XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

12-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #1
asma123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 5G 4Runner, 9G Civic

Same motor as 335i?

Hey all, I have a knocking motor in my x6 and I'm wondering if the 335i motor is exactly the same and just a simple swap same internals. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

The block itself should be completely the same, yes. My GF's 08 535xiT with the N54 started exhibiting knock, I changed the oil and it got better but never went away...ultimately the engine seized. After having taken apart the engine, it appears that injector 1 failed, flooding the engine to the point where eventually it hydrolocked itself. I got the engine from a 335i, which in my situation had a different oil pan (RWD vs AWD), AC compressor was clocked slightly different as well as it's fluid connections, and the wiring harness itself was different. I bought two Harbor Freight engine stands, put both on stands side by side and started comparing from there...but as I said, block to block, it was exactly the same connections, just a few different routings here and there. N54 only had one revisional change where it went from being an open water jacket to a closed water jacket under the heads, but you'd never know looking at it from the exterior and that doesn't affect swapability.

I had a HUGE and 1.5 month drug out shitshow of buying a used engine from www.car-part.com (not their fault) and a junkyard called G&N Auto Salvage (100% their fault, you can see my feedback on their Facebook page and just about anywhere I could leave an online review) where said junkyard lied about the mileage of the $1900 shipped engine had a claimed 70k mileage, but after further research actually had 167k. Verify via VIN, junkyard car pics, etc before purchasing an engine. Fortunately for me I was able to find a totaled car locally on the PNW BMW N54 Facebook page and got another engine for $2k w/ a confirmed 72k and the cars been back on the road w/o issue for over a month now.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
joebrowntech
Banned
India
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

The 335i motor may not be exactly the same, but I would rather suggest you to consult the user manual of the vehicle. It contains all the desired information on the motors. And suppose if you lost or misplaced the user manual, you could get a copy of it for free on manuls.co.
https://manuals.co/
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

The owners manual is useless in this situation and this question has been answered already.
Appreciate 0