XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #133
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
That's crazy, the front doors still opened. Great engineering, hope she's ok.
Ehhh. Not really. I mean it's a modern car, so the engineering is probably pretty good as it should be, but i'm not impressed the doors opened. 7 story drop sounds crazier than it is. She got hurt because of the angle she landed is not really how cars are designed to crash.

Anything from today would've performed the same. Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Mercedes. With today's cars, there's nothing special about any country's engineering when compared to another's.

Anyway this is probably the equivalent to a 25-30 mph crash, but just at an unusual angle. She's lucky she didn't land roof first. She would've been crushed instantly.

08-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #134
KrashFinatik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Sport Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10RR View Post
Ridiculous
So if I mistake the trigger on my hand gun for the safety and shoot myself. Can I sue?:
It's America. You can sue anybody for anything. If she is suing anyone, it would likely be the garage owner given the previous safety concerns there. Anyway, glad she survived.
Yup that's right! You can sue anybody for your own mistakes or stupidity.
For example many years ago a woman sued Winnebago because she crashed after setting the cruise control and went in the back of the RV going down the interstate. She won $$$ plus got a new RV because Winnebago did not have it in the manual you must still be in control of the vehicle.
      08-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #135
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrashFinatik View Post
Yup that's right! You can sue anybody for your own mistakes or stupidity.
For example many years ago a woman sued Winnebago because she crashed after setting the cruise control and went in the back of the RV going down the interstate. She won $$$ plus got a new RV because Winnebago did not have it in the manual you must still be in control of the vehicle.
Under the American tort system the comparative fault of the parties will be determined. There is no question she is primarily at fault. But the garage operator is at fault too. Using tort law to require the operator to repair a dangerous condition is an important function. Needed here since the City of Austin obviously didn't do it.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #136
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Ehhh. Not really. I mean it's a modern car, so the engineering is probably pretty good as it should be, but i'm not impressed the doors opened. 7 story drop sounds crazier than it is. She got hurt because of the angle she landed is not really how cars are designed to crash.

Anything from today would've performed the same. Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Mercedes. With today's cars, there's nothing special about any country's engineering when compared to another's.

Anyway this is probably the equivalent to a 25-30 mph crash, but just at an unusual angle. She's lucky she didn't land roof first. She would've been crushed instantly.

I didn't say that other makes of cars wouldn't perform the same way, my point was that thats pretty good engineering. If you look at your attached photo you can see how the crumple zone does its job. My math says the speed would be closer to 40mph, striking a fixed object, the ground didn't have any rebound affect as hitting another car at that speed may have, but regardless I think we can all appreciate this engineering if we find ourselves or a loved one in a 40mph crash with a fixed object.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #137
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
I didn't say that other makes of cars wouldn't perform the same way, my point was that thats pretty good engineering. If you look at your attached photo you can see how the crumple zone does its job. My math says the speed would be closer to 40mph, striking a fixed object, the ground didn't have any rebound affect as hitting another car at that speed may have, but regardless I think we can all appreciate this engineering if we find ourselves or a loved one in a 40mph crash with a fixed object.
What I was really impressed with is how the convertible top held up.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #138
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Thats the ONLY explanation.

I am surprised it took 5 pages for someone here to state it so.

I think part of the reason is that BMW auto transmission is a very bad and counter-intuitive design.
I don't think the ZF selector is at fault here, the driver was rather too distracted...

1. You need to press the brake to go in drive or reverse, so you have pressed the brake and probably still have your foot on it when maneuvering at low speed.

2. When you go on reverse a shit load happen, from PDC beep initializing and iDrive showing your sensor / camera. If you missed all this cues (or them not happening) then you were really too distracted in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #139
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post

I think you are deluding yourself, probably b/c you have people you love who ride around in Kia's or Hyundai's - there is a huge difference in safety across brands. IIRC, somebody did the math and this is actually more like a 55mph head on, far more than most cheapo brands engineer for. Even at 30mph, most lower priced cars would have been much more damaged (along w/ the driver) - not necessarily a country-of-origin issue, but there is a huge gap between 'goodnuff' and the top tier. Check out the IIHS site to see how much difference a little extra engineering can make (when I was shopping my 228, the most telling comparo was with the BRZ - you'll see where a lot of that extra $$$ went on the offset impact test). I just wish they would take it to the next level and start offering 'extra safety' versions, like the track packs - with another 50-100 pounds of metal, and probably just a few hundred bucks, you could turn a 2 series into quite a tank, if you were building it from the ground up.
Appreciate 0