E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ongoing problems with an 2008 BMW 320i

02-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
amilo123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318i

Ongoing problems with an 2008 BMW 320i

Hello,

I just want to share the technical problems I had with my 2008 BMW 320i, n43 engine with 100 000 km on the clock. The reason for this is that I did not expect a premium car such as BMW would have this many problems, less than a year after the extend warranty expired.

I wrote about the hole thing to BMW, so I think that the best way to tell my story is by ataching the complaint letter:

"Dear Sir/Madame,

I am writing to you regarding an ongoing problem with one of your cars (VIN: VG35101). Normally I wouldn’t have raised this issue with you, but I feel that your cars suffer from a low level of reliability, far lower that what I would expect from a premium brand like BMW. This is the reason why I want to bring to your attention the problems I had with my 2008 BMW 320i. A car bought in 19th of December 2007 with BMW Service Inclusive Ultimate for a period of 4 years. Because of this extended warranty, the car received regular oil changes, only in the BMW dealer network.

The problems started in late November 2012. I was driving to Craiova, Romania when suddenly the check engine light came on yellow and the car stopped. Fortunately, I was close to one of your dealers, in Craiova, namely MHS Motors. I left the car there and returned the following morning to take it in for testing. They told me they had found a strong smell of gasoline in the oil and a low oil pressure fault. They then checked the injectors and found that they were injecting too much gasoline at idle. They said all of then needed replacing. I was shocked. I wasn’t expecting a car like this to have such a major problem at less than 100 000 km. They also said that the car loses oil near the gearbox.

Having no other choice, I paid for the replacement of the injectors, engine oil and an O-ring from the gearbox (bill1.pdf attached). They also said that I should change the oil 1000km later, in order to clear all the gasoline from the oil, which I did in 21.12.2012. This is the only time oil has been changed outside of the BMW network. Because of the holidays I couldn’t find any dealer who could replace the oil. Nevertheless I put BMW LongLife-04 in an authorized BMW service. Attached is the bill from them (bill2.pdf).

During the 1000km (between changing the injectors and the recommended oil change), the low oil pressure indicator came up once at idle. I was told I should expect this to happen, and haven’t given it too much thought.

On 27th of December 2012, the low oil pressure light came up again, also at idle (note: the car had new oil, just 500km from the last oil change). The following day I went to Automobile Bavaria in Bucharest, Romania and explained to them the whole situation. They took the car in and after a day of diagnostics they came to the conclusion that they had no idea what was the problem with the car. They manually checked oil pressure and it was ok. The error code that shown up was 30C1 DME: Engine-oil pressure control, static. They instead decided to raise the idle speed, and said that it should solve the problem. I am attaching the operations report from them and their bill (bill3.pdf).

On the 21st of January 2013, I went again to the dealer because of a burning oil smell inside the cabin. They came to the conclusion that there were multiple gaskets leaking oil, and I should change them, and so I did. Again wasn’t expecting this problem from a 100 000 km “premium” car... Attached is the bill I received from Automobile Bavaria Bucharest, Romania, where I changed all the affected gaskets (bill4.pdf).

Today, 12th of February 2013, the low oil pressure light came on again. Also only at idle, also not reappearing after the engine was shut off and restarted.

Now, given the fact that no one knows what is wrong with the car, I have no idea what to do next with the low oil pressure problem, and so I am expecting a response from you on how I should proceed.

I can’t stress enough how disappointed I am in the reliability of an otherwise great car...

Yours faithfully,
Răzvan Mitre"

Last edited by amilo123; 02-14-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650I Coupe Imola Red

Sorry for you troubles, Figures after the extended warranty expires....lots of curious things and doesn't seem too be too many knowledgeable service centers there, after gasoline mixed with oil, they told you to flush the oil 1000km later? and I would be certain after have fuel in the oil the oil pressure sending unit would be shot. I think just disconnecting would let them know if was the sensor, if the warning is still there. They should have pressure tested to see if your o -rings were leaking or valve guides were leaking. Also checked your oil pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
amilo123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanye08 View Post
Sorry for you troubles, Figures after the extended warranty expires....lots of curious things and doesn't seem too be too many knowledgeable service centers there, after gasoline mixed with oil, they told you to flush the oil 1000km later? and I would be certain after have fuel in the oil the oil pressure sending unit would be shot. I think just disconnecting would let them know if was the sensor, if the warning is still there. They should have pressure tested to see if your o -rings were leaking or valve guides were leaking. Also checked your oil pump.

The thing is I can't seem to figure out a pattern for when the warrning appears. All I know it's that it only shows up at idle, when the engine is hot, and after a longer period of driving. Usually not in the city. And usually at 2000-3000km intervals. If the warrning is there, and I shut off the engine, end than restart it, it dissapears.

Also the warrning was appearing well before the injector problem, they might be linked...

In December they manually checked the pressure, at the oil filter, and everything was ok. They said that they don't know waht the problem is. And if it persists I should change the electro-valve, after the oil filter (the one that controls the oil pressure). But they said it's not a guarantee that it will fix the problem....

Last edited by amilo123; 02-14-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650I Coupe Imola Red

I guess starting with that oil pressure valve makes the most sense.. could be faulty after gasoline was mixed in.. the warnings are too random
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
lucius.pl
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo123 View Post
Hello,

I just want to share the technical problems I had with my 2008 BMW 320i, n43 engine with 100 000 km on the clock. The reason for this is that I did not expect a premium car such as BMW would have this many problems, less than a year after the extend warranty expired.
Hi Răzvan

I'm struggling with exactly the same problem like you the low oil pressure which appears randomly in N43 engine but in the 116i model. Hopefully that your problem has been already fixed and you can share the solution.
Thanks in advance for help.

Regards,
lucius.pl
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
amilo123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius.pl View Post
Hi Răzvan

I'm struggling with exactly the same problem like you the low oil pressure which appears randomly in N43 engine but in the 116i model. Hopefully that your problem has been already fixed and you can share the solution.
Thanks in advance for help.

Regards,
lucius.pl

Hello,

I changed the oil preassure valve. I could give you the code if you want.

The problem never appeared again after that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
lucius.pl
Registered
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

I changed the oil preassure valve. I could give you the code if you want.

The problem never appeared again after that.
Thank you for prompt reply.
Yes. Please provide the code.

Regards,
lucius.pl
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
amilo123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for prompt reply.
Yes. Please provide the code.

Regards,
lucius.pl
Here you go: 11 41 7 584 990
It was 100 euro + 30 euro labour
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
lucius.pl
Registered
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Here you go: 11 41 7 584 990
It was 100 euro + 30 euro labour
Thank you.
One more question. Who recommended this part to replace? The BMW after your complaint letter? Just curious your story.

Regards,
lucius.pl
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
amilo123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.
One more question. Who recommended this part to replace? The BMW after your complaint letter? Just curious your story.

Regards,
lucius.pl

BMW AG never replied. Even though I insisted.

My BMW dealer recommended this. They said it wasn't "in the books", it was from they're own experience. It helped that I went to the biggest dealer in Romania, otherwise it might have ended up costing much more and replacing many more parts.

But before this recommendation they first checked the oil level manualy, they drained the engine, and measured the oil quantity. Then they manualy checked the oil preassure. But everything was ok. The computer wasn't telling them anything. They first raised the idle speed to about 850rpm, but the problem persisted after 1 month. They then made the above checks again and finally recommended this fix. I was pretty nervous then, I was afraid that it was the oil pump, which is very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 02:27 AM   #11
EMI
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Hello, I have the same problem with red light error on the tester oil engine pressure 30c1
If exchange 11 41 7 584 9900 solve the problem ??
My car 318i E90 LCI...I expect an answer if someone something has happened.
The red light lights up randomly, if I stop and restart the engine LIGHT DISAPPEARING.
@amilo123 the same problem happened and he.
It may be the same problem and by changing to 11 41 7 584 990 to solve the problem ?? thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:53 AM   #12
amilo123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilian View Post
Hello, I have the same problem with red light error on the tester oil engine pressure 30c1
If exchange 11 41 7 584 9900 solve the problem ??
My car 318i E90 LCI...I expect an answer if someone something has happened.
The red light lights up randomly, if I stop and restart the engine LIGHT DISAPPEARING.
@amilo123 the same problem happened and he.
It may be the same problem and by changing to 11 41 7 584 990 to solve the problem ?? thank you
You could start there, it's cheap
Appreciate 0