XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-17-2024, 05:03 PM   #1
71Choptop
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35d, 2023 Goldwing

things to replace

Purchased a nice 2012 BMW x5d from a large, respected dealer in the area, had their 100 and whatever check up..., yesterday I decided to check the air cleaner because that's what I do. After I got half done w/the removal I had the feeling that those lazy bstards did not check it because it was to much work, I was right. According to carfax, the last time it was replaced was 70,000 miles ago. So much for their maintenance inspection, called my sales person and told him I didn't have a lot of faith in their service dept. because that should have been checked and replaced, they are sending me a check for the filter. I am going to call the dealers that worked on it during the second owners time and see if I can get some info on what was done. Are their some things that I should be replacing on my own as preventive maintenance because it will only go back to a dealer or some shop if it is something I am not comfortable doing.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 09:06 PM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Probably a lot of things.

M57 wise: Turbo vacuum system, harmonic dampener, waterpump/thermostat, and if you’re keeping the emissions goodluck with that.

E70 x5 wise: I would say check all your drains, Ive had a pinched roof drain on the rear driver side which shorted my tcm and drained my battery. Also check the drain where the passenger side rain partition drains, mine was clogged and filled my dde box and fried my dde. Then check the rain partitions for signs of leaking or dry rotting.

I’m probably missing some things but the 3-series forum has a sub forum for m57 related stuff and there’s plenty in this forum on maintenance or issues e70 related.

Idk why people have any faith in dealerships anymore. Makes about as much sense as trusting in the government