XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Mre123
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Adaptive drive or not?

Hey can anyone tell me how important is adaptive drive on an X6, anyone drove one without back to back? Just wondering how much better handling do you get?

Also Is X6 build in US as X5? Anyone can confirm?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Well I couldn't tell you how an X6 would drive without it, but I can say that I drove my 325xi Coupe which doesn't have adaptive drive and I noticed a huge difference! Now I would never buy another BMW without it. I think it is a matter of taste, I've noticed on here people either hate it or absolutely love it. Within the city I find the steering incredibly easy and on the motorwayit stiffens up and makes driving such a pleasure. Just be careful of the first turn you make in it after having driven a car without it. I almost hit a corner because I wasn't expecting the X6 to turn so much while having turned the steering wheel so little!

As for being built in the US, yep mine was definately built in the US. I believe BMW builds all the X series and M series in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
Well I couldn't tell you how an X6 would drive without it, but I can say that I drove my 325xi Coupe which doesn't have adaptive drive and I noticed a huge difference! Now I would never buy another BMW without it. I think it is a matter of taste, I've noticed on here people either hate it or absolutely love it. Within the city I find the steering incredibly easy and on the motorwayit stiffens up and makes driving such a pleasure. Just be careful of the first turn you make in it after having driven a car without it. I almost hit a corner because I wasn't expecting the X6 to turn so much while having turned the steering wheel so little!

As for being built in the US, yep mine was definately built in the US. I believe BMW builds all the X series and M series in the US.
Dimitrik,no offense,but i think you are talking about active steering,adaptive drive is something else..in short with AD you buy 2-3 cars in one..it is expensive but worth!...

and yes X3,x5 and X6 are produced in Spartanburg, USA.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by test View Post
Hey can anyone tell me how important is adaptive drive on an X6, anyone drove one without back to back? Just wondering how much better handling do you get?

I would definitely get it with adaptive drive. You want to drive the vehicle the way it was intended to drive and handle. I have a 2009 X5 30i and it drives a lot more like a boxy SUV with body roll. Adaptive drive reduces all body roll and makes the X6 one mean handling machine.

Last edited by shenard; 11-09-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
damn I feel stupid, sorry about that, i misread the post and thought it was active steering.

Well as to adaptive drive, definately worth it for me, makes the X6 handle the way BMW intended it too!

Sorry again guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
damn I feel stupid, sorry about that, i misread the post and thought it was active steering.

Well as to adaptive drive, definately worth it for me, makes the X6 handle the way BMW intended it too!

Sorry again guys!
No problem! Say hi to Paris,i was there last year at this time..amazing town!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
strongdeo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSPORT

Hi guys, does the adaptive drive just really reduce the body roll and make the car drive more flatly.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

From BMW web site. Adaptive drive compensates for body roll and adjust each corner dynamically.

The bottom line is this. With adaptive drive a 5,000lb truck will feel like a BMW.

"
Adaptive Drive.

On every curve, on every road surface: Adaptive Drive counteracts the forces that cause body roll. Your BMW handles with outstanding sporting agility, while also ensuring a very comfortable journey for you and your passengers. Body roll is practically eliminated, and winding roads can be enjoyed with a maximum of stability and safety.

The proven effectiveness of BMW's innovative chassis control systems, Dynamic Drive and Variable Damper Control (VDC) work closely together to deliver an outstandingly smooth ride and enhanced agility. Sensors in your BMW permanently monitor vehicle speed, steering-wheel position and the pitch and yaw forces acting on the chassis. Using this data, the system precisely adjusts the stabilisers and the dampers, changing their settings quickly and accurately. This coordinated interaction of dampers and stabilisers counteracts the forces that cause the body to roll or sway. Your BMW hugs the road, delivers neutral self-steering behaviour, outstanding agility and shorter braking distances.
Furthermore, Adaptive Drive adjusts the suspension settings to suit the character of the road surface. Each axle has its own independent motor that can adjust the dampers on each individual wheel. When the road surface under one side of the vehicle differs in character from that on the other side - such as when driving on roads with gravel shoulders - Adaptive Drive instantly adjusts the suspension settings of the wheels on one side to practically eliminate any perceptible unevenness in the road. In addition, you can choose between a more comfortable default setting for the suspension, or a more sporting setting.
Such high-speed calculations and responses demand a high-performance electronics system. Adaptive Drive utilises FlexRay, a high-speed data transfer system that networks sensors, control units and stabilisers.
"
      11-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
From BMW web site. Adaptive drive compensates for body roll and adjust each corner dynamically.

The bottom line is this. With adaptive drive a 5,000lb truck will feel like a BMW.

"
Adaptive Drive.

On every curve, on every road surface: Adaptive Drive counteracts the forces that cause body roll. Your BMW handles with outstanding sporting agility, while also ensuring a very comfortable journey for you and your passengers. Body roll is practically eliminated, and winding roads can be enjoyed with a maximum of stability and safety.

The proven effectiveness of BMW's innovative chassis control systems, Dynamic Drive and Variable Damper Control (VDC) work closely together to deliver an outstandingly smooth ride and enhanced agility. Sensors in your BMW permanently monitor vehicle speed, steering-wheel position and the pitch and yaw forces acting on the chassis. Using this data, the system precisely adjusts the stabilisers and the dampers, changing their settings quickly and accurately. This coordinated interaction of dampers and stabilisers counteracts the forces that cause the body to roll or sway. Your BMW hugs the road, delivers neutral self-steering behaviour, outstanding agility and shorter braking distances.
Furthermore, Adaptive Drive adjusts the suspension settings to suit the character of the road surface. Each axle has its own independent motor that can adjust the dampers on each individual wheel. When the road surface under one side of the vehicle differs in character from that on the other side - such as when driving on roads with gravel shoulders - Adaptive Drive instantly adjusts the suspension settings of the wheels on one side to practically eliminate any perceptible unevenness in the road. In addition, you can choose between a more comfortable default setting for the suspension, or a more sporting setting.
Such high-speed calculations and responses demand a high-performance electronics system. Adaptive Drive utilises FlexRay, a high-speed data transfer system that networks sensors, control units and stabilisers.
"
Great post,thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by test View Post

X6 built at same plant as x5 in US at Spartanburg , South Carolina
      02-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
pedrobotero
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Some info about Adaptive Drive

Hi! I have just purchased a BMW X6 40d. And I was wondering how important Adaptative Drive in order to keep the car body-roll reduced to the maximum.

I have spent several hours surfing the internet and I have got the next conclusion: it is not necessary for X6. When people says X6 has a really good handling they may tend to believe it is because AD but I have come to some facts that support that X6 behaves really well with almost no body roll and with not AD:

First, there are countries like UK, AU and NZ where AD is not an option for all the engines, it is not available for all models, only for M or some 5.0, however there are amazing reviews of the car handling for those not using AD:

"It is on the road though where the X6 shines. Despite the sheer size and weight of the car, there is little body roll thanks to superb suspension, which not only offers excellent handling but, astonishingly, provides an exceptionally comfortable ride, cushioning the huge car over even the bumpiest of roads. "
http://fwd.channel5.com/cars/off-road/bmw-x6

or

" It’s very agile and can change direction with an almost complete lack of body roll, it tracks predictably through corners and has limits higher than feels natural in a machine of this size"
http://www.carandsuv.co.nz/articles/...2011-road-test

And finally the BMW link where you can review that AD is not available for the tested models in those countries:
http://bmw.co.nz/com/en/newvehicles/...AndOptions.pdf

So, according to this: AD could be something interesting if you can afford, but core functionality or sport soul of the car does not require it ... ...

This is my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
To compare regular to adaptive suspension in short:
Adaptive is more comfortable when you want it
It is more sporty when you need it
It corners flat like no other

It is just great!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobotero View Post
Hi! I have just purchased a BMW X6 40d. And I was wondering how important Adaptative Drive in order to keep the car body-roll reduced to the maximum.

I have spent several hours surfing the internet and I have got the next conclusion: it is not necessary for X6. When people says X6 has a really good handling they may tend to believe it is because AD but I have come to some facts that support that X6 behaves really well with almost no body roll and with not AD:

First, there are countries like UK, AU and NZ where AD is not an option for all the engines, it is not available for all models, only for M or some 5.0, however there are amazing reviews of the car handling for those not using AD:

"It is on the road though where the X6 shines. Despite the sheer size and weight of the car, there is little body roll thanks to superb suspension, which not only offers excellent handling but, astonishingly, provides an exceptionally comfortable ride, cushioning the huge car over even the bumpiest of roads. "
http://fwd.channel5.com/cars/off-road/bmw-x6

or

" It’s very agile and can change direction with an almost complete lack of body roll, it tracks predictably through corners and has limits higher than feels natural in a machine of this size"
http://www.carandsuv.co.nz/articles/...2011-road-test

And finally the BMW link where you can review that AD is not available for the tested models in those countries:
http://bmw.co.nz/com/en/newvehicles/...AndOptions.pdf

So, according to this: AD could be something interesting if you can afford, but core functionality or sport soul of the car does not require it ... ...

This is my opinion...
I would think about 50d if you have a lot of extras, as adaptive drive should be a no cost option for this car as well as many other options. In the end I ended up not taking it over other wanted options, now I am left wondering on what did I miss
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
Pex5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian View Post
I would think about 50d if you have a lot of extras, as adaptive drive should be a no cost option for this car as well as many other options. In the end I ended up not taking it over other wanted options, now I am left wondering on what did I miss
I am not a fan of adaptive drive. The ride is too hard all the time.

The parts catalog for the x6 lists only 2 shocks AD and non-AD. So the AD is the sport pack shock. Yes it does keep the car flat. No it is not more comfortable under an circumstances than a non AD car. I think people forget that these are BMWs. They don't turn into cadillacs without one option.... The base suspension is perfect on an X6. Now, what does bother me is that you can't get active steering without AD.

Our x has AD now and its too harsh for a family car. Our new X6 was ordered without it.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
^^ this does not make any sense
It is much softer than regular suspension when in comfort mode
It is also a lot stiffer in sport
I wonder if we have the same AD?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #16
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Have to change my previous post as I am dissapointed that 50d does not come with many options as standard (I missunderstood the official announcement for the car, as BMW stated these items as options-not clearly though). So standard car has NO HUD, leather dashboard (as on every video/photo of the car), navi etc. Loading it up with "essentials" makes it a very expensive car. It is def not a real ///M car which has a lot of standard equipment and is special in very many ways (different dials, not just the ///M logo, ///M seats, not just sport seats, quad pipes, not just dimmed 5.0i pipes etc). This hood bump (now available for all models with the sport package) is another cheap marketing trick with obviously no purpose. Having said all of that, all of those raving posts how the ///M does not make sense, etc... It is still far far away from a real ///M car, though 50d engine on paper (and probably in real life) is abs fabulous.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
udmx6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7, i3s

I'm going to buy 2013 X6 35i and was thinking I don't need AD. After I watch the video, I really want to get it with AD

Last edited by udmx6; 02-07-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex5 View Post
I am not a fan of adaptive drive. The ride is too hard all the time.
I suspect your AD is broken. Drive an AD X6 back to back with a non-AD X6 and you will notice the one WITH AD drives smoother. Unless for SOME reason the AD on the X5 is different (I doubt it). However, I will say that the used X6 I drove without AS (active steering) felt much better than the X5 without AS. This of course makes no sense since they should be basically the exact same. So back to maybe the cars are really different?

I suppose I would skip AD if I was purchasing the car for the long haul. I certainly would not want to deal with something going wrong out of warranty.
Appreciate 0