XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-22-2014, 04:11 AM   #1
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

X5M winter tire setup

Hi everyone,

last winter I ran bridgestone blizzaks 275/40R20 all around, but I had no sidewall support in the back and I hated the stretch. Disregarding price, what setup do you recommend if I wanted to run either a bigger square setup or staggered, but bigger than 275 and smaller than the factory 315?

The tires will be put on the OEM 299s.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I run the CONTI DWS in New England all year round and they are amazing tires for what they are. Drove in several bad storms last year trying to catch first tracks (skiing) and thy held up incredibly well driving through 18-20+ inches of snow and ice. You can also have a little fun in the winter with these tires by sliding around.

I found with how easy and how feedback you get in the steering wheel with this SUV that all seasons are more than sufficient.

Give them a shot!! Plus they are not RFTs so the ride is way better and come summer they handle well.

However, I really wish Michelein came out with their AP3/4 for our sizes. I would buy those in a heart beat!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
speedwaywhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M, Sapphire/Perf.Bambo

Re-post from last winter...

Having moved from FL to Kansas City at the start of winter, I learned very quickly the limitations of the stock RFTs in really cold and then snow. I had the following mounted on my OEM style 300 wheels:

2 275/40R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Run Flat Run Flat XL $346.00 each
2 315/35R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Run Flat Run Flat XL $412.00 each

Wow - as much fun as the X5M is dry, having the power, AWD and true snow tires make it a true BLAST to drive in the cold and snow! I still wanted RFTs so I didn't have to worry about the no-spare-tire. Yes; expensive. Yes; worth every penny for safety, security and fun.

I know not everyone is thrilled with RFTs nor the Pirelli's, but I'm thrilled with my set-up.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwaywhite View Post
Re-post from last winter...

Having moved from FL to Kansas City at the start of winter, I learned very quickly the limitations of the stock RFTs in really cold and then snow. I had the following mounted on my OEM style 300 wheels:

2 275/40R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Run Flat Run Flat XL $346.00 each
2 315/35R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Run Flat Run Flat XL $412.00 each

Wow - as much fun as the X5M is dry, having the power, AWD and true snow tires make it a true BLAST to drive in the cold and snow! I still wanted RFTs so I didn't have to worry about the no-spare-tire. Yes; expensive. Yes; worth every penny for safety, security and fun.

I know not everyone is thrilled with RFTs nor the Pirelli's, but I'm thrilled with my set-up.
I would keep the spare around for blow outs, especially during the winter. Had this happen to me last winter. Was driving back from skiing and nailed a pothole had no idea it was there. The plows really tear up the roads here. My pirelli scorpion ice and snow blew right out, of course i was at race weight and didnt have my spare haha.