XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Nick Daffern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

Parking Brake Malfunction

A couple of days ago I got a "Parking Brake Malfunction" warning on the screen and the parking brake wouldn't release. I was able to manually release the brake using the cable in the trunk and the yellow "Brake" symbol on the dash went away shortly after I drove off. The dealer ran a diagnostic but, except for the code showing the malfunction, the system operated normally and there was nothing to repair.

It happened again last night and the yellow "Brake" symbol remained illuminated. Has anyone had something similar happen? I suspect a ground fault, but that's only an uneducated guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
MRG123
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi ... Have you found out why this happened ? . Im having the same problem . I can be driving along and the "Parking Brake Malfunction" comes on the idrive . When i stop , i cant engage the hand brake unless i turn off the car then restart . Seems to reset it , but this is now happening more frequently .
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Nick Daffern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

Nope. I've been out of town and haven't been able to get it to the dealer. I drove it for 2 days before I left and the problem didn't recur. I'll see what happens when I get home.

What is actually a pretty good car is being marred by niggling intermittent problems like the powered tailgate sometimes not working and this latest issue with the parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Daffern View Post
like the powered tailgate sometimes not working
Close the lower gate gently and push both sides near the latches gently but firmly until you hear the clicks. Two clicks and the lift gate will operate normally every time
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
moe2010
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M sport

Parking Brake malfunction

I got "Parking Brake Malfunction" couple of times ,then I got following 3 in the same time , restart the car reset the errors:
-Braking/chassis stabilization malfunction -FTM system error - Parking Brake malfunction.
Dealer did scan the car , found the error come from left front speed sensor .they said corroded pins on it.they swapped left and right to see speed sensor or some thing else is root cause , they order new speed sensor any way .I will be there next week to put the new sensor.
My car just has 5k milage on it .
another interesting part is the way the wiring harness connected to these sensors behind front wheel .no shied on the wire and all pretty naked .I am going to put waterproof tape when the dealer finish their job .
I got from others that most likely these errors triger because the wiring harness is so tight in the front passenger side but mine came from left driver side . I am not sure but will update next week of what dealer find .so far I got the same errors twice .I have no idea why 6 months old car with 5k milage has corroded pins ,may be they are not water proof and washing the car and wheels cause this .hope this help !
Appreciate 0