XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #23
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Been a little bit- that last post was around 250k, I'm about to crest 290k now. WOW, it's been over a year! In the past 90k miles of ownership, it's towed max rated weight for at least 20k miles. I really do use this X5d, and it just keeps thrumming along. Whether it's got 500+ pounds of DPF's in the trunk or it's lifting 2 wheels off road, I drive this thing day in and day out through it all. Currently Running 265/60-18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's, and the extra grip and utility of running AT's has been great. No more worrying about sidewall damage while driving around my buddy's farmland and doing the various offroading I do.

So, I finally got a lift up in my new shop. That means lots of things to come for the X5. One I ready my ZHP for daily duty, the X5 is off daily duty until the refresh is done. This list is ever expanding, but this is the list off top memory.
-headlights sent out to NABDOG member for full rebuild including new reflector bowls, refreshed wiring, and painted inside, and new lenses. my headlights are bloody useless at this point, my diode dynamic fogs are basically my lowbeams and the 12" DD driving bar is is my highbeams. The headlights themselves don't really put out any useful light.
-My power steering pump is making noise. I'm goign to flush the fluid before all this work, and see if that makes a difference. If not, I suppose it's time for a new pump!
-3.15 diffs install, new seals, new oem front driveshaft to fit. MPG here I come! Between the oversized tires and the diff swap I should be rolling at about 21% lower rpm for a given speed.
-Trans service, I've got 60k on this fluid and with all the towing I do, it's very overdue. Going to let it drain for a bit, and refill with adrenaline on Rod's recommendation.
-trans mounts, guibos, engine mounts, CSB.... I don't want vibrations anymore.
-Full suspension: new springs on all 4 corners, including new helper air bags in the rear. shocks/struts all around. Every arm, balljoint and bushing replaced except the already replaced monoball thrust arms. This will ride like brand new, because well, everything will be brand new.
-Fluidampr crank pulley + clutched alternator pully, because I'm fairly certain mine is original, it's looked like it's about to shred any second for the last 50k miles, and I just don't want to worry ever again about it.

I believe that sums it up. I'd love to get a little bull bar custom made that attaches to the tow hook points, some extra lighting and a little protection to be able to push brush and small trees out of the way would be awesome. Not sure if that'll happen soon though. I also have an ebay spacer lift kit, but I don't think I'm going to put it on. I'll either list it for sale, or save it for one day when I have another X5 and can make this one more of a "fun machine."
      05-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #24
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
Been a little bit- that last post was around 250k, I'm about to crest 290k now. WOW, it's been over a year! In the past 90k miles of ownership, it's towed max rated weight for at least 20k miles. I really do use this X5d, and it just keeps thrumming along. Whether it's got 500+ pounds of DPF's in the trunk or it's lifting 2 wheels off road, I drive this thing day in and day out through it all. Currently Running 265/60-18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's, and the extra grip and utility of running AT's has been great. No more worrying about sidewall damage while driving around my buddy's farmland and doing the various offroading I do.

So, I finally got a lift up in my new shop. That means lots of things to come for the X5. One I ready my ZHP for daily duty, the X5 is off daily duty until the refresh is done. This list is ever expanding, but this is the list off top memory.
-headlights sent out to NABDOG member for full rebuild including new reflector bowls, refreshed wiring, and painted inside, and new lenses. my headlights are bloody useless at this point, my diode dynamic fogs are basically my lowbeams and the 12" DD driving bar is is my highbeams. The headlights themselves don't really put out any useful light.
-My power steering pump is making noise. I'm goign to flush the fluid before all this work, and see if that makes a difference. If not, I suppose it's time for a new pump!
-3.15 diffs install, new seals, new oem front driveshaft to fit. MPG here I come! Between the oversized tires and the diff swap I should be rolling at about 21% lower rpm for a given speed.
-Trans service, I've got 60k on this fluid and with all the towing I do, it's very overdue. Going to let it drain for a bit, and refill with adrenaline on Rod's recommendation.
-trans mounts, guibos, engine mounts, CSB.... I don't want vibrations anymore.
-Full suspension: new springs on all 4 corners, including new helper air bags in the rear. shocks/struts all around. Every arm, balljoint and bushing replaced except the already replaced monoball thrust arms. This will ride like brand new, because well, everything will be brand new.
-Fluidampr crank pulley + clutched alternator pully, because I'm fairly certain mine is original, it's looked like it's about to shred any second for the last 50k miles, and I just don't want to worry ever again about it.

I believe that sums it up. I'd love to get a little bull bar custom made that attaches to the tow hook points, some extra lighting and a little protection to be able to push brush and small trees out of the way would be awesome. Not sure if that'll happen soon though. I also have an ebay spacer lift kit, but I don't think I'm going to put it on. I'll either list it for sale, or save it for one day when I have another X5 and can make this one more of a "fun machine."
Wow almost 300k, that awesome man. Glad she's still tugging along.

And no lift kit? I was excited to see you install it! Any reason you decided not to?

Btw if you're looking for another dpf I have mine from my x5d I just deleted.
      05-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #25
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Wow almost 300k, that awesome man. Glad she's still tugging along.

And no lift kit? I was excited to see you install it! Any reason you decided not to?

Btw if you're looking for another dpf I have mine from my x5d I just deleted.
Thanks! I'm glad it's still moving along too... I want this thing to keep being my daily for the forseeable future.
As far as the lift kit: I can't rationalize the loss in MPG/ towing stability to further inconvenience myself loading the X5 up with heavy things just to get a little clearance. This thing currently does what I need it to off road.

Now, I'm potentially getting another X5 with rear air, and way less miles. If I convince my girlfriend to sell her CRV and take that, then I'll lift mine. I just want to keep mine good at towing... But maybe I'll just end up trying the lift out at some point to see how it is. I'd be curious to get the towing stability impressions and MPG hit data for everyone to have.

With the DPF- I'd gladly buy it, I buy a lot of them!
RL18273.50
      09-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #26
Louiep
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d - Sport, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Air Lift 60909 help.

Hey man, nice thread on your tow vehicle.

Can you offer any tips on the 60909 installations? How many spacers did you use? Did you secure them at all? Did you leave the point on the lower spring seat? Or cut it flatter to avoid putting pressure on the bag?

I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #27
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

I continue to be god awful at this thread. I'm over 304k now. Entire suspension job is done- 3.15 diffs, just about every single piece of the suspension is brand new, It drives beautifully, like a brand new bmw. I've got winter on it now, and need to figure out a slightly saggy corner (spring perch not seated, something like that).

Most importantly, I've been going about 30k without a CCV hose at all, shame on me. Finally geot a new oem hose wiht both sensor/heaters. Going to install it this weekend and hopefully get the check engine light off my dash, and maybe pick up a few mpg., also, this will hopefully help me stop dripping oil from my from passenger corner. This summer I need to re0sort my rea airbags, as they definitely don't work/ pinched / need new hoses/ need a fully new install. I also am going to commit to some new sound insulation, and at least insulate the trunk floor, trunk lid, and doors. I think I'll see a huge improvement in doing those, I'd love to have my X5 be as quiet as a brand new 7 series.

This thing continues to be y daily driver. Slowly, now that fuel is at $5 a gallon, and I'm actually going to replace my ZHP's o2 sensor and intake boots in an effort to get it a bit more fuel efficient, might daily that for a little bit while fuel prices are astronomic.
      03-10-2022, 06:21 PM   #28
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

How much a difference did the new suspension make?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #29
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

Mine tows nicely too. I tried towing with an I6 E53, but it was working way too hard. The X5d barely breaks a sweat...

AM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #30
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
How much a difference did the new suspension make?
New suspension made a massive difference. No more hops over bumps, so much smoother overall. Quieter too. I've got about 14k miles on it all now, and I wouldnt hesitate to do it again. In fact, I probably will do it again in 100kish miles.

I also did motor mounts mounts, guibos, etc. Pretty much anything that's under the car besides the engine and trans is brand new. The motor mounts really smoothed things out, I think.
      03-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #31
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
Mine tows nicely too. I tried towing with an I6 E53, but it was working way too hard. The X5d barely breaks a sweat...
I can't imagine towing in an m54 powered e53. The thing was underpowered by itself, better yet trying to pull something with it! The X5d doesnt break a sweat doing much of anything, though my trans is certainly feeling the strain. If I put too much load through my trans nowadays I get some interesting vibrations. I continue to think my trans has a finite life, and do need to get it rebuilt/ get a used one rebuilt to hot swap.
      03-14-2022, 04:09 PM   #32
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

Quote:
I can't imagine towing in an m54 powered e53. The thing was underpowered by itself, better yet trying to pull something with it!
I agree, though it performed admirably for what it was. We towed the pictured camper, sans jet skis, all the way from Co Spgs to Big Sky, MT last summer. It worked the little M54 pretty hard, but BMW engines generally don't complain when worked hard. Still, it clearly was not the right tow vehicle for what I want to do.

I had been looking for an X5d, but didn't acquire one until shortly after that trip. The picture above was its maiden towing voyage after modifying the camper bumper to increase strength to allow towing our jet skis behind. It pulled great and I got about 15.5 mpg. I was hoping for a little better, but I think we got 11.X towing less weight with the e53 out to Big Sky.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:55 PM   #33
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
I agree, though it performed admirably for what it was. We towed the pictured camper, sans jet skis, all the way from Co Spgs to Big Sky, MT last summer. It worked the little M54 pretty hard, but BMW engines generally don't complain when worked hard. Still, it clearly was not the right tow vehicle for what I want to do.

I had been looking for an X5d, but didn't acquire one until shortly after that trip. The picture above was its maiden towing voyage after modifying the camper bumper to increase strength to allow towing our jet skis behind. It pulled great and I got about 15.5 mpg. I was hoping for a little better, but I think we got 11.X towing less weight with the e53 out to Big Sky.

AM.
Not only 40% better fuel economy, but enough power to accelerate up hill without hesitation and to make a pass when needed.
      03-15-2022, 07:16 PM   #34
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X535d; M2, M3, M5, 540d, AMV8V

Garage List
Great thread! We recently reacquired (we had ordered it new but handed it down to family) our 2010 X535d and we're about to flip 200k so I really appreciate hearing your experience and seeing other high milers out there. It's my daily now and I'm impressed at how capable and comfortable it still is. We had to replace both turbos this year but aside from that it's been great and was worth the investment.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #35
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Blair View Post
Great thread! We recently reacquired (we had ordered it new but handed it down to family) our 2010 X535d and we're about to flip 200k so I really appreciate hearing your experience and seeing other high milers out there. It's my daily now and I'm impressed at how capable and comfortable it still is. We had to replace both turbos this year but aside from that it's been great and was worth the investment.
It's reasonably rare for either turbo, better yet both, to go! Did a non- german specific shop diagnose them? Also, if you're on facebook, the most active bmw diesel forum is there: North american BMW Diesel Owners Group. Worth joining if you havent already!
      05-03-2022, 05:28 PM   #36
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X535d; M2, M3, M5, 540d, AMV8V

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Blair View Post
It's reasonably rare for either turbo, better yet both, to go! Did a non- german specific shop diagnose them? Also, if you're on facebook, the most active bmw diesel forum is there: North american BMW Diesel Owners Group. Worth joining if you havent already!
I will check that out. The second turbo wasn't definitively shot but there was so much labor involved that I wanted a good visual inspection while they were in there. It was found to be leaking and there was no additional labor so made sense to do it while there since we intend to keep it till it no longer makes sense to do so. It wasn't an indy it was at dealership. TBH they did not recommend repairing and instead just donating the otherwise great car. It was almost a year ago and so far it's been the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #37
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Welp. Bad news everyone- the day has come. I moved across the country to CO from NJ 3 weeks ago, and 40 miles outside of nashville, I got some knocking in the motor. By the time I got into a parking lot off the highway, you could hear the interference inside the motor. Metal squeals from a motor are never a good sign. about 314,800 miles. Good news at the bottom though!

Day 1 of my trip: Repacked the entire U-haul 6x12 trailer, literally loaded to the brim for better weight balance. Then we set off. About 110 miles from our destination in NC, I lost injector #4. The next day, a veyr kind human from the NABDOG group met up with me, 40 miles from where I was, wiht a injector slide puller. I limped it with 0 boost and no locking torque converter those miles because I basically had no choice.

After a new injector, car ran great, we kepts going. Next travel day, 40 miles outside of Nashville, engine starts knocking up a hill. Trailer weighed 4500ish, and it was a small enclosed. I've pulled much more weight, much faster for longer periods of time, but today it was just this engine's day. 314, 800 miles. More strangers helped us get out of that pickle- we were NOT stuck in a place you'd want to be with your family. Next day, got a uhaul truck, emptied the X5 out and took everything I could in the box truck, including the roof cargo carrier. Tossed the 90 pound dog between the seats in the uhaul, gave him some benadryl to calm his nerves about his new seating position, and then continued on. We made it to CO on time, and another great human lent me a car for a week and a half to save me on a rental while we shipped our CRV out.

Good news: I've sourced a 33k mile engine, trans, and transfercase to be put into my X5. You read that right- THIRTY THREE. It's about as new as it can get these days for an m57. I verified the mileage with shops (even the specific techs!)who had worked on it, 2 vin reports, and some diligence. My X5 will need a trans sometime soon, and the 4x4 isnt currently working- the trans and transfercase will be brand new(33k miles) too! I'm looking forward to my X5's new heart.
      10-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #38
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Motor, trans and transfercase should be in today, running and driving. Tomorrow I'm supposed to fly out and pick it up, driving 1200 miles home! I can't wait to have my X5D back!!

Sidenote- Apparently one of my front axles wasnt seated all the way into the diff. Likely my fault after a bearing failed on that corner. Front diff was very low on oil, and had metal in the oil that was left. Sicne the new diff is a 3.64, and I need my diffs to match, I need to use the "old" 3.15 diffs. Fresh oil, and send it until it makes noise I guess!

This X5 has about 8k miles of planned miles in the next month and a half, so fingers crossed, knock on wood, this is going to work out!
askjeeves147.00
      10-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #39
Storm_F22
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Such a cool build. I really love these diesels!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 12:04 PM   #40
dang2407
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 E70 35D MSport

Are you going to get the old engine torn down to see what failed? Always good to learn what the weakest link is...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #41
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang2407 View Post
Are you going to get the old engine torn down to see what failed? Always good to learn what the weakest link is...
I unfortunately don't have the space to do it myself right now, so I left the motor+trans+tcase at the shop. I'm probably selling it cheap to someone who will be tearing it down to recover any parts that are still good, and by virtue, I should be getting confirmation as to what really happened.
      01-15-2023, 10:58 PM   #42
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Trailer weighed 4500ish, and it was a small enclosed. I've pulled much more weight, much faster for longer periods of time, but today it was just this engine's day.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on towing with the 3.15 diffs. I really want to drop my final drive ratios for daily driving but I tow my surf boat around all summer. The boat weighs a bit more than your trailer depending on how much gear I have stashed in it.

My initial thoughts are that it won't matter much, maybe I'd lose 6th gear unless I'm really getting after it on the highway. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 11:02 AM   #43
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
I'd love to hear your thoughts on towing with the 3.15 diffs. I really want to drop my final drive ratios for daily driving but I tow my surf boat around all summer. The boat weighs a bit more than your trailer depending on how much gear I have stashed in it.

My initial thoughts are that it won't matter much, maybe I'd lose 6th gear unless I'm really getting after it on the highway. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Don’t do it. If you’re going to do anything there’s a guy on the bmw North American diesel group on Facebook that’s selling a kit to swap our 6 spd to the newer 8spd trans, full integration. Only then would it make sense to swap to 3.15 gearing.
You’re putting unnecessary strain on the engine and drivetrain with the stock 6spd. There’s a reason bmw went with 3.64 gearing in these and it wasn’t because of towing.
      01-19-2023, 04:52 PM   #44
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Don’t do it. If you’re going to do anything there’s a guy on the bmw North American diesel group on Facebook that’s selling a kit to swap our 6 spd to the newer 8spd trans, full integration. Only then would it make sense to swap to 3.15 gearing.
You’re putting unnecessary strain on the engine and drivetrain with the stock 6spd. There’s a reason bmw went with 3.64 gearing in these and it wasn’t because of towing.
I was assuming the ratio may have been targeted towards rated fuel economy for advertising (not real world fuel economy). It could be to reduce excess strain, but since when does BMW care about longevity past the warranty period? 10k+ mile oil change intervals, "lifetime" transmission fluid, etc. I would guess the e70's towing limits are more chassis related than engine/transmission related - they both seem pretty stout.

Also for non towing situations, shaving a few hundred RPM while cruising at 80mph for hours on end would have to reduce engine wear a reasonable amount in addition to better mpg.
Appreciate 0