XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
veearrsix
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 Porsche Turbo, Polar Silver

DIY DPF replacement

Hi All,

I have been following one of the guides from a fellow user posted in the E90 section on how to remove the DPF on an X5 (not sure why its there, but he does reference it being a useful guide for the 335d). Anyway...

I have got to the point where I have to remove the engine mount and the "4th bolt". I have located it, and found a sensible route for the ratchet and extension bar, however, I am unable to get the 16mm socket through the gap onto the bolt.

I don't have cheapo sockets, they are halfords pro ones and the wall thickness is pretty slim, I've even tried a 10mm spark plug socket thinking that might have slimmer walls, but no luck.
The DPF is still anchored in place, so I'm thinking of loosening it off to 'hopefully' allow some extra clearance for the socket. Does this sound like it would work?

Also, in the guide, there is a mention of an EGR cooler attached to the DPF, mine doesn't appear to have this, anyone else have the same setup that has tried to remove their DPF?

Cheers in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Here is a write up I did a while back when I did mine.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...e-journey.html

also 335d does not have EGR cooler on the side.

only the X5D does
      11-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
veearrsix
Private
Rep

Thanks, thats a great write-up, I have tried loosening the dpf and as yours was it's stuck tight. I don't have much appetite for dropping the subframe, I don't have anything to anchor too if I need to pull it back into place.

I'm still confused about the EGR cooler, mine doesn't appear to have one. I've got an 08 3.0 SD, should it have one?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by veearrsix View Post
I'm still confused about the EGR cooler, mine doesn't appear to have one. I've got an 08 3.0 SD, should it have one?
No, EU and US diesels have differences like coolers, thermostats, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #5
veearrsix
Private
Rep

So, I have managed to follow the instructions and remove the engine mount and engine mount arm.

I have loosened off the dpf and all was going well, I have had to drop the sub frame a couple of inches, but it has hit a brick wall, no amount of crowbarring will move it, however, the current issue is related to the vacuum line. I had missed the part of the instructions where I should remove the vacuum line hose. Now it appears it is the hose/line which is stopping the dpf from coming out. On further inspection the vacuum line hose doesn't appear to be connected to anything. It is a short piece of rubber pipe with 2 tiny jubilee clips holding it onto the stainless line. So know I don't know if I have accidentally pulled it off or someone else has previously cut it.

I have a few questions:

- Where should the vacuum line be connected to on the engine? (or wherever)
- Is the vacuum line important? (The post I was following mentions just cutting it off, but I intend to reuse the dpf after it has been flash cleaned.)

Last edited by veearrsix; 12-11-2017 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0