XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
335idle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X3

Buying advice

Hello.,
So my 11 335i is paid off, and my family has out grown the car.
Now im looking to keep the 335i for me. And get a X5, for w.e dd, trips.

Kinda stuck on what year to pass over which have issues.

Narrowed down to 2009-2011 x5 30-35i(most are around 70k miles)

So my questions
How many miles can these cars go ?
I plan to buy one maintained with records
Not worried about repair cost. My best friend is a master tech at the local Bmw dealer.
Realistically would like 150k miles out of the x5. And will be driven mostly highway daily(14k miles a year)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

I haven't had mine long but originally i was after a 35i or if I could find a decent 50i.

If you can stretch to 2012 then its definitely worth it, they came with more options from the factory (colour matching halos). Better still a 35i sport with m-pacakge they have presents.

As for reliability I'd go as far as saying it depends how it was looked after and by who! I've seen one up for good money with 170k miles..

When you do get one its worth looking at getting the intakes walnut blasted to give the engine a new lease of life.

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

You can get a used X5 for dirt cheap these days. I've had my pair (X5 M and a diesel) for several years and spend a bit more on maintenance than other vehicles that I've had, but I sure love them a lot more. Make sure to get comfort seats and the premium sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Parise2713
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 FBO E70 X5

Can say that mine has been running great for me. 2012 35i with about 90k on it. Haven't had any major issues at all. Seems like as long as you take care of it properly then you're good to go. Seems like that applies to everything though. Was thinking about about selling in the near future, would like to get into something else.

Would like to hear what others have to say about it.

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding on.

Padnydetailing.com

IG/ Facebook: Padnydetailing
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Picked mine up for 13k 2012 with the n55 power plant.

It's flawless and well taken care of. Got it so cheap because of the fact it was 100k miles and the dealer sold it for what they gave for trade as they had issues selling higher mileage BMW's plus the fact they had like 20 of them on the lot.

It was a platinum gray x5 premium with oyster interior and third row seats fully loaded.

If your buying out of warranty stay with the n55 as its the least problematic engine from what I've heard. Friend as a mechanic or not parts will cost $$$$$ so best to stay with a reliable bulletproof engine and all the horror stories from the v8 crowd i would steer clear of a high mileage v8 the dealer even told me to stay away from them.

The n54 also have had reliability issues so like others have said if you can get a cheap n55 2012 or newer it's worth the extra coin.

Also just for people who want to know had the engine walnut blasted at 105,000 miles and the dealer said it could have gone to 150k they really weren't bad at all. They have noticed the x5 n55 engines don't have buildup like the cars do. And they recommend for x5 owners with the n55 to do it after 100k

I did it anyhow and feel good about it. I wouldn't do it until at least 100k though.
Appreciate 0