XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x m3 sexiness

How to make it louder

Hey all not new to bummers but new to the x5 it appears someone rigged the exhaust valve to stay open however it's still quiet as heck. On initial startup it's loud and sounds amazing I'd like to keep it that way. Is there a trick to this that can be shared? I tried google can't find any good info. Maybe it's my research method, unsure.

2013 x5 35i stock exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

If you search for "golf tee mod", you should be able to find it.

Here's a link to one sight: DYI Golf Tee Mod

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

He essentially has the golf tee mod already.

On the older cars, the exhaust flap was naturally open but vacuum held it closed. You could disconnect the line, stick a golf tee in the end and the valve would be open all the time.

On our cars, its reversed. Plugging the line will only keep the exhaust flap closes so you need to zip tie it open.

OP- if you want loud, cut the muffler off and replace it with a sportier one (M Performance or Vibrant) or some resonators.
      02-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x m3 sexiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
He essentially has the golf tee mod already.

On the older cars, the exhaust flap was naturally open but vacuum held it closed. You could disconnect the line, stick a golf tee in the end and the valve would be open all the time.

On our cars, its reversed. Plugging the line will only keep the exhaust flap closes so you need to zip tie it open.

OP- if you want loud, cut the muffler off and replace it with a sportier one (M Performance or Vibrant) or some resonators.
Yeah someone used a steel zip tie already to hold it open. It's super loud on cold start then suddenly quiets down a lot. Is that because of some exhaust port opening to heat up the catalytic converter? I know on my M3 there were two ports tha would open up to heat the converters then close after about a minute and make a huge difference on idle exhaust note. Ha. Wish I could have found a way to keep the ports open!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92friendly View Post
Yeah someone used a steel zip tie already to hold it open. It's super loud on cold start then suddenly quiets down a lot. Is that because of some exhaust port opening to heat up the catalytic converter? I know on my M3 there were two ports tha would open up to heat the converters then close after about a minute and make a huge difference on idle exhaust note. Ha. Wish I could have found a way to keep the ports open!
On the cold starts, the engine is running higher to warm up the cats quicker. After ~30 sec or so, it falls back to its normal running cycle.