XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
marblesyrup
Forced induction for high altitude.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Couple of observations from Colorado recently

Guys,

Thought I would drop my recent experience on you all.

Had my 2011 X5m since July 15; and it's been as awesome as I expected. Last 'M' car I owned was a 2006 M6 in London. Living in Colorado, my recent experience has been quite different.

I use Schomp BMW because they were the only dealer that would send me the (owner redacted) car history in advance of me buying the car. The other dealers I contacted couldn't be bothered and pretended they couldn't because of data protection. Picked the car up today from its first full service with them and everything was done in double time and they covered all outstanding recalls (apart from the airbag). They also loaned me a 2016 X3 which was well equipped and a pleasant departure from the torture I'm normally offered.

They made sure I had the '12' version injectors and even dealt directly with my 3rd party warranty company to fix some cracked pipes. All I had to do was provide the warranty contract number and phone number.

Anyway, since buying the car it has been a wonderful mountain machine. Its seals are not ostensibly perishable in hard conditions; unlike my Range Rover beforehand, and it is remarkably predictable in icy conditions - those wide rear tires are very noticeable.

Today though, was when I became truly impressed. Trying to drive back to Aspen from Denver, I got caught in a Blizzard at 12,000ft. I couldn't see more than 1 ft ahead of the windscreen. Couldn't see the end of the hood. It was quite unnerving but despite my all season Continental tires; the car took me down reliably.

I now have a healthier respect for mother nature and will make sure the car always has blankets, food and chains inside.

But I'm also truly impressed with this car's performance in the toughest conditions. I was thinking of selling it earlier this year; but I'm not sure why. What SUV offers more? I've owned most of the competition and they don't come close.

I think I'm going to go 'Gixxer' and start lavishing this machine with gifts.

Anyway, apologies for the self-serving soliloquy. I just thought some of you 'coastals' might like to know how resilient this car is when the going gets tough.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
marblesyrup
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention; my dashcam recorded the harrowing ride. Will upload to Youtube if there's interest.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I got stuck going west bound to Breck today from Denver. Wasn't in my X5 M but it was a terrible day to be on the road. Took four hours to clean ahead of us...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

One more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblesyrup View Post
Guys,

Thought I would drop my recent experience on you all.

Had my 2011 X5m since July 15; and it's been as awesome as I expected. Last 'M' car I owned was a 2006 M6 in London. Living in Colorado, my recent experience has been quite different.

I use Schomp BMW because they were the only dealer that would send me the (owner redacted) car history in advance of me buying the car. The other dealers I contacted couldn't be bothered and pretended they couldn't because of data protection. Picked the car up today from its first full service with them and everything was done in double time and they covered all outstanding recalls (apart from the airbag). They also loaned me a 2016 X3 which was well equipped and a pleasant departure from the torture I'm normally offered.

They made sure I had the '12' version injectors and even dealt directly with my 3rd party warranty company to fix some cracked pipes. All I had to do was provide the warranty contract number and phone number.

Anyway, since buying the car it has been a wonderful mountain machine. Its seals are not ostensibly perishable in hard conditions; unlike my Range Rover beforehand, and it is remarkably predictable in icy conditions - those wide rear tires are very noticeable.

Today though, was when I became truly impressed. Trying to drive back to Aspen from Denver, I got caught in a Blizzard at 12,000ft. I couldn't see more than 1 ft ahead of the windscreen. Couldn't see the end of the hood. It was quite unnerving but despite my all season Continental tires; the car took me down reliably.

I now have a healthier respect for mother nature and will make sure the car always has blankets, food and chains inside.

But I'm also truly impressed with this car's performance in the toughest conditions. I was thinking of selling it earlier this year; but I'm not sure why. What SUV offers more? I've owned most of the competition and they don't come close.

I think I'm going to go 'Gixxer' and start lavishing this machine with gifts.

Anyway, apologies for the self-serving soliloquy. I just thought some of you 'coastals' might like to know how resilient this car is when the going gets tough.
Schomp has crapped on me more than once on warranty issues: 1) to get the sandblasting issue resolved, and 2) The paint on my 135i rims disinegrating. Beware.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

I love Colorado! I was out there for a week on business and rented a car to drive up the mountains. It was so much fun I want to take the X5 out there, but its a 27 hour drive, one way... It was snowing in August near the peaks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Let's see the dashcam!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I use the M to drive to Vail from the Midwest with family and gear. It is solid as a rock, I use dedicated winter wheels and tires and no issues or disappointment at all.....besides the gas mileage perhaps with all the crap on the roof. The best comes when you are going uphill and stomp on the gas s pretty much never feel underpowered in any situation
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
marblesyrup
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
I got stuck going west bound to Breck today from Denver. Wasn't in my X5 M but it was a terrible day to be on the road. Took four hours to clean ahead of us...
Yes, I turned off before the tunnels and got stuck at the top of the Loveland pass. I'm glad I didn't have an accident although it was close a couple times!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

This sounds similar to my daily commute when I lived in Buffalo, every year between Dec and May...???

Ha! It's only snowed once (but HEAVILY) in Charlotte since I bought my X5 50i a year ago, and it performed surprisingly well for the three days it took them to dig us out. Actually they never dug us out, it just melted.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #11
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I use the M to drive to Vail from the Midwest with family and gear. It is solid as a rock, I use dedicated winter wheels and tires and no issues or disappointment at all.....besides the gas mileage perhaps with all the crap on the roof. The best comes when you are going uphill and stomp on the gas s pretty much never feel underpowered in any situation
Having a turbo is such an advantage in the mountains. My NA 4Runner doesn't do nearly as well as the X5 does.
Appreciate 0