XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-03-2023, 03:58 AM   #1
tol4o
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6-speed

2011 E70 X5 35d broken timing chain at 130k miles! Engine rebuild video

2011 BMW X5 xdrive 35d M57N2 engine. I am the original owner, the SUV was purchased brand new on custom order and picked up from BMW dealer in Massachusetts.

The X5 was strictly maintained thru the years. I did a 'brake in' oil change at 3k miles, then every 7-8k miles. Sadly right at 130k miles, the lower timing chain broke without any previous symptoms and left us stranded on the highway. The broken chain was a big surprise to happen at this mileage, but I give it to the frequent short trips thru the years, which I believe added up extra wear and tear on the timing chain components.

I decided to fix the engine and keep the vehicle. Additional maintenance to ZF transmission, differentials and transfer case has also been done.

Great job of CRANK mechanic to bring it back to life, now the engine works much quieter and smoother than before, even compared to when it was brand new.

If you are wondering about the vehicle EU plate and location, we relocated back to Europe few years ago and brought the X5 with us

Here is the engine rebuild video:

Appreciate 0