XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZHP 6sp + 2012 X5m

Can I remove / delete the rear center console mounted Dvd System and monitor?

I have heard many people complain about the design of the e70 center mounted dvd screen design and how it gets in the way. Me included. Is there a way to remove the video screen and replace where the screen was so it looks like a normal non-dvd center console without it where you'd never know it's missing? This is for a 2012 x5m. What parts would I need to replace it with? Same question regarding the dvd player itself. Can I replace it with simple storage like non-dvd player versions of this e70 model? Mine looks like this photo attached. Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
hectorbvo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, E70

Did you get a chance to remove the screen? I will be doing the same thing soon. I bought the trim P/N 51166954955 (used on ebay for about $22). Still have to try the disassembly. Let me know if you did it and if it was easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
I have heard many people complain about the design of the e70 center mounted dvd screen design and how it gets in the way. Me included. Is there a way to remove the video screen and replace where the screen was so it looks like a normal non-dvd center console without it where you'd never know it's missing? This is for a 2012 x5m. What parts would I need to replace it with? Same question regarding the dvd player itself. Can I replace it with simple storage like non-dvd player versions of this e70 model? Mine looks like this photo attached. Thanks in advance for any help!
I have the same Rear DVD/Screen and recently had to remove my center console to replace the accordion slider over the cup holder (yes - the whole damn console for just that)!! You're going to have to pretty much disassemble the entire console to get it off (screen) and unplugged and I can tell you it is quite daunting as there are a ton of screws and clips in this over-engineered German console. Keep track of your screws and where they went as there are many different sizes and it took me a while to figure out which one's went where when reassembling. Here's a video I watched to get a good overview (it doesn't have the rear DVD - but same concept). The video is not in English, but does a good thorough job of showing the entire console being disassembled. Also, the plastic trim pieces around the screen will need to be removed to get to the screws that hold it down and they are pretty easy and just snap together like a clam shell, but take your time so you don't break anything.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZHP 6sp + 2012 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorbvo View Post
Did you get a chance to remove the screen? I will be doing the same thing soon. I bought the trim P/N 51166954955 (used on ebay for about $22). Still have to try the disassembly. Let me know if you did it and if it was easy.
I did not do it. I was thinking about it for a vehicle I almost bought that had it in the back. I ended up buying a different x5m. While researching it though, I did find out from bmw parts department that it is plug and play regarding the trim, simply inserting the piece once you get all disconnected. Same with the storage area. They gave me some diagrams. Unfortunately I don't have them anymore. They weren't super helpful anyhow. Good luck with yours! I'm sure it will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
It's do-able. Just need the top trim piece and the empty cubby on the bottom. You do have to dissemble the center console. I need to do this still

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:24 PM   #6
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Exclamation Have you managed to remove the rear tv screen?

Have you managed to remove the rear tv screen?
I am stuck on this point.
If you could please tell me how to separate the TV base it would be helpful.
I have trim tools but I do not know where to start prying the TV base.
If you have photos that would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrum View Post
Have you managed to remove the rear tv screen?
I am stuck on this point.
If you could please tell me how to separate the TV base it would be helpful.
I have trim tools but I do not know where to start prying the TV base.
If you have photos that would be awesome!
I was able to remove it successfully. Which part are you stuck on? If you havent started at all, think very hard before attempting to remove this. I really wanted it gone, so I ended up doing it but it was at least 3 hours maybe more since I had no idea what I was doing.

See post#15 in one of my older threads: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1798770

I will say, this is a VERY involved removal. Its all basic hand tools, it just takes forever. You will lose your patience guaranteed. I used a couple youtube videos to guide me. You will have to remove the side covers on both sides, sliding them forward to unclip. Getting them back in was a nightmare since the seats are so close to them. If I had to do this all over, I would remove the seats completely. You are basically taking out the entire center console assembly.

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #8
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Wow that was fast my friend.
I have the patience of a camel, but not much tolerance on my mistakes. ))

No worries, I used up 3 hours of this afternoon to unscrew the console.
I only want help with the RSE rear seat entertainment display.
I just want to know how to pry it open like a clam shell without breaking it or scratching it.
What is the correct procedure (use the numbers below if needed)?

The goal is to get to the 2x screws at the base of the display, which belong to the armrest compartment so I can remove it.

Any advise is GREATLY appreciated.

BTW... reading your post - exactly what I did.. repainted my panels yesterday. Gotta unscrew everything in the console now to be able to replace the cupholder sliding blind/cover. That's my ultimate goal, and the RSE display has stalled my progress.

Last edited by conandrum; 07-02-2023 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #9
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lightbulb I think I found the correct procedure

I think I found the correct procedure in this manual attached as a pdf.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SM_20 (2).pdf (1.68 MB, 211 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #10
Daytonawim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 LCI 3.5i 2012

Thanks thats a cool PDF !
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #11
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Smile Job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrum View Post
I think I found the correct procedure in this manual attached as a pdf.
Yes, this is the right information!
The key to this job is an old credit card or other loyalty card you may have in your wallet. The pdf guide mentions a special tool sold by BMW, which is essentially a plastic card.
Do not use metallic tools like screwdrivers or any thick plastic trim tools for this job, otherwise you will regret scratching or marring your monitor's finish.

As the guide states, you start with the smallest pieces of the monitor's base. I will use the diagram in my previous post as a reference... see no.7. These are like the shoulders of the monitor and they are NOT hard plastic... they are soft and flexible and rubber like.
So you carefully use the plastic card from their side, where they touch the hard plastic body. Get the card under the soft rubber and pop it out. So easy but do not be violent or in a rush!
Then stick the credit card between the 2 remaining pieces (no.6) of the base and pry them apart.
In my experience, the piece facing the front of the car popped out first. That was the bit which was covering all the screws for the monitor, console compartment and the console wooden trim.

That's all I needed!
I proceeded to remove trim pieces, console compartment, idrive controls, plastic trim covers (repainted a few days ago), console cage, and finally my cup-holder unit to which I performed a sliding cover replacement.
I put everything back together and now the console looks factory new!

Job well done.
Appreciate 0