I just replaced mine when replacing the oil pan gasket and found the rubber bottom of the right passenger side motor mount completely split with barely any fluid left inside. I figured this was most likely the cause of the vibration I was having when stopped at a red light with my foot on the brake and in Drive waiting for the light to change. However, the vibration problem actually became worse. Does anyone know what might be causing this vibration problem if the motor mounts were replaced and should be ruled out of the equation?
I did actually replace them shortly after posting. I have since gotten rid of the X5 for a newer one. As far as your vibration problem, I’d be curious as to how it’s running. Do you have a vacuum leak? The reason why I ask is that you indicated it’s while your foot is on the brake at a light that you experience the vibration. It maybe a stretch but maybe worth looking into. I’d also be curious as the the condition of the steering rack bushings.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 11:33 AM   #10
svho
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
I did actually replace them shortly after posting. I have since gotten rid of the X5 for a newer one. As far as your vibration problem, I’d be curious as to how it’s running. Do you have a vacuum leak? The reason why I ask is that you indicated it’s while your foot is on the brake at a light that you experience the vibration. It maybe a stretch but maybe worth looking into. I’d also be curious as the the condition of the steering rack bushings.
How hard was the job? I have a 2009 X5 with the NA 6cyc.

My car has 90k miles and when I drive over a bump, I can hear a clunk sound on the driver side below/near the wheel well. I could be axle, control arms, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 11:43 AM   #11
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svho View Post
How hard was the job? I have a 2009 X5 with the NA 6cyc.

My car has 90k miles and when I drive over a bump, I can hear a clunk sound on the driver side below/near the wheel well. I could be axle, control arms, etc.
I would check the front tension strut first. If you’ve never replaced them you’re likely overdue to change them out. If you X5 has X drive, then the passenger side mount is an absolute PIA. The passenger side will require the axle to be removed and the out put cover for the differential on that side to be removed to access the last bolt for the engine mount bracket. If you don’t have X drive then it’s likely much easier. However, at 90k miles and now control arm bushing replaced, then they are likely suspect to me or the struts.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 12:00 PM   #12
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
I would check the front tension strut first. If you’ve never replaced them you’re likely overdue to change them out. If you X5 has X drive, then the passenger side mount is an absolute PIA. The passenger side will require the axle to be removed and the out put cover for the differential on that side to be removed to access the last bolt for the engine mount bracket. If you don’t have X drive then it’s likely much easier. However, at 90k miles and now control arm bushing replaced, then they are likely suspect to me or the struts.
I am contemplating replacing the motor mounts in my 2013 I just purchased. Are there any special tools that I would need? Any tips or advice?

The 2013 X5 I purchased is in extremely good condition even with 116K miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:29 AM   #13
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I am contemplating replacing the motor mounts in my 2013 I just purchased. Are there any special tools that I would need? Any tips or advice?

The 2013 X5 I purchased is in extremely good condition even with 116K miles.
Is it X-Drive? If it is you’ll need to pull the passenger side axle. You’ll need the special tool to pull the axle in through the hub.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 08:03 AM   #14
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Is it X-Drive? If it is you’ll need to pull the passenger side axle. You’ll need the special tool to pull the axle in through the hub.
Do you have a part number for the tool or link for this?

I likely will hold off on this for a while but I like to gather as much information before hand as I can.

I just did a front and rear diff fluid change, trans fluid and pan/filter, and the transfer case fluid change.

I changed the transfer case/trans mount as well. Bought the mount just in case and glad I did. The original mount was completely sheered.

Everything else mechanically looks great. I am actually quite shocked at how good and nearly new looking everything is.
Appreciate 0