XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Dinan Stage 2

I have been contemplating the Dinan Stage 2 Performance flash for my 2012 X5 3.5. My main fear is the voiding of the factory warranty after the Dinan software is installed.
Dinan offers a matching BMW factory warranty but there seems to be a lot of finger pointing. In the end the consumer is left with either a voided BMW warranty or BMW is unwilling to pay a Dinan claim.

There are two authorized Dinan centers near me, Habberstad and Greenwich (service center is in Port Chester). I'm leaning towards Greenwich for the upgrade. Has anyone dealt with either franchise? I am interested to hear of your experiences with the installation as well as any followup issues. In addition have there been any issues with relability and or error codes?
Rallye is where I normally service my vehicles and I plan to continue using them after Dinan is installed.
If there are any software updates, I am aware that the Dinan software will be lost. I will need to return to the authorized Dinan center to be reflashed.

Finally for ALL those who have Dinan Stage 2 am I going to be wowed?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

I have Dinan Stage 2 on my '12 X5 50i. I live in NYC and had Circle BMW in NJ install the tune. I chose them because I felt that their would be less of an issue if there are any warranty claims. I am happy with their service and would recommend them. Call Brian Raiken. You can tell him that Brian Leonard recommended them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian425 View Post
I have Dinan Stage 2 on my '12 X5 50i. I live in NYC and had Circle BMW in NJ install the tune. I chose them because I felt that their would be less of an issue if there are any warranty claims. I am happy with their service and would recommend them. Call Brian Raiken. You can tell him that Brian Leonard recommended them.
How does your X5 run with the Dinan software? Is there a difference in off the line acceleration as well as the lower rpm band range?
How long has it been since the upgrade and have you had any issues?

Last edited by lknbimmers; 01-27-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

I am very happy with the flash. It gave a nice boos in low end power and pulls hard to redline. I would recommend it.

The only caution is that my tune is for the 4.4 TT. So the tune for the 3.5i may be a little different. I would expect the results would be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknbimmers View Post
I have been contemplating the Dinan Stage 2 Performance flash for my 2012 X5 3.5. My main fear is the voiding of the factory warranty after the Dinan software is installed.
Dinan offers a matching BMW factory warranty but there seems to be a lot of finger pointing. In the end the consumer is left with either a voided BMW warranty or BMW is unwilling to pay a Dinan claim.

There are two authorized Dinan centers near me, Habberstad and Greenwich (service center is in Port Chester). I'm leaning towards Greenwich for the upgrade. Has anyone dealt with either franchise? I am interested to hear of your experiences with the installation as well as any followup issues. In addition have there been any issues with relability and or error codes?
Rallye is where I normally service my vehicles and I plan to continue using them after Dinan is installed.
If there are any software updates, I am aware that the Dinan software will be lost. I will need to return to the authorized Dinan center to be reflashed.

Finally for ALL those who have Dinan Stage 2 am I going to be wowed?

I don't have the Dinan stage 2 in my X5, but I did have it in my 335 N54. The power is unbelievable over stock. Gas mileage increased just a tad on the highway as long as you drive it right. As far as the warranty and customer service of Dinan, I have first hand experience. I had the tune put in my car at 20K miles. At 42K I had spun rod bearing #6. Even though I had multiple injector failures and fuel pump failures and 2 coil pack failures ( all which could have possibly caused that cylinder to run hot in addition to the fact that cylinder 6 is the last cylinder to receive coolant) BMW blamed Dinan for the engine failure. The total cost for a new long block was around $13,000 parts and labor installed. Dinan quickly paid in full without any complaints. I would never hesitate on a Dinan product, they stand behind their product and back it with a great warranty.
      01-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I would never hesitate on a Dinan product, they stand behind their product and back it with a great warranty.
+1

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't have the Dinan stage 2 in my X5, but I did have it in my 335 N54. The power is unbelievable over stock. Gas mileage increased just a tad on the highway as long as you drive it right. As far as the warranty and customer service of Dinan, I have first hand experience. I had the tune put in my car at 20K miles. At 42K I had spun rod bearing #6. Even though I had multiple injector failures and fuel pump failures and 2 coil pack failures ( all which could have possibly caused that cylinder to run hot in addition to the fact that cylinder 6 is the last cylinder to receive coolant) BMW blamed Dinan for the engine failure. The total cost for a new long block was around $13,000 parts and labor installed. Dinan quickly paid in full without any complaints. I would never hesitate on a Dinan product, they stand behind their product and back it with a great warranty.
I have the BMW PPK on the 335. However there are no plans for BMW to introduce a tune for the X5.
Thanks for the information, its comforting to know that Dinan stands behind their product and warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The only caution is that my tune is for the 4.4 TT. So the tune for the 3.5i may be a little different. I would expect the results would be noticeable.
Improving the off-line torque is what I'm looking to accomplish with the tune.
Also has anyone noticed a "lag" in response off the line?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm experiencing a lot of lag in my X5. Dealt with the lag in my 335 as well. The Dinan stage 2 took care of any lag. With the transmission in regular mode it drove like it was in sport mode... On steroids. Neck snapping torque off the line. I'd be putting it in my X5 now if we lived closer to Dinan dealership. Dallas is 5 hours away and every time BMW updates their software you have to go have the Dinan reflashed to your DME. The BMW PPK is no comparison to the Dinan.
      02-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm experiencing a lot of lag in my X5. Dealt with the lag in my 335 as well. The Dinan stage 2 took care of any lag. With the transmission in regular mode it drove like it was in sport mode... On steroids. Neck snapping torque off the line. I'd be putting it in my X5 now if we lived closer to Dinan dealership. Dallas is 5 hours away and every time BMW updates their software you have to go have the Dinan reflashed to your DME. The BMW PPK is no comparison to the Dinan.
Awesome to have acknowledgement that the Dinan tune resolves the lag issue.
I'm not pleased that my servicing center isn't Dinan authorized. However after speaking to my service advisor they have no issues with service after Dinan is installed.
How many times has BMW had to upgrade the software on your 335? I can think of one occurance when the HPFP was replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

I had 4 or 5 on my 335 and have already had 1 on my X5
      03-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

There's a promotion on Dinan products for the month of March. It maybe my time to pull the trigger...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
TireGuy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 06 4.4,06 4.8is,X6 50i,e46,E90

Quote:

Hey Brian...what HP difference did the stage 2 gave you?...im curious about this kinda thing........and what did it cost you.....

is this like similar to this video on what you have...

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Strada1198
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0 MSport Dinan S3

Garage List
2011 X5 5.0  [0.00]
I have Stage 3 on my 11 X5 5.0 and it is amazing over stock except for one major current issue. The car goes into limp mode easily when driven in cold weather. It took quite a while for both the dealer and Dinan to figure it out but they finally discovered an error in the code and have re-written the software. I am in NC and apparently there is someone in TX with this same problem. Latest is that Dinan is waiting for a test vehicle so they can prove everything is ok before releasing. I bought the car with the tune and did have several other issues but have been happy with both BMW and Dinan response each time. There is a little finger pointing from BMW sometimes but depending on how good the Dinan group is everything gets worked out. When I contacted the Dinan warranty guy directly he was very knowledgeable and very helpful.

I know I am babbling but even with the issues I love this tune over stock and would do it again. Now if I can just find a cayenne turbo to embarrass....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's a promotion on Dinan products for the month of March. It maybe my time to pull the trigger...
Go for it, you're going to love it. I ended up saving a little on my suspension purchase with this discount they have going

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

I finally bit the bullet and scheduled an appointment for the Dinan tune. Thanks to ALL who have provided comments and positive assurance about the Dinan product and warranty.

Does anyone know if I will lose my personalized coding with the installation of the Dinan tune? I asked the Dinan rep and his impression was that only the engine management software is overwritten.
Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada1198 View Post
I have Stage 3 on my 11 X5 5.0
Now if I can just find a cayenne turbo to embarrass....
Lol I don't think stg3 will be able to embarrass a cayenne turbo, would be interesting to see how that race ended up though

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I finally bit the bullet and scheduled an appointment for the Dinan tune. Thanks to ALL who have provided comments and positive assurance about the Dinan product and warranty.

Does anyone know if I will lose my personalized coding with the installation of the Dinan tune? I asked the Dinan rep and his impression was that only the engine management software is overwritten.
Can anyone confirm?
Congrats! did you end up going for stage 2? can't help you out on that question but enjoy the tune

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #19
jeffkukuruda
Private
Rep
Drives: M5, M3, X5D

Speaking of dinan tune... Anyone heard anything lately on the rumored release of 35D tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #20
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Congrats! did you end up going for stage 2? can't help you out on that question but enjoy the tune
Service appointment is slated for the end of the month. Stage 2 is the only option available for the X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #21
Harve10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: RRS Auto

Where are you having it done? Port Chester? If so, let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
rangerfan
Rep
Drives: '13 35i MSport

Did you get it done? I'm looking to get mine done at the same shop and was curious about your experience. And of course, the performance!
Appreciate 0