XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
neo61uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Performance Edition

49a6 Engine Error Code X5 40d n57

Hi

Anyone knows , or can check in their professional equipment what this code referring to?

I believe its a Glow Plug Controller but can not find any info online about it.

49a6 in inpa

many thanks
      08-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
neo61uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone?

I've noticed when starting car cold, it idles perfect but if light throttle is applied it feels like misfire?
If I let it idle for few minutes or rev it over 1000rpm its fine. Also when warm no issues.
Only misfire/hesitation when 1000rpm cold and trying to leave my driveway first thing in the morning.

Only code storred in memory is 49a6
Found online it means Lin Bus Connection...

Any help?

Could it be glow plug controller? If just this code is storred?
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
AJ17BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 40D E70

Hi, I have exactly the same issue! I thought I was the only one.

Always when the engine is cold, it runs rough and especially when the AC is on and the revs are held around 1000 rpm. If I drive away, the car jerks and jumps and the revs jump up and down. The problem occurs more when under load, when the AC is off, it isn't so noticeable on idle, but of course when driving away

When the engine has run for around 5 minutes, no problems are noticeable.

I also have the same 49A6 code (IBS LIN-BUS communication)

Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem? Im thinking something to do with battery, but no real idea!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
neo61uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi mate

As you can see I didn't get any info in here.
However managed to get help on foreign forums.
Apparently that error we both have means there is a lack or plausible communication error between ecu and glow plug controller.
When you start your car cold glow plug controller work from few minutes to help engine warm up nicely and get better combustion.
Its very common problem on all generations BMW Diesels however on older ones it was very obvious fault number.
I managed to drive my previous Diesels with faulty glow plug controllers for years with no issues.
Now in my X5 I have not replaced it yet. I started parking in my garage. And when driving off I just rev a bit higher and no problems occur.
In my car problem occur only if I rev it to about 800 and hold it there as of slowly driving out of driveway. I just rev it higher and off I'm gone.

Also on N57 engine is much easier to replace it as you don't have to take off inlet manifold to do so.
It cost about £100 on ebay for a brand new Beru one which is oem replacement.

Good luck and let me know how you get on with replacing it and if it helped please.
Martin
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
AJ17BMW
Registered
Rep

Hi Martin,

I was pleased to get your response as it settled my nerves about taking it to the dealer. This week the car was in and they fixed the problems.

They replaced the glow plus and controller, gave the DPF a clean out and also replaced the battery, although they only did the DPF and battery on my request as i do far too many short journeys and thought it might be prudent. They were never going tomsay it was a bad idea!

They also replaced the driveshaft; a recall apparently, but I wonder if I hadnt taken my car in if they would have bothered to notify me.

Thnaks again for your input!
Anthony
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
neo61uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Happy you are sorted now.

Can you tell me what model and year your car is and what they said about a recall please?
Im not sure if mine is still on original shaft and maybe worth giving them a call.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:22 AM   #7
AJ17BMW
Registered
Rep

It’s an X5 40D 2009-2013 (LHD).

They never told me what the work was until I collected the car, and just prewarned me that there was a recall that they might need to apply. Typical swiss dealer, they just take the car, make changes then send the bill - which incidentally was only about £1000
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ17BMW View Post
It’s an X5 40D 2009-2013 (LHD).

They never told me what the work was until I collected the car, and just prewarned me that there was a recall that they might need to apply. Typical swiss dealer, they just take the car, make changes then send the bill - which incidentally was only about £1000
Yep, the front driveshaft was a common recall here in the US, sorry about getting little help on this forum, not many people have a diesel, and even less are from Europe and have a 40d.
      11-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
neo61uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ17BMW View Post
Hi Martin,

I was pleased to get your response as it settled my nerves about taking it to the dealer. This week the car was in and they fixed the problems.

They replaced the glow plus and controller, gave the DPF a clean out and also replaced the battery, although they only did the DPF and battery on my request as i do far too many short journeys and thought it might be prudent. They were never going tomsay it was a bad idea!

They also replaced the driveshaft; a recall apparently, but I wonder if I hadnt taken my car in if they would have bothered to notify me.

Thnaks again for your input!
Anthony
I have checked mine with BMW and mine was in for a recall back in 2014 but was within tolerance and they left it in 🙉🙉
So I just bought a replacement and will be fitting this weekend for a peace of mind.
Appreciate 0