XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #23
TeamErc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4, 2018 X35d

Garage List
Update, mine broke three times. After Third time, and a botched cam bolt recal attempt, I traded in for a new 2015 x5. However, every time my hatch would act up on my 2011, the dealer would seem to just hunt and peck finding the problem...new right strut, new left strut, new module, ummmm lets recode again. Then they would call and say, well working now come pick up. Twice I went to pick up after fixed and tested to find not working again before I left the dealer. Last time they had my truck for over a week. They removed the coding but still didn't fix so don't believe its the coding. Just one of those bugs I don't think they were ever going to find. I will give a call out though as my truck had over 70k miles and the dealer was still covering under warranty as they new it has been a long standing problem. Next guy should just put manual struts on it and forget about the power hatch.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I've had similar issues on my '12 X5M. On a few occasions, it stopped opening mid way up. The button on the remote was also sketchy...either not opening at all, or opening a foot or two, then stopping.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that since I've gotten a new battery, the issues have gone away. No idea if that had anything at all to do with it...it's either a huge coincidence, or a fix. Either way, all good now.

No doubt these babies are finicky!
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
'12 X5 M - Carbon blk, Cinnamon interior <retired>
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #25
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Mine does the same thing. I don't bother opening it with the key fob. I sometimes cannot close it using the red button when it's open, and sometimes it doesn't want to open when I hit the button by the license plate.

Inside though, usually always works. I essentially have a few choices to open and close the thing, and one of them always works!
Same exact thing with mine
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESONofSAM View Post
Same exact thing with mine
New thing that annoys me: I'll be waiting the car and my wife will pop in the shop to get something. When I see her come out, I'll hit the button on the dashboard to open the rear hatch. But when she tries to close the hatch using the red button, it won't do anything. She'll have to manually force the hatch closed, and it just doesn't make a pleasant noise. Yesterday, I was trying to figure out what in the Dickens was going on. One trick that seemed to work was when the rear hatch refuses to close using the red button, I would pop down the tailgate and put it back up again, and only THEN press the red button. And that seemed to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
Maplesig
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 50i

Similar issues with my 2013 X5 50i. Hatch would only open a few inches then close. I grabbed the hatch when it opened and hit the open button again and it opened all the way. I then disconnected the battery and it seems to be working fine again???
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #28
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I had this on my Feb2013 build X5 3.5. Three trips to the dealer and it was finally fixed. Inapologize bc I don't know what they did so this post is lame, but a competant dealer should be able to fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #29
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
I had this on my Feb2013 build X5 3.5. Three trips to the dealer and it was finally fixed. Inapologize bc I don't know what they did so this post is lame, but a competant dealer should be able to fix.
It should be on your service paperwork
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #30
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
It should be on your service paperwork
True, but I sold it in Dec2015 and gave the new owner all the records (a good reason to keep copies). I have an appt. on Tuesday, I'll ask my service guy if he can pull up what the fix was...he's the one that got if fixed....
      04-13-2017, 02:35 AM   #31
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Are these operated by electric motors or hydraulics? The GF's 08 535xiT operated by hydraulics and completely had a mind of it own...sometimes it'd open, sometimes it'd close, sometimes it'd open 3/4 the way and make me open the rest manually, sometimes it wouldn't close unless I pushed it downwards and 1/4 of the way and then hitting the button would allow it to close the rest of the way on its own.

The solution was to top off and bleed the hydraulics system. Even though I saw no leakage in the hatch area, it was down on fluid...not enough fluid caused it to suck in air bubbles, hence ALL of it's erratic operations. Haven't had a single problem since with it.

If it's electronic, then I'm at a loss...sorry and hopefully you guys figure it out. Maybe reset the iDrive and/or adjust open/close distance settings to see if changes will somehow cause the system to force new things to happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #32
argento
Captain
Rep

Sorry for the slow reply. Here's what I found out, FWIW. Service Manager explained to me that this is pretty bad design and they get this problem all the time (surprise). He explained the two most occurring causes.

Most of the time it's the sensor in the spindle motors. Both sides must work in synchronicity, otherwise the tailgate stops. So if one spindle motor builds any friction, then they get out of synch and they are programmed to stop. The fix, for them, is to replace the spindle motor(s) (see realoem/x5/body/trunklid/item4 with auto trunklid feature) until it works properly. I'd guess they'd have to replace in unison to guarantee they work in synch. It's possible for me that they only replaced one and then I had the problem again shortly after.

The second problem is a module in the software loop. This module is located on the bottom right of the trunklid. Apparently it can get damp and fail.

Jeremy
      05-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #33
smolieri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I have had this issue on my '10 X5M. fob and inside button will only disengage the hatch. From there on, its all manual. Opening and closing it. When i have it open and try to press the button to close it, i hear a "ding" sound from inside the beast. I have not had the time to bring it by to checked out. Several times, I have had the warning sign inside telling that it was not completely closed even though it was.
I wish there was a way to troubleshoot it so i can have an idea of what is wrong.
Any insight would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #34
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

As convenient as the power hatch can be, I miss the one in my E53 better...opened and closed manually much faster. I'd love to be able to convert to a gas shock and even see if there's a way to adjust the mounting points to allow it to open further as I've literally got a scar on my LH side of my head from hitting the corner...the downsides of being 6'4" but driving a lowered X5M :-/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #35
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

^ holy heck!
That's a nasty one. When you say "open further", are you talking past its highest point because there is a setting to allow it to adjust open height. Just wanted to make sure that setting was known.
Put some Neosporin on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #36
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, it knocked me onto my butt after it happened. The hatch is set to its most open position but it's still not enough for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:06 AM   #37
Charlieborg
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Sorry for the slow reply. Here's what I found out, FWIW. Service Manager explained to me that this is pretty bad design and they get this problem all the time (surprise). He explained the two most occurring causes.

Most of the time it's the sensor in the spindle motors. Both sides must work in synchronicity, otherwise the tailgate stops. So if one spindle motor builds any friction, then they get out of synch and they are programmed to stop. The fix, for them, is to replace the spindle motor(s) (see realoem/x5/body/trunklid/item4 with auto trunklid feature) until it works properly. I'd guess they'd have to replace in unison to guarantee they work in synch. It's possible for me that they only replaced one and then I had the problem again shortly after.

The second problem is a module in the software loop. This module is located on the bottom right of the trunklid. Apparently it can get damp and fail.

Jeremy
I searched for the realoem/x5/body/trunklid/item4 with auto trunklid feature. Does anyone have a link for that?
Appreciate 0