XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

So, I've been doing a good bit of research into this and it seems as though the most likely culprit is a bad satellite receiver or TCU. I don't believe my X5 has the satellite receiver, so I'm leaning towards the TCU. I do want to clarify something though with the attached picture. I believe I have the TCU marked correctly, but I'm not sure what the other thing is in front of it? Amplifier?

Also, where is the satellite receiver located?

Lastly, the fiber optic wires to the TCU have the red light, but only for a second or two, then it disappears. And the red light does not appear every time I disconnect it.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
I believe that is the amplifier.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

I had this exact issue with my e90- turned out my sat receiver had gone bad. $550 for a used unit including install, at the time I wasn't trying to DIY things, I just needed it to commute. I believe it's in the trunk on the left, but don't hold me to it. The sat receiver was on the fiber optic loop, and if one thing fails it takes out everything.
      10-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
I had this exact issue with my e90- turned out my sat receiver had gone bad. $550 for a used unit including install, at the time I wasn't trying to DIY things, I just needed it to commute. I believe it's in the trunk on the left, but don't hold me to it. The sat receiver was on the fiber optic loop, and if one thing fails it takes out everything.
Thanks. I see that the satellite receiver is the most common problem/component to fail. However, I don't have one. I need to check the MULF under the driver's panel. There is a break in the MOST somewhere and I believe it is before the TCU/Combox as there is no read light in the fiber optic there.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 05:05 PM   #5
mlove
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Lemans Blue 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
So, I've been doing a good bit of research into this and it seems as though the most likely culprit is a bad satellite receiver or TCU. I don't believe my X5 has the satellite receiver, so I'm leaning towards the TCU. I do want to clarify something though with the attached picture. I believe I have the TCU marked correctly, but I'm not sure what the other thing is in front of it? Amplifier?

Also, where is the satellite receiver located?

Lastly, the fiber optic wires to the TCU have the red light, but only for a second or two, then it disappears. And the red light does not appear every time I disconnect it.

Thanks!
I know this an old post but, did you figure out that that is an amp? I just bought a 2009 X5 and I don't see the amp. I see the TCU (Bluetooth module) and HD radio. Just to add, my car does not have navigation. Also the green wire from the fiber optic cable to the HD radio has been looped (See attached photos). I get no Bluetooth and cannot pair a phone. I also get the SOS that comes on after a minute. I tried replacing the TCU and still no Bluetooth. I am lost. All I want is Bluetooth to work. Not sure if the amp is an issue or not because I cannot find it. Please help!
[IMG]
how to bulk edit on ebay[/IMG]
[IMG]
how to bulk edit on ebay[/IMG]
Appreciate 0