XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
bf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

Need help fining coolent leak

So for about every 2 gas refills im getting a low coolent light, takes about half a gallon to get it back up to the max coolent level.

I can smell the antifreeze, but cant see where its leaking from. Car has about 120,000k on it. and had is a 3.0i

when its low i can open the reservoir and get a psht sound but no coolant coming out like i'd expect with a hot/running engine. Are there any areas where the coolant would leak, but i'd not see it dripping? Ive had some cars where it would leak down from the water pump and evaporate on the engine leaving no water trail.

My first thoughts was well maybe the thermostat was stuck causing the water to boil out somewhere. but when i removed the cap and nothing came out so its not boiling and its not overheating. I do see a bit of stain around the cap from coolant though.

I've only had the car for 30 days, and im a bit worried now that i just dropped 10k on a x5 with a blown head gasket.

I called the dealership and they said to figure its probably a bad waterpump, and that i should expect to pay about 1500 to replace the WP and Thermostat at the same time, but i'd have to go pay them 140 dollars to tell me for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
bf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

well i think i may have found the culprit. after barly touching the lints from the resivoir to the radiator, the plaxtic y broke. IT almost looks as though the dealership may have known this and tried to fix it back.

i also noticed there is coolent in the hole next tot he radiator cap it was bnubbling there. not sure what this woudl indicate.

Getting the new upper vent hose tomorrow, so hopefully that fixes it, might get a resivoir cap while im at it just so i know i have a new good one.
Appreciate 0