XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #23
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
Sorry BMW but you have no chance. Model 3 is the iPhone of cars and BMW is starting to look like Nokia and blackberry. Tesla hires some of the best engineers, including, recently the GOD of artificial intelligence: https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/20/te...opilot-vision/
Are you serious???

No driving enthusiast wants to drive a car with no dials behind the steering wheel but instead just a huge iPad centre stage!!! Tesla are no doubt great cars and have their place, but they'll NEVER be the driving enthusiasts choice (only the tech enthusiasts choice)

You honestly believe that a solar panel company who made their first car less than 10 years ago will overtake one of the worlds leading automakers who started up 100 years ago?? BMW are more than capable of making electric cars and as this article outlines, not enough people are buying pure EVs yet, so it makes sense to offer a choice to customers! Something Tesla cannot do!!

Last edited by nozydog; 08-08-2017 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 5
      08-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #24
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Are you serious???

No driving enthusiast wants to drive a car with no dials behind the steering wheel but instead just a huge iPad centre stage!!! Tesla are no doubt great cars and have their place, but they'll NEVER be the driving enthusiasts choice (only the tech enthusiasts choice)

You honestly believe that a solar panel company who made their first car less than 10 years ago will overtake one of the worlds leading automakers who started up 100 years ago?? BMW are more than capable of making electric cars and as this article outlines, not enough people are buying pure EVs yet, so it makes sense to offer a choice to customers! Something Tesla cannot do!!
I am with you dude, but fucking millennials man, they suck.

Disclaimer: Technically I am a millennial since they keep pushing back the start year (what is it now like 1975 or some shit) so this is clearly a joke before feelings start getting hurt.

See below at 1:49

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      08-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #25
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
:Technically I am a millennial since they keep pushing back the start year (what is it now like 1975 or some shit)
From wikipedia:

"demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

If you were born in 1975, you're a Gen-Xer.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      08-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #26
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
:Technically I am a millennial since they keep pushing back the start year (what is it now like 1975 or some shit)
From wikipedia:

"demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

If you were born in 1975, you're a Gen-Xer.
I was not unfortunately, but good to know!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #27
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Bmw has a good strategy here. There is nothing that can beat a purpose-built machine, but the modular approach will be good for shifting to demand. Interested to see bmws fully electric 3 but I imagine it wont be as appealing as a model 3
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #28
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

The problem this approach is addressing is mostly due to Trump pulling out of the Paris Climate accords and his unwillingness to accept climate change. He's looking backward or so beholden to these existing dinosaurs he can't or won't do anything else. He's an old man with old man ideas.

As a side note, even if climate change were some how just a cyclic phenomenon, why would it matter, Fossil fuel emissions are toxic.
And further, the economic change to clean energy and all the ancillary products and services is a huge job generator and its healthier for all.

The EU has plans to make all (or most cars) electric by 2020. If the USA had similar regs in place this sort of do everything approach to drivetrains would not be necessary.

BMW would clearly be exploiting and further developing what they started with the i3 and i8. Instead they are caught in limbo or at least think they are.

Krueger doesn't know how many electric cars customers want under these conditions.

If we all accepted the science most of the scientists in world accept, we would high tail it to a future of electric cars. There'd be no hedging or guessing. We'd all be funneled to electric cars. Hydrogen might be nice but there's no infrastructure compared to the electric grid we have now.
All car companies plans would be settled and the march to greater range and faster charging batteries would be set.

As customers and citizens we would all be doing what's right for future generations and we'd feel OK about it.

Discuss.
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
      08-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #29
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
The problem this approach is addressing is mostly due to Trump pulling out of the Paris Climate accords and his unwillingness to accept climate change. He's looking backward or so beholden to these existing dinosaurs he can't or won't do anything else. He's an old man with old man ideas.

As a side note, even if climate change were some how just a cyclic phenomenon, why would it matter, Fossil fuel emissions are toxic.
And further, the economic change to clean energy and all the ancillary products and services is a huge job generator and its healthier for all.

The EU has plans to make all (or most cars) electric by 2020. If the USA had similar regs in place this sort of do everything approach to drivetrains would not be necessary.

BMW would clearly be exploiting and further developing what they started with the i3 and i8. Instead they are caught in limbo or at least think they are.

Krueger doesn't know how many electric cars customers want under these conditions.

If we all accepted the science most of the scientists in world accept, we would high tail it to a future of electric cars. There'd be no hedging or guessing. We'd all be funneled to electric cars. Hydrogen might be nice but there's no infrastructure compared to the electric grid we have now.
All car companies plans would be settled and the march to greater range and faster charging batteries would be set.

As customers and citizens we would all be doing what's right for future generations and we'd feel OK about it.

Discuss.
Thank God for Trump

Sounds like he's the reason I'll be able to drive a REAL car with a REAL engine for just a little while longer

Everytime I blow past an electric car in my M4 be it an i3, Tesla, Prius what have you. I'm thinking. What a sissy

:
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #30
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Are you serious???

Hey man car guys will have our cars, don't worry about that. Its like people who ride horses today, it will be for hobbyists and the hard core.

But not for mainstream, and yes what makes u think just because a company is 100 years old makes it good? Apple destroyed nokia which was a lot older.
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
      08-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #31
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Thank God for Trump

Sounds like he's the reason I'll be able to drive a REAL car with a REAL engine for just a little while longer

Everytime I blow past an electric car in my M4 be it an i3, Tesla, Prius what have you. I'm thinking. What a sissy

:
A Tesla model 3 dual motor performance version will own your M4. The high spec model S and X already pwn ur little M4.

Also, Trump loves Tesla they are engineered and built by Americans! Your M4 was designed and built in Germany, if anything Trump already threatened to slap import duties on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #32
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
A Tesla model 3 dual motor performance version will own your M4. The high spec model S and X already pwn ur little M4.

Also, Trump loves Tesla they are engineered and built by Americans! Your M4 was designed and built in Germany, if anything Trump already threatened to slap import duties on BMW.
lmao the model S actually gets spanked by the any equivalent gas engine anything past 0-60. The M4 would also destroy any model s on the track.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #33
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Vegan leather

Only in California
Better than supporting the cattle industry
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #34
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Quote:

lmao the model S actually gets spanked by the any equivalent gas engine anything past 0-60. The M4 would also destroy any model s on the track.
Sure sure sure when they finally catch up lol
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #35
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank God for Trump

:

Good for trump.

BMW would just build them all in Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #36
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
No catching up needed lol
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #37
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Wow wow scary times. Wouldn't want to be the CEO now. They are clearly struggling, not knowing what to do.
If Jag i-pace is any success, than this BMW strategy will be proven wrong again.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 01:57 AM   #38
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Guess again.... 0-60 ha! 1320 feet bahahaha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Quote:
No catching up needed lol
BS the BMW M4 stock cannot touch a 10sec 1320 time.

Tesla P85DL can.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 01:59 AM   #39
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
Wow wow scary times. Wouldn't want to be the CEO now. They are clearly struggling, not knowing what to do.
If Jag i-pace is any success, than this BMW strategy will be proven wrong again.
The I-Pace will be very successful.

And don't be surprised if Jaguar is the first company to sign up to share the supercharger network.
Appreciate 1
michal12200.00
      08-09-2017, 04:02 AM   #40
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hey man car guys will have our cars, don't worry about that. Its like people who ride horses today, it will be for hobbyists and the hard core.

But not for mainstream, and yes what makes u think just because a company is 100 years old makes it good? Apple destroyed nokia which was a lot older.
Hmmm... I always loved Nokia phones, now I use..... iPhone!! Which of course, makes you absolutely..... right!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 04:10 AM   #41
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
BMW is not silly... it knows that all electric motoring is, in reality, a long way off!! A post above suggests the EU wants to be all electric by 2020... but the EU have always lived in cloud cuckoo land, that's why the UK are leaving!!!

Petrol engines will still be around for another 20 or 30 years which shows BMW's policy is a sensible one, after all, there's absolutely no point in going all electric years before the car buying public are ready for it... which most are not!

Show me a well built, good looking, mid sized EV that costs around £25k ($30K) is driver focussed, handles brilliantly and makes the driver feel special....!!

I rest my case!
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 06:21 AM   #42
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Better than supporting the cattle industry
I love me some beef. So no

Back at you
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      08-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #43
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank God for Trump

:

Beyond 60 Buh bye Tesla as others have mentioned

Trump threatens everyone. Not to worried about it. The Spartanburg plant will calm him down.

Just waiting for the model 3 to shit the bed.

I'm all for American companies and if BMW takes a crap I'll go American muscle if need be. They will always be in the ICE (real car) game
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      08-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #44
Hoiser
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i

Once there is a shift to designing for electric the increased sales will drive out the necessity to offer petrol versions. Designing for two platforms will become unnecessary and redundant. Such a bummer, I like the hum of an engine.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50