XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Jajo
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Curious about the X5M...Asking for some pointers

Locally, there is a 2010 X5M for sale. It has 35,000 miles, and it has really caught my attention. At this point, I think it has very little (if at all) warranty left, but there is a 3 Star or 3 Star Plus Warranty that is offered (http://www.vantagefinance.com/wimage...ures/3star.pdf). Does anyone have experience with that warranty?

Also, what is the X5M like all year round? Is it a good everyday car? It'll be for the wife. In addition, what kind of problems are common with the X5M? Is the first year model something to stay away from?

Thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Great unit for everyday and all year around, as expected it's not great on fuel.
      02-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
gmaurer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Winter?

Depends on where you live.
Southern CA - fine.
Boston, MA - no way.
At a minimum, you'd need to change out the tires for winter use in snow.
Not a cheap exercise.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
If you are worried about the cost of snow tires, than the M is definitely not for you. With proper snow tires, the X5M is the ultimate snow tank. It is unstoppable. And unless you hit the fun button and use the paddles, it is very sedate. My wife has no idea what it can really do.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

I bought aftermarket wheels and snow tires and it goes anywhere. I live in Ct, so we get our fair share of ice and snow. Having snows also extends the life of the summer tires, so that offsets the cost of the snows. Its a great year-round vehicle.
      02-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
And for the record, it needs nothing but snow tires. Buying a wheel and tire package is the best way to do it. To me, it is the ultimate daily driver. It's the best winter vehicle I have ever driven - no question. For summer, it will eat just about anything on the roads alive, and also haul all your shit to the lake, including your boat. Best all around vehicle ever. Just buy stock in your favorite gas station, or better yet buy a gas station!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Jajo
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Thanks to everyone for the comments so far.

I have already priced out Continental DWS, and they would run $1000, which I thought was pretty cheap considering the width of the rears.

I guess in the end, I have three main concerns.

Gas mileage is terrible, it might be too powerful (I won't be the one driving), and something big is bound to come up eventually with repairs.

All these thoughts run through my mind, and when I drive by the dealership, all those thoughts disappear. I have never seen an SUV so intimidating, so beautiful. The closest would be the Cayenne GTS or Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajo View Post

I have already priced out Continental DWS, and they would run $1000, which I thought was pretty cheap considering the width of the rears.

Gas mileage is terrible, it might be too powerful (I won't be the one driving), and something big is bound to come up eventually with repairs.

All these thoughts run through my mind, and when I drive by the dealership, all those thoughts disappear. I have never seen an SUV so intimidating, so beautiful. The closest would be the Cayenne GTS or Turbo.
Only you can decide whether the cost of ownership is it worth it to you. As far as mileage - it isn't much different than the 50i, assuming a good mix of highway driving. If you are all city I am sure it is abysmal. As far as the too powerful - drive one. It is really very sedate until you decide you don't want it to be sedate any more. Until you engage M mode, it aggressively seeks the higher gear, so your RPMs stay pretty low. Unless you mash the pedal, you would have no idea there are 550 horses lurking under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajo View Post

i'd be more concerned about cost of repairs in a few years if you don't have extended warranty or CPO on it. Lot of tech/complex engineering in that machine. Gas mileage is bad. Everything else is great.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

DWS are good all season tires that are great in the snow but still not winter tires I made it through a nasty Alberta winter this year with them but i did get winter tires for next winter. My wife drives a 35d with a tune so it's pretty impressive but if my wife gets my M for a week she dosent want to give it back. It gets around 17mpg with mixed driving so it's not horrible I would bet a Caddy or Denali would be worse for mileage.
      02-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

With the Continental AS tires, it's fine in the snow (we've had about 70 inches here in Chicago so far). It's a gas guzzler for sure and it's my wife's favorite car so far.

It's quick, but because it's so heavy, it's not really that fast. It's a great safe family car (hence my wife's car and family car). Of course, everything seems slow when my other car does 0-60 in under 3 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
ncraig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
With the Continental AS tires, it's fine in the snow (we've had about 70 inches here in Chicago so far). It's a gas guzzler for sure and it's my wife's favorite car so far.

It's quick, but because it's so heavy, it's not really that fast. It's a great safe family car (hence my wife's car and family car). Of course, everything seems slow when my other car does 0-60 in under 3 seconds.
just curious what did u do to make your isf under 3?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncraig View Post
just curious what did u do to make your isf under 3?
I think he meant his 997.2 TTS
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
ncraig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabizzy View Post
I think he meant his 997.2 TTS
u r right..my bad
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

But the IS-F does 0-60 in 3.9 and with 1 foot rollout in 3.7 using Micky Thompsons on 18" rims, headers, exhaust, remove spare and jack and tools, and lithium battery, and lots of practice on a nice day. BTW, that's based on VBOX data.

I'll put the VBOX on the X5M soon and I'll post stock X5M numbers - but the launch control really does help the X5M and the IS-F has no launch. It's from idle.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #16
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

I have owned a Escalade and the X5m is MUCH worse in mileage. Infact one of the worse vehicles I ever owned. But who buys one for mileage??

The DWS will get you through winter just fine. Don't worry about it. Unless you are driving through deep snow, you will be fine with DWS. I drove mine is snow with the summer RFT on it and it was OK. When I swapped to the DWS it was great.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc

Get the Dinan tune..then it becomes fast!
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #18
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

pfffff, a rocket is faster yet doesn't carry my groceries!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
DWS are good all season tires that are great in the snow but still not winter tires I made it through a nasty Alberta winter this year with them but i did get winter tires for next winter. My wife drives a 35d with a tune so it's pretty impressive but if my wife gets my M for a week she dosent want to give it back. It gets around 17mpg with mixed driving so it's not horrible I would bet a Caddy or Denali would be worse for mileage.
I have DWS on my X5M 8-9 months of the year, but as in Alberta the Montana winters require real winter tires. I did get stuck once in about 16" of snow over ice, and had to get some sand under the wheels to get home to a nice bottle of Scotch. Where we live you can't count on plowed roads.

We also have a '13 X5 35i that the Mrs drives in the winter, but when it gets really nasty out she takes the M
      04-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I have DWS on my X5M 8-9 months of the year, but as in Alberta the Montana winters require real winter tires. I did get stuck once in about 16" of snow over ice, and had to get some sand under the wheels to get home to a nice bottle of Scotch. Where we live you can't count on plowed roads.

We also have a '13 X5 35i that the Mrs drives in the winter, but when it gets really nasty out she takes the M

I think it's time to upgrade your wheels...sell me your BBS