XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Rion
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota 4runner 2002

Help deciding between 2010 x5m or new 5.0

Hi i am new on here. I am about to buy a new x5 5.0 with either m performance or dinan tune but the dealer just got in a 2010 x5m with 39k miles for asking 69k. I have always wanted a x5m but would be happy with the new tuned 5.0. I live in Washington state and it's wet here alot. I have two kids but still want performance but i wont be racing on tracks often/ever. Any suggestions/Opinions regarding which to purchase would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Legitimate
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: DEATH TO NlGGERS

If they were both used, I'd say the M but since the 5.0 would be new, I'd say that. Used M's are usually abused to heck and I always feel weird getting into a used car, not knowing what kind of germs are in there and such. I'd say take the slight depreciation hit and just go with the 5.0. Not that much of a difference from there except for the better suspension and sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Ben_XI
Rep
Drives: 2011 x50i

Good choices. Were you referring to BMW Seattle's black X5M? I think that one was just turned in by a member here for a new 2013 X5M.

Anyway, if price is not an issue then a new 5.0 loaded with Dinan because everything is new and updated with new 4-year warranty. Otherwise, the used X5M would be preferrable since it's already loaded with factory performance and it's already depreciated a ton.

Of course, you have to consider how long you plan on keeping this vehicle. Obviously, a brand new vehicle will take a huge depreciate hit when you sell/trade-in. For me, I'm swearing off purchasing brand new since I've lost two vehicles due to total-losses caused by others and the valuation by the insurance is never enough to compensate the loss.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the test drive. Either one you get, you'll need to get a set of dedicated winter tires/wheels. On top of the rain here, we do get some snow on these hilly streets and the performance summer tires will not cut it.

Good luck with your choice. Either way, you'll have fun. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Lots of pros and cons here but it depends on what is most important to you. The 50i with Dinan is plenty quick (and should be even quicker with the Dinan intake once it's released), plus gets much better gas mileage. I do a lot of highway driving, and the range on the 50i is close to double what I used to get in the M due to the 8-spd transmission. I like the M, but I traded it and ended up getting a 50i, and I'm very happy. If your commute is short, the M is a bit more fun and might be worth it. But if you're not going to be using the extra performance, then there's no point. Drive both and see what you like.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
Hi i am new on here. I am about to buy a new x5 5.0 with either m performance or dinan tune but the dealer just got in a 2010 x5m with 39k miles for asking 69k. I have always wanted a x5m but would be happy with the new tuned 5.0. I live in Washington state and it's wet here alot. I have two kids but still want performance but i wont be racing on tracks often/ever. Any suggestions/Opinions regarding which to purchase would be welcome.
check out my 2010 just traded into Seattle. 27K miles and it was babied.

PM or email me at mswaz@yahoo.com and I can give you a contact and specs.
Appreciate 0