XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

X5M evaporator core

Multiple problems:

I received the level control system malfunction warning on iDrive. Took the vehicle to BMW dealership. They also noticed a leaking vacuum pump and as per the service advisor the evaporator core on E70 x5 is also a known issue. BMW later have announced a new part . The cost of fixing evaporator core itself is 4400$ the cost of vacuum pump 2900$ and rear air shocks for 2000$.

I know air shocks and vacuum pumps are a common failure but has anyone else faced the evaporator core issue
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Go to an Indy shop ...

When I replaced my vacuum pump it cost me $200 in parts and less than an hour of work ... others have replaced airbags cheap as well

I need to open a shop so I can charge these kinds or prices for such basic work
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
Go to an Indy shop ...

When I replaced my vacuum pump it cost me $200 in parts and less than an hour of work ... others have replaced airbags cheap as well

I need to open a shop so I can charge these kinds or prices for such basic work
Yeah I know , indie cost a lot lesser than dealership, my question was more about the failure of the evaporator core. Has anyone else experienced the same issue with x5m or BMW x5
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Yeah I know , indie cost a lot lesser than dealership, my question was more about the failure of the evaporator core. Has anyone else experienced the same issue with x5m or BMW x5
I've heard of people having leaks by the expansion valve or their expansion valve not operating correctly. Evaporator core failure itself is not common.
What issues are you having with the A/C? poor cooling at idle....poor cooling overall or no cooling? Did they say the system has a leak?

More than likely vacuum pump is working properly though the seal that's between that an the engine is failing. Unless you have a symptom of poor brake assist. The quote is high for the vacuum pump because the BMW techs are instructed to remove turbos and other items which is not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I've heard of people having leaks by the expansion valve or their expansion valve not operating correctly. Evaporator core failure itself is not common.
What issues are you having with the A/C? poor cooling at idle....poor cooling overall or no cooling? Did they say the system has a leak?

More than likely vacuum pump is working properly though the seal that's between that an the engine is failing. Unless you have a symptom of poor brake assist. The quote is high for the vacuum pump because the BMW techs are instructed to remove turbos and other items which is not necessary.
The cooling was absolutely fine, but they were finding the leaking freon gas through AC vent, as my car is covered by a warranty so service advisor has changed the evaporator. Yes, you are right that BMW techs are asked to remove turbos to get access to vacuum pump. I have seen DIY in forum where a guy changed it on his x6m.

Vacuum pump and evaporator is taken
care by warranty. Now I am waiting on rear air shocks. The car is sagging on the rear but as soon as the air compressor is on , it sits fine. They couldn’t reproduce the air shock issue in front of warranty inspector. Hopefully they will be able to demonstrate the issue now. How long it takes the car to sag completely, if the car is not started ? Any ideas?? How to reproduce the sagging rear issue
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Pretty common to have leaking evaporators if you live in a high humidity region. I’ve had it replaced in my E70 X5 when the car was less than 4 yrs old. If there is a leak, more often than not, the air from AC vents will smell like used bandaids, especially on a cold start. The replacement requires taking the entire dash off, about 20 hrs of labor.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Pretty common to have leaking evaporators if you live in a high humidity region. I’ve had it replaced in my E70 X5 when the car was less than 4 yrs old. If there is a leak, more often than not, the air from AC vents will smell like used bandaids, especially on a cold start. The replacement requires taking the entire dash off, about 20 hrs of labor.
Yes, you are right, as you can see in the pics they have taken off the entire dash, It was kinda heartbreaking to see my X5m in this shape
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Make sure the dealership put everything back together as it was - very often, they miss stuff (connecting lights, new creaks & rattles, etc). In my case they did not reconnect the temperature sensor and one footwell light, and I had to go back.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Make sure the dealership put everything back together as it was - very often, they miss stuff (connecting lights, new creaks & rattles, etc). In my case they did not reconnect the temperature sensor and one footwell light, and I had to go back.
I am afraid they might miss something or create new rattling. Were you not seeing the temperature gauge functional
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

It was the Evap temp sensor, so AC was never cold
Appreciate 0