XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
RDX6
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 35i

Coolant Level Low

BMWer's,

Continued BMW education. So my SA says with 68K miles on my X6-35i it's time for a coolant and transmission flush. So I setup the appointment for the two services to be done. I pick up my X6 drive home no problem(Keep in mind when I dropped the X off at the dealer there were no problems). The next day I drive to the train (10 miles) and the "Coolant Level Low" warning comes on the idrive.

I stop at the nearest autozone, buy some Peak 50/50 coolant. I open the coolant reservoir and it is bone dry. So I top it off with coolant, get home double check my service invoice just to make sure of what services were done.

1. MOC Cooling system flush - $251.13
2. Transmission fluid exchange service - $399.96

So I emailed my SA pics of the coolant message and empty coolant reservoir. He seemed astonished that the service was done and the coolant was gone, he mentioned possible "air pocket"?

So my appointment is in 5 days(need a loaner) but I drive the X and it's going through coolant about a half gallon every 80 or so miles.

Is this a common problem? Find it interesting that I was doing a preventative recommended maintenance that actually caused a problem I didn't have before taking in to the Dealer.

Has BMW quality tanked over the years? I had a 2000 BMW 528i and it had a few issued over the course of 4 years owning it but nothing like coolant issued. My cayenne had 140K and it never had a coolant issue, I took care of her but I never babied her either and I didn't baby my 528i either.

Is there a X6 common problem thread?

RD
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

The tech might been in a hurry, top off the coolant and send the car out to customer.
with electric water-pump, it needs to be top off wihile the WP is riunning (engine off), it takes a few minutes to purge all air-pockets in the systems.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
If you are still losing coolant they failed to connect a hose or a drain properly. I'd be pissed! They should refund what you paid for it, or at least credit you.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
RDX6
Rep

Yea, I have all my coolant receipts because this is ridiculous. There isn't any coolant on the ground nor on or around the engine. However something is causing the coolant to evaporate, which it wasn't doing prior to me taking it in for the recommended service.

It is a pain filling the coolant every day, but I am hopeful that it is the dealers fault so I can complain about the inconvinence and lack of thoroughness in their work.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

OK, hang on here.

This is is NOT air-pocket in cooling systems, this is real leak. The problem with BMW nowadays, the coolant won't hit the ground it usually collected in the belly pan then when you drive it gets blown out.

I'd check :
1) radiator petcock drain valve, if it's leaking
2) harder to detect, engine coolant drain plug between cylinder 3-4 (in 35i), but I doubt dealer even drain the coolant from the engine anymore, cause that plug is rather tucked in.

BTW, you want to make sure you use no sulfate and no phosphate anti-freeze to top off.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
RDX6
Rep

Here is the latest news. So my SA called and said there are hairline cracks in the expansion tank. So he first tried to see if BMW NA would cover it since it was possibly due to the cold weather here in Chicago, the coolant flush while cycling could of put stress on the tank to cause the cracks while it was in for service and I didn't have any issues prior to bringing it in.

Obviously of course BMWNA declined the repair, however I appreciated the try. So my SA talked to the service manager and they said they would cover the labor if I purchased the expansion tank at a discounted price of $160.00. I'm not sure what the full price for the expansion tank and the cost of the labor involved. However I felt paying for the discounted expansion tank was fair, as I suspect most dealers would of charged me full price and labor and tried to wash their hands of any fault.

So all in all I think this probably turned out as best as it could, short of me not paying anything at all. I guess this can be chalked up in the good dealer experience column which is probably a short list!! hahahhah
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M

Ya except had they done a simple pressure test maybe could have spotted issue right away, and also for 160 buck is a small price for dealer to pick up to make it a proper experience seeing as how it didn't leak before and you were bringing them business to do preventive maint, not to mention money and effort spent o coolant and mess..

But yes I guess in this day and age to walk out with 160 dollar tab is not end of world, i wonder what full price is on that bad boy expansion tank
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
RDX6
Rep

Kerrazy,

I agree, I suspect originally they were trying to get my car back to me as soon as possible. Like any service organization quality and timely return of product are major factors.....so you can start on the next job.

I do laugh a bit because in the normal world, you do preventative maintenance to prevent things like this, however in this case it may have actually caused the problem!!! haha I must say that my SA was trying his best to resolve the matter without it being an out of packet expense, so the extra mile really matters here so I will definitely give him high marks and write a comment on the evaluation.

However one thing that does concern me is the amount of plastic in the engine compartments. The plastic pieces that go through different temperature changes just doesn't seem efficient to have in the engine area. Had an issue with some plastic hoses on my cayenne that needed to be replace because fluid was leaking on the starter. Apparently there is a class action suit against Porsche, got something in the mail and mail them my invoice and receipt for reimbursement.

Yea when he told me 160 I wasn't going to piss a fit because they at least tried to resolve the issue with some common sense which is dam near impossible for dealers to do sometimes.

Once I pickup on Tuesday, I will post parts and labor so everyone can have an idea. I also did some research on another site and apparently these expansion tanks are notorious for hairline cracks. So I would suggest if you are having a coolant leak and there is no visible leakage on the ground, radiator or on the engine anywhere, examine the expansion tank with a fine tooth comb. Any size crack, hole anything will cause coolant to evaporate from the expansion tank.

Also funny, I'm not trying to be age bias at all but the technician that worked on my car looked all but 22 years old, I'm all for skilled young people but that also got me thinking would an old timer working on my car cause an issue. Just food for thought, but wont go down that road because there are some very skilled trained young people working on some very complex cars.

Thanks to all those who offered their thoughts on this matter. It's almost crazy to think what people were doing before forums!! LOL

Last edited by RDX6; 02-08-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
RDX6
Rep

Got the X6 back, no more coolant leaking. They had the labor listed at zero so I don't know what it would of cost under normal circumstances, but the expansion tank was $124 (suppose to be discounted price) and bmw coolant was $24.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

all tech just follows the work-order no prior experience necessary, and to save money BMW dealers seem to hire out of vovational-tech college grads.
My foreman looks like mid-twenty.

BTW, not bad for $160 total cost, yes 1-gallon BMW coolant is $24 everywhere you go.
I replaced my old exp-tank on my old X5, the tank online was around $50 but I break the temp sensor (you need a special tool to twist and push), so extra $28 for new sensor, always live and learn experience working on BMW car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
RDX6
Rep

I thought it was fair, so I really couldn't complain. So for me, since I bought it used, I'm looking to get it on my maintenance comfort level schedule which usually takes about 2 to 4 months as you replace wear\tear, listen for noises, prevent maint and learning the various quirks about the car that are normal.

BTW..while at the dealer I took a pic of the inside of the 2014-7Series super nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0