XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Trips
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jeep srt

Long term reliability of the x5m?

My lease is coming up soon on my x5m and am replacing it with the new M5 I'm nervous though about having the M5 as my daily in the winters even with snow tires. I was thinking of just buying out the x5 at the end of the lease and having my dealer cpo it so I'd have a couple extra years and 50k more miles of coverage.

Any thoughts on how the engine and tranny will hold up beyond that? Is this a 100k+ mile kinda car? That would be my intention if I bought the car, to keep it indefinitely.

Thanks!
_tom
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

I think it would be very expensive to own out of warranty. I think the turbos are the problematic thing and if something goes wrong it's not a cheap fix. If u get the extended warranty it's not an issue, u should be fine and congrats on the M5 it'll look nice in the stable next 2 the X.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Trips
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jeep srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel View Post
I think it would be very expensive to own out of warranty. I think the turbos are the problematic thing and if something goes wrong it's not a cheap fix. If u get the extended warranty it's not an issue, u should be fine and congrats on the M5 it'll look nice in the stable next 2 the X.
Thx Biff. One thing I need to mention is that I have an awesome independent service guy who I completely trust and is very fair in terms of cost. I'd probably be putting 5k miles per year, maybe less on the x5m because I'd also be driving the m5 in the winter. My buyout for the x5 is only $47k, so at that price I was thinking why not. I've not had any major problems service wise while I've had the car the last 35k miles. Am I just talking myself into buying it? Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Well Maybe you are "talking yourself" into buying it... But only because it's the obvious right move. Even if u didnt have the service hookup incase of an unlikely problem I'd say it's a no brainer but with that on your side,
And assuming the $ is not an issue I don't think u can go wrong keeping ur X5M, I'm kinda in the same situation I've got my eye on a 6 speed 911TT and I'd love to keep my X aswell.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Personally (after a long history of BMW experience) I've found that a 100K mile BMW (sans expensive repairs) is the exception not the rule

I love BMW, but personally would not want to own one past ~70K out of warranty
Appreciate 0