XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-18-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Options you wish your X5 had?

Hi all, I am looking to purchase an X5, preferably 50i.
I was going to purchase one Friday that had almost every option, but it got away from me.
My e90 335 isn’t very family oriented and the e91 is just not big enough.

Looking to see from X5 owners what options you would like to have and what options you do have that don’t make a difference.

Options I am dead set on getting,
M sport Package
Chassis & suspens. setup"Adaptive Drive"
Rear door sun shade
Back up camera
M sport leather steering wheel
Heated front seats
Satellite radio
Brushed aluminum roof rail
Comfort access.

I think that’s all for now.

Some other options that would be a plus but not a deal breaker:
Heated rear seats
Third row seating
Soft closing doors.
Top view with the rear view camera

Looking at the 2011-2013 models.

I’m going to try and find one that has had the valve seals replaced.

Did I miss anything?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Hi all, I am looking to purchase an X5, preferably 50i.
I was going to purchase one Friday that had almost every option, but it got away from me.
My e90 335 isn’t very family oriented and the e91 is just not big enough.

Looking to see from X5 owners what options you would like to have and what options you do have that don’t make a difference.

Options I am dead set on getting,
M sport Package
Chassis & suspens. setup"Adaptive Drive"
Rear door sun shade
Back up camera
Heated front seats
Satellite radio
Brushed aluminum roof rail
Comfort access.

I think that’s all for now.

Some other options that would be a plus but not a deal breaker:
Heated rear seats
Third row seating
Soft closing doors.
Top view with the rear view camera

Looking at the 2011-2013 models.

I’m going to try and find one that has had the valve seals replaced.

Did I miss anything?
Thanks.
You missed the Comfort/Multi-Contour Seats - the 20 way adjustable seats. These are generally considered a 'must-have' option by most enthusiasts here, along with Sport or M Sport.

Adaptive Drive is super popular but tough to find on 2012/2013's. It was included with 2011 M Sport models, but an expensive and standalone option for 2012/2013. Big downside of 2011 IMO is the halogen coronas - 2012/2013 have the LCI LED coronas which cannot be replicated with any aftermarket bulbs.

If you search 2012/2013 50i's with M Sport and Executive (most will have Executive Package) you'll have everything on your 'dead set' list except Adaptive Drive.

Last edited by jiggz; 08-19-2019 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:07 AM   #3
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you for the reply and info.

The seats, I had planned on getting an X5 with the sport seats, lower leg support, bolsters and memory.
I thought all M sports would come with these.
Are comfort seats you mention different from these?

I did not know about the lights, I thought 2011 was the LCI year for this car and all 2011-2013 was the same.
I have seen the bright Coronas on the road, but figured they were all 2011-2013.

Would the Executive package be listed under the options list when using a vin decoder? I haven’t seen any listed as “executive package”
That’s what I have been using to sort through X5s I come across.

From what I have read, the standard non adaptive suspension is somewhere in between the adaptive comfort setting and the sport setting, more on the tougher side.
It would be really nice to be able to toggle back and forth between the two.

A couple more options I forgot that would be nice but not needed:
electric steering column
Heated steering wheel, if this was an option.
And I’ve seen some videos where the wheel moves up and the seat slides back when the ignition is turned off?

Not to get side tracked, because odds are slim, but would an x5M come standard with most of my “dead set” options?
Short of ordering a new x5 with all the options I want, it’ll be hard to find an 11-13, but as of the one that got away on Friday, I’m sure it’s possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:54 AM   #4
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

The Active Ventilated Seat Package
For me personally, living in a hot climate ventilated seats are a god send sometimes and the active seats help on long trips!
Seeing that you are in Cali it might be beneficial to you too!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:18 AM   #5
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

I have used the ventilated seats in a previous w211 Mercedes and it was nice, slipped my mind that that would be another nice option to have.

What would this option name be under the build sheet?
Hot climate version?
“Active ventilated seats”?
“Comfort seat with memory” is the active seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Wasn't a deal breaker but HUD & ventilated active seats (or whatever the real name) would have been nice.
      08-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Soft close doors. Every time the wife closes the door, i can feel a shockwave
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      08-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
KadizzleD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 xDrive 3.0

Having the convenience package to start/unlock the car with the FOB in my pocket would have been nice. Thought about doing a transplant but the cost for the system is a little much for a marginal quality of life improvement
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the reply and info.

The seats, I had planned on getting an X5 with the sport seats, lower leg support, bolsters and memory.
I thought all M sports would come with these.
Are comfort seats you mention different from these?

I did not know about the lights, I thought 2011 was the LCI year for this car and all 2011-2013 was the same.
I have seen the bright Coronas on the road, but figured they were all 2011-2013.

Would the Executive package be listed under the options list when using a vin decoder? I haven’t seen any listed as “executive package”
That’s what I have been using to sort through X5s I come across.

From what I have read, the standard non adaptive suspension is somewhere in between the adaptive comfort setting and the sport setting, more on the tougher side.
It would be really nice to be able to toggle back and forth between the two.

A couple more options I forgot that would be nice but not needed:
electric steering column
Heated steering wheel, if this was an option.
And I’ve seen some videos where the wheel moves up and the seat slides back when the ignition is turned off?

Not to get side tracked, because odds are slim, but would an x5M come standard with most of my “dead set” options?
Short of ordering a new x5 with all the options I want, it’ll be hard to find an 11-13, but as of the one that got away on Friday, I’m sure it’s possible.
There's 4 different seat options in the E70 -
-base
-sport
-comfort/multi-contour
-active ventilated (includes all the comfort seat functions)

Sport & M Sport models come standard with the sport seats, with comfort or active ventilated seats being optional. Active ventilated aren't necessarily rare, but they're also not that common on the E70. The sports seats have the thigh extension but it's manual, whereas the multi-contour & active ventilated the thigh extension is powered, along with other adjustments and features.

2011 is considered LCI for the E70 but for whatever reason the updated LED coronas were not included until 2012 model year (some later build 2011 35d's have the LED coronas).

Sorry, I meant Premium Package, not Executive Package, but no it would not be listed under that name in the VIN decoder. Other than Sport or M Sport, the decoder won't list packages, you'd have to know what options make up a package to know if the vehicle is equipped with it. 2012/2013 50i Premium Package included comfort access, rear window shades, universal garage door opener, 4 zone climate control, rear view camera w/ top view, interior mirror w/ compass, and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

Heated steering is part of the cold weather package, but was not included on M Sports until 2013 model year.

E70 X5M's had 5 different available packages and a long list of standalone options, so they by no means came standard with all the goods either.

Quote:
I have used the ventilated seats in a previous w211 Mercedes and it was nice, slipped my mind that that would be another nice option to have.

What would this option name be under the build sheet?
Hot climate version?
“Active ventilated seats”?
“Comfort seat with memory” is the active seats?
In the VIN decoder, comfort seats will show:
S456A Comfort seat with memory

Active ventilated seats will show the following, along with the comfort seats above:
S453A Climate-controlled seats, front
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      08-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Mine is optioned with everything that I wanted, at least for the year. I do wish that it had bluetooth audio, as opposed to just the phone, and the LED headlights.

I have had passengers very excited to have the heated rear seats, and I really like the active heated and cooled drivers seat. One nice touch on mine is the extended leather, I didn't realize how much nicer the dash was until I paid attention to other X5s.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

#1 above all else- DIESEL!

If I ever buy another, it'll have comfort/ active/ ventilated front seats. I have the base and they're fine, but nothing in comparison.

3rd row for the oem rear air suspension

I have the top down view cameras, and I wouldnt want an X5 without it.

I wish I had extended leather, but it's no dealbreaker. I wouldve loved an HUD for nighttime driving, since during the day I nearly always have polarized sunglasses on.

At the end of the day, I got my car used, for $4300. I can't complain. it functions reliably and it's essentially my beater commuter and part time tow rig.
      08-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

M sport Package
Adaptive Drive
Rear Window Sun Shade
Leather Dash
M Roof Rails (added these earlier this year)
Individual Audio
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Most useless option is the L/R facing front fender cameras. The concept is good, but in practice, I forget its even there. And I am too busy LOOKING with my EYES when I poke the nose out from between two cars, to bother stopping, hitting a button, and checking the screen...
BUT this comes with the Tech Package and the rest of that package is good. So...

Oh & the hill descent has never been used by me either...

Good Stuff - have to echo the above on the ventilated Comfort seats... Professional stereo option,
And the V8 !!
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #14
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Wasn't a deal breaker but HUD & ventilated active seats (or whatever the real name) would have been nice.
I’ve seen the HUD in videos, it looks nice but I could live without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Soft close doors. Every time the wife closes the door, i can feel a shockwave
Soft close doors would be a huge + as I hate when people slam the doors in my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadizzleD View Post
Having the convenience package to start/unlock the car with the FOB in my pocket would have been nice. Thought about doing a transplant but the cost for the system is a little much for a marginal quality of life improvement
Comfort access? That is a must have for me. I hate not being able to pop my trunk or hatch open on my e9x without double clicking the key fob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
There's 4 different seat options in the E70 -
-base
-sport
-comfort/multi-contour
-active ventilated (includes all the comfort seat functions)

Sport & M Sport models come standard with the sport seats, with comfort or active ventilated seats being optional. Active ventilated aren't necessarily rare, but they're also not that common on the E70. The sports seats have the thigh extension but it's manual, whereas the multi-contour & active ventilated the thigh extension is powered, along with other adjustments and features.

2011 is considered LCI for the E70 but for whatever reason the updated LED coronas were not included until 2012 model year (some later build 2011 35d's have the LED coronas).

Sorry, I meant Premium Package, not Executive Package, but no it would not be listed under that name in the VIN decoder. Other than Sport or M Sport, the decoder won't list packages, you'd have to know what options make up a package to know if the vehicle is equipped with it. 2012/2013 50i Premium Package included comfort access, rear window shades, universal garage door opener, 4 zone climate control, rear view camera w/ top view, interior mirror w/ compass, and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

Heated steering is part of the cold weather package, but was not included on M Sports until 2013 model year.

E70 X5M's had 5 different available packages and a long list of standalone options, so they by no means came standard with all the goods either.

In the VIN decoder, comfort seats will show:
S456A Comfort seat with memory

Active ventilated seats will show the following, along with the comfort seats above:
S453A Climate-controlled seats, front
Looks like sport comfort seats are the way to go.
Ventilated seats would be nice, but if an x5 pops up and that option is missing, it’ll be fine.

The Coronas aren’t that big of an issue for me right now. If I do end up finding an 11, Im going to swap the bulbs out for a red bulb.

4zone heating looks like an option that came on most of the x5s I’ve seen. Only a few don’t have that option.

Hmm, so even finding an x5m might not have all of these options I’m looking for.

Thanks for the informative reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Mine is optioned with everything that I wanted, at least for the year. I do wish that it had bluetooth audio, as opposed to just the phone, and the LED headlights.

I have had passengers very excited to have the heated rear seats, and I really like the active heated and cooled drivers seat. One nice touch on mine is the extended leather, I didn't realize how much nicer the dash was until I paid attention to other X5s.
Bluetooth audio, another option that would be a huge plus, but with an aux port and a Bluetooth aux receiver, I’ll be fine.

The full leather interior would be very nice! Those seem harder to find than anything else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
#1 above all else- DIESEL!

If I ever buy another, it'll have comfort/ active/ ventilated front seats. I have the base and they're fine, but nothing in comparison.

3rd row for the oem rear air suspension

I have the top down view cameras, and I wouldnt want an X5 without it.

I wish I had extended leather, but it's no dealbreaker. I wouldve loved an HUD for nighttime driving, since during the day I nearly always have polarized sunglasses on.

At the end of the day, I got my car used, for $4300. I can't complain. it functions reliably and it's essentially my beater commuter and part time tow rig.
The 35d would be good for gas mileage, but at 265 hp, it doesn’t really fit what I’m looking for.
You purchased your e70 35d for $4300? That’s a very good price.

What d o you mean “third row for the oem rear suspension”?

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #15
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
M sport Package
Adaptive Drive
Rear Window Sun Shade
Leather Dash
M Roof Rails (added these earlier this year)
Individual Audio
Yup! Definitely need all those options, besides leather dash.
The difference between M roof rails and the standard floating ones is a huge aesthetic difference.
Individual audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
Most useless option is the L/R facing front fender cameras. The concept is good, but in practice, I forget its even there. And I am too busy LOOKING with my EYES when I poke the nose out from between two cars, to bother stopping, hitting a button, and checking the screen...
BUT this comes with the Tech Package and the rest of that package is good. So...

Oh & the hill descent has never been used by me either...

Good Stuff - have to echo the above on the ventilated Comfort seats... Professional stereo option,
And the V8 !!
Yea, I don’t care for having the camera there. Hill descent has never been touched in the e91 xi, so I’ll probably never use that.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #16
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
The 35d would be good for gas mileage, but at 265 hp, it doesn’t really fit what I’m looking for.
You purchased your e70 35d for $4300? That’s a very good price.

Thanks all.
a tune and delete would change that quickly

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 1
Spyro235259.50
      08-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #17
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks all.
3rd row equipped E70's have the rear air suspension vs. the standard suspension. Though I've seen some E70's in the decoder w/o 3rd row that have rear air suspension, though very rarely. Rear air suspension was not an option to select so not sure how some non-3rd row X's ended up with it

Quote:
Individual audio?
Only available on the X5M.

Quote:
What kind of power does that put down on the 35d? I honestly don't know.

Tunes for the E70 50i are cheap nowadays and yield 500ish HP/600ish TQ.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #18
mir604
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35D

Active Cruise Control. Look for the sensor on the front lower grille, square piece and the adjustment for distance on the cruise control knob. That in my opinion will provide solid future proofing for the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #19
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir604 View Post
Active Cruise Control. Look for the sensor on the front lower grille, square piece and the adjustment for distance on the cruise control knob. That in my opinion will provide solid future proofing for the car.
Good call - first person to mention this! Extremely rare option on the E70, but pretty much commonplace on current BMW's.

I'd say active cruise control, active steering, rear sear entertainment (completely forgettable on the E70), & full nappa leather are the rarest E70 options. Might even put 3rd row in there. And maybe adaptive drive, but it was included on 2011 M Sports (even the 35i) so not really that rare IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #20
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Might not be an option, my car came without it but a spare tire is great to have!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #21
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
3rd row equipped E70's have the rear air suspension vs. the standard suspension. Though I've seen some E70's in the decoder w/o 3rd row that have rear air suspension, though very rarely. Rear air suspension was not an option to select so not sure how some non-3rd row X's ended up with it

Only available on the X5M.

What kind of power does that put down on the 35d? I honestly don't know.

Tunes for the E70 50i are cheap nowadays and yield 500ish HP/600ish TQ.
Almost every x5 I have seen, had the rear leveling suspension w/o third row.

I am curious as to what numbers the diesel could put out and the cost to get those numbers
I’m aiming for the 50i hp because with a tune, it could yield ~500hp. The car won’t really be used all that often. I’m thinking a tuned 50i for ~$500 with the right preventive maintenance should last me sometime. I won’t be flooring it all the time, but it’s always been a peace of mind to me to know I have the power to use if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir604 View Post
I don’t have active cruise control in any of my cars, and when I do use standard CC, I am still weary of it. Active cruise control option would be a bonus.

Quote:
Good call - first person to mention this! Extremely rare option on the E70, but pretty much commonplace on current BMW's.

I'd say active cruise control, active steering, rear sear entertainment (completely forgettable on the E70), & full nappa leather are the rarest E70 options. Might even put 3rd row in there. And maybe adaptive drive, but it was included on 2011 M Sports (even the 35i) so not really that rare IMO.
Ahh, rear entertainment package. I saw an x5 that had this a few months ago.
This would definitely be a huge plus! But as you said, a rare option.
Third row option is popping up around 50/50 when searching for the x5.
The third row seats are about $350-400 on eBay. This is probably the only option I would purchase afterwards if the car doesn’t come with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv777 View Post
Might not be an option, my car came without it but a spare tire is great to have!
I saw an x5m yesterday with the spare tire, thought if the M had it, standard non Ms would definitely have it!

Last edited by Serf27; 08-20-2019 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #22
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

No, the M uses non- runflat tires, so needs a spare.
Standard X5's use runflats = no spare.

I forgot the Comfort Access key fob, I LUV this option. Leave key in pocket.

"Soft close doors would be a huge + as I hate when people slam the doors in my cars. "
Just because you have Soft-close doors doesn't mean anyone will close them softly!! Mine get slammed all the time :-( And you feel like a snob when you point it out or ask them to close them softly...
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0