XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Brutal Groceries
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Rear camera malfunction X5 M. Any ideas?

My rear camera in my X5 M has been malfunctioning for quite some time. I took the vehicle in for repair, and the dealership kept it for a few days, and said that it was fixed. However, it is worse than it was before. This was after they replaced the rear camera, but the symptoms are the same, just worse.

The screen flickers and breaks up, with different colors, and sometimes dies completely. Previously it had thrown up a "rear video camera malfunction" message on the center screen.

The parking assist lines and 3D sonar graphics always work fine.

The other two (side) cameras are also fine.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I feel I need to help the dealership diagnose this problem with some homework on my own.

Attached are 4 cellphone photos taken in rapid progression. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

FYI the vehicle is 5 months old, and I have over 6,000 miles on her.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brutal Groceries; 02-16-2010 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: adding some info
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

wow. that looks beyond distorted. not sure but I hope it's just one out of the many they have on the road. good luck with a fix
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Brutal Groceries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
wow. that looks beyond distorted. not sure but I hope it's just one out of the many they have on the road. good luck with a fix
I saw in a review of the X5 M that the reviewer mentioned flickering in the camera view...... So it may be more common. I think mine is real bad. I'll report back on the resolution (if there is one).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

I did read some threads before taking delivery of my 3.0 that the rear camera was being discontinued for some Canadian drivers, and they were only offered on the 4.8 and ///M models. Due in to some parts production issues, like shortage or some sort. I hope that didn't interfere with yours acting up the way it did
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Brutal Groceries
Rep

Update.... still not fixed after two attempts. Some more parts are being sent in from Germany and hopefully that will solve it. It seems to be a loose connection issue, somewhere... Probably something very silly. This is my first experience with "superior German engineering".
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Brutal Groceries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Groceries View Post
Update.... still not fixed after two attempts. Some more parts are being sent in from Germany and hopefully that will solve it. It seems to be a loose connection issue, somewhere... Probably something very silly. This is my first experience with "superior German engineering".
... and one final update.

After approximately 3-4 weeks in the shop over 4 trips, they finally fixed it. After replacing all the cameras (all three of them), with no success, they finally replaced the wiring harness. And along the way, there was a short circuit somewhere that started draining the battery after sitting for about 8 hours. Well, all repairs were done, an amplifier was replaced, along with all the wiring harnesses, and a new battery, and everything is A-OK now. It has been a week, and the video image (rear camera and composite of all three camera) is rock steady.

The assistant service manager at BMW (Beth) was really great, kept me up to date. It turns out that the diagnostic messages and errors codes were pointing at camera failures, but it really was just a bad connection somewhere all along.
Appreciate 0