XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
X6 Rattles & iDrive Time?

I have a 2009 X6 50i with the sport package, active steering, and just about everything else. It's been 6 months and I finally got over 3500 miles. Besides needing a new water pump at 500 miles (there are four, apparently, and it takes 3+ weeks to get one from engine production in Germany), I have really only two complaints...

1. Rattles -- I live in the big city with predictably bad roads, and there's a constant rattle from the passenger seat and/or door every time I hit the slightest bump. Interstates are fine. I know the suspension is stiff, but does anyone else have problems like this with rattles in the X6? Will the dealership laugh ay me if I ask them to investigate?

2. iDrive -- I purposely got the 2009 because when I saw the new iDrive, I honestly thought it was too complex (multiple buttons around knob, too many menu options per screen, etc.). I know that's a personal judgment thing, to which I will be subject to harassment. But, this old iDrive is really SLOW to boot, particularly to the rear camera. Is there a way to speed it up? A software update or something?

Other than that, it's been a great car and fun to drive. I appreciate any input you can provide! Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

Congrats on your beautiful car!

To answer your questions ...

1. No, they will not laugh at you. Bring it in, they'll try to find it ... sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. The location of your rattle does not seem too difficult to diagnose.

2. As far as I know there is no way to make it faster (it couldn't hurt to ask the dealer to check it out if they are already going to be looking at the car to fix the rattle). This is a very common complaint from '08 and '09 owners. Fortunately, the new HD based system does not have this same problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post
I have a 2009 X6 50i with the sport package, active steering, and just about everything else. It's been 6 months and I finally got over 3500 miles. Besides needing a new water pump at 500 miles (there are four, apparently, and it takes 3+ weeks to get one from engine production in Germany), I have really only two complaints...

1. Rattles -- I live in the big city with predictably bad roads, and there's a constant rattle from the passenger seat and/or door every time I hit the slightest bump. Interstates are fine. I know the suspension is stiff, but does anyone else have problems like this with rattles in the X6? Will the dealership laugh ay me if I ask them to investigate?

2. iDrive -- I purposely got the 2009 because when I saw the new iDrive, I honestly thought it was too complex (multiple buttons around knob, too many menu options per screen, etc.). I know that's a personal judgment thing, to which I will be subject to harassment. But, this old iDrive is really SLOW to boot, particularly to the rear camera. Is there a way to speed it up? A software update or something?

Other than that, it's been a great car and fun to drive. I appreciate any input you can provide! Thanks.
1. No rattles here with almost 10,000 miles on the clock. You should have your dealer look at it

2. You should have gotten the 2010 with new iDrive because it is hard drive based and boots almost instantly and the 2008-09 are notoriously slow to boot and there is no way to speed it up becauase it takes aproximately 25-30 seconds to boot from when the doors are unlocked. The only way to speed it up is to do what I try and do most of the time and unlock your doors from your key fob as you are walking up to your X6 instead of using comfort access as this will take 10-15 seconds off the boot time depending on how far away you are when you press unlock.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
Exact same issues.

1. I am usually by myself and my passengar seat also rattles - good to know I am not alone. I will get it serviced at my first visit.

2. As for the boot issue, I think we have to live with it. It does boot faster if you don't have the Navigation CD in but that is a pain.
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post
Exact same issues.

1. I am usually by myself and my passengar seat also rattles - good to know I am not alone. I will get it serviced at my first visit.
My rattles as well but I diagnosed it to be the front passenger's seat belt buckle slapping the door frame. This only happens when I am alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Camera boots slow, but PDC chime is instant so you can still hear warning signal before camera comes on.

The other option is to open car with fob from afar so computer has more time to boot.

My passenger seat rattles too. I believe it is the plastic moldings around the lower seat. If I press down on the middle of the seat once the rattles go away even if I don't keep pressing. Also no rattles when someone is sitting in seat.

If you whack the seat side, you can isolate the noise to the plastic molding.
      10-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I had slight rattle with glove compartment, I hate going to dealer for noise issues usually the noise never happens when they have it. For the glove compartment I just used two little felt buttons like you use so things don't mark wood furniture. They made it tight enough to stop noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
pha_roah
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i

This is a funny one, when I drive I will notice some rattling, when my wife drives and I am in the passnegar seat I don't hear any rattling.

I think there are little antennas for the comfort access package, these antennas are very flexible and have a little bit of a rattle. I could be wrong, but, if you open the trunk of the car, and open the driver side compartment (where the first aid kit is located), you will notice the little antenna like thingy and notice the sound that it makes when you shake it, I hear similar sounds from some types of bumps.

In the end, the run flat tires along with the hard suspension this car has is destined to cause some rattling of anything that is loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I'm having a problem with a rattle/squeak coming from the right rear shade. In fact it is with the dealer for the 4th time for the same noise! It occurs over fairly smooth, usually concrete, road surfaces, and can sound like a cricket chirping from the back seat! It drives me crazy! Anybody else have this?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Thanks

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I made an appointment with the dealer for a rattle check and a SW update. I'm also going to have them check the active steering, as I think it's off, which probably just requires a re-alignment (too many city potholes). Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i

I have the same problem as above. There is a slight rattling (with bumps) coming from the passenger seat that does not occur with a passenger. I have BMW take off the seat and retighten it with slight improvement. There may also be a rattle with the glove compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i

Addendum

I think there are multiple sources of rattling. Eliminated one of them by having dealer retighten passenger seat. Also have noticed another rattle (again not present with passenger). I snapped the passenger selt belt (seat is empty) and the rattle disappeared. I think it may involve the passenger seatbelt harness apparatus. I am going to have dealer check this out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
My passenger seat (Comfort seat) rattles like crazy. BMW are replacing the plastic covers on the back of the seat today, so hopefully that'll solve it.

iDrive's boot time is infuriating. It was just as bad on my 2007 335 though. On my '09 X6 it's worse, as the radio and steering wheel buttons don't respond (e.g. no ability to control volume) until boot completes.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
S2bear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 40D

My X6 is six weeks old and I have complained to the dealer many times about the passenger door rattling - they ordered a replacement interior door card which arrived today. The driver side door has also now developed the same rattle and the center dashboard also has an intermittent rattle - altogether not good - you can stop the door rattle if you put weight on the armrest. Dealer is good and BMW got involved and have loaned me an X6M until my 35D is repaired. Driving home in the 'M' today and guess what, both doors have the same rattle as mine ! some quality control issues I think.
S
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

The glove box mechanism may be a source of rattles. Listen to it as it opens, mine clicks and rattles an the doors move. Also, if you have the sport seats with the thigh extension check that device.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

Obviously, this seems to be a common problem. I have 2010 50i and I noticed rattle noises coming from the passenger side since the first day, however, I couldn't tell exactly where is it coming from. To be exact, it sounded like two different rattle noises. I suspected it's either the center console or the passenger seat. When I have someone sitting on the passenger seat, the rattling disappears. So apparently it's someting loose within the seat. I gonna have the dealer check it on my next visit. What's sad is that such quality issues shouldn't be so apparent in such premium vehicles, especially from BMW.

Regarding the iDrive, I don't wanna sound discouraging regarding your choice, but the new generation system is miles ahead of the previous one in terms of functionality, speed and ease of use. Even the camera has higher resolution campare to the previous one. I used both and I can tell difference. I'm not sure if there's a way to enhance the speed, unless they have an improved software version that can fix that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:39 AM   #17
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Not enuf Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post

They must be selling a lot of x 6's to be short of water pumps!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
S2bear
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
Obviously, this seems to be a common problem. I have 2010 50i and I noticed rattle noises coming from the passenger side since the first day, however, I couldn't tell exactly where is it coming from. To be exact, it sounded like two different rattle noises. I suspected it's either the center console or the passenger seat. When I have someone sitting on the passenger seat, the rattling disappears. So apparently it's someting loose within the seat. I gonna have the dealer check it on my next visit. What's sad is that such quality issues shouldn't be so apparent in such premium vehicles, especially from BMW.

Regarding the iDrive, I don't wanna sound discouraging regarding your choice, but the new generation system is miles ahead of the previous one in terms of functionality, speed and ease of use. Even the camera has higher resolution campare to the previous one. I used both and I can tell difference. I'm not sure if there's a way to enhance the speed, unless they have an improved software version that can fix that.
Thanks - I hear you on the iDrive, my loaner has the new one, much better! The rattle is definitely the lower passenger door panel, if the passenger leans on the armrest, the rattle stops, same deal with the driver door now too - we fixed the glove box rattle already with some foam. just got to fix the centre dashboard now and tighten the driver seat trim.... not exactly your average 80k automobile experience !
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

True Quality is hard to find.

Any quality product is more than the sum of its parts.
So what if all the component parts comes from the fatherland,
The people who assembles the component parts have to care about the "ultimate" quality of their work.
I'm not in the auto business, I don't know if each car has one crew who puts the entire car together, start to finish, so each car can be traced back to a crew, or it's all assembly line workstations where people repeat the same task over & over again like Henry Ford pioneered 100+ yrs. ago.
I think i prefer the former so that future warranty issues that occur can be traced back to a crew & a part. Probably costs the maker more money, but each crew can have a sense of pride & responsibility for a good job done well.
Crews that have the cars w/ the least assembly/manufacturing issues can get rewards/bonuses annually.
[I]The squeeks & rattles should not be in a vehicle costing this kind of money, & labelled "the ultimate driving machine".
Unless they warn buyers that,
" Squeeks & Rattles are Engineered In, As Part of the Ultimate Driving Experience"
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
S2bear
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE: the rattling interior passenger door card was replaced with a new one and after a couple of days, the same rattle has returned (the door card was on back order with BMW so I'm guessing they're in demand). Again, the dealer is attentive and has offered me a loaner but says this could take up to two weeks to sort the issue. I've now been back to the dealer 6 times which is around 420 miles + the extra 70 if I return again tomorrow, not to mention the time off work. I AM GETTING SO HACKED OFF WITH THIS CAR!!! The reason you buy a new car and even more so a BMW, is so you don't have to deal with problems such as this. I give up...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
JX6M
Rep
Drives: X

I recently had a annoying rattle/knock in my door right around the speaker. Turns out it was the crossover for the sound system hanging loose. BMW attaches it to the door with double sided tape (fail). Just letting everyone know if they have a similar rattle.

Also has anyone experienced a rattle in the rear ? Sounds like mine is sometimes coming from the luggage compartment cover.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #22
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I too suffer from the rattling passenger seat when no one is sitting next to me. I took it to the dealer and I drove him around while he was sitting in the back. He noticed it and put in a request to Munich concerning this problem. After a week I popped back in and he told me this problem seems to be hitting a lot of X6s and they think it is a manufacturing issue of the comfort seats. He offered to replace the whole seat for me which I haven't done yet since he said if it is manufacturing then until it gets solved the new will probably do the same.

I'm waiting to see if this will become a big enough issue for BMW to address.

D
Appreciate 0