XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #23
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
Jiggz,
Thanks...that looks like a great car except the wife won't drive a car w dark leather interior. Only beige and oyster...urgh...
The good news is I'm in no hurry. Would like to be in something by end of Nov/Dec at the latest.
Gotcha - what about cinnamon? That color became much more common in the last of the E70's and isn't too dark.

Anyhow, be sure to check BMWUSA.com CPO page - you can search by trim and then specify color, package/options, etc., and you'll see 35i Premium are easily the most plentiful X5 available. Almost all of them will have the Convenience Package as it included most of the necessary stuff, and Cold Weather Package is quite common too. 2012+ have heated front seats standard, so Cold Weather would just had the heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, headlight washers, and ski bag.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #24
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

35i Premiums are really a dime a dozen - your clue when looking at pictures are the wheels. Try and at least find a Sport Activity. If you're flexible on color, there's a good number of them out there. For me, it's all about the steering wheel, and the wheel on the SA or M Sport really completes the experience. Combine that with the 214 or 333 wheels and you've got a good looking truck.....
      10-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #25
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

First off, thanks everyone for your input. I think I might have a lead on a car that checks all the boxes. I'm a fan of the Sports activity version...my wife could care less. But I have an eye on a car that would require me to do a 300 mile round trip to pick up.

Please take a look and let me know what you think I should pay for this car? It was originally purchased and serviced at this dealer and I think It's back from a lease return.

Again I'm not in a hurry...I'd rather wait for the right car for the right price.
Thanks again guys/gals.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/BMW/...m?geoZip=18914

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #26
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

IMO that color combo is the worse, sport pkg must have. If your wife doesn't like a dark interior, I will go just with oyster not this beige.
      10-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #27
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

Must.....avert.....eyes.....
      10-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #28
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
... But I have an eye on a car that would require me to do a 300 mile round trip to pick up.

Please take a look and let me know what you think I should pay for this car? It was originally purchased and serviced at this dealer and I think It's back from a lease return.

I actually don't mind that color ... it's unusual and looks good when seen in person.

However, note the the following:

1. This car has "sport seats". Do yourself a favor and find a local car and sit in and try the seats. I have had all 3 varieties: standard, sport and multi-contour comfort seats. The sport seats are by far the most uncomfortable for the following reasons: a. the seating surface is unusually hard. You don't notice it at first, but after 3 hours of long distance driving you can't wait to get out and find some relief! b. the side bolster is too high. I am 6'3" and have difficulty clearing it. The aluminum running side boards make it that much harder to get in and out. At first it seems trivial, but this one feature caused me to trade my 2011 X5 with sport seats for a 2012 with comfort seats!

2. The CarFax shows that the two tires were replaced at 18K mi. That's not unusual given that the car has 20" style 214 staggered wheels (probably front tires because of alignment issues), but what is unusual is that this was done at the dealer ... One of the arguments a dealer will make about replacing tires is that if front and rear differ by more than 2/32, all four should be replaced, otherwise the transfer case will get damaged! So either the transfer case on this car is damaged, or it is about to be damaged, or the dealers are full of s***t.

If you do look at it, make sure you have a close look at the tires, the brand, the tread depth and the manufacturing date code.

Ask for the CPO check list to verify.

Oh, and check the windshield for cracks, replacement with non BMW glass ...
      10-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #29
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
First off, thanks everyone for your input. I think I might have a lead on a car that checks all the boxes. I'm a fan of the Sports activity version...my wife could care less. But I have an eye on a car that would require me to do a 300 mile round trip to pick up.

Again I'm not in a hurry...I'd rather wait for the right car for the right price.
Thanks again guys/gals.

At 37K miles, this car is listed at $42.5K. IMO, at least $5K overpriced. I like the sparkling bronze metallic; not a big fan of the beige interior on this one. I would also encourage you to drive one with the "adaptive drive" option. Since you have time on your hands, AD + comfort seats would be good combo to hunt for (likely one in every 500 listed for sale has this combo, its pretty rare).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #30
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
2. The CarFax shows that the two tires were replaced at 18K mi. That's not unusual given that the car has 20" style 214 staggered wheels (probably front tires because of alignment issues), but what is unusual is that this was done at the dealer ... One of the arguments a dealer will make about replacing tires is that if front and rear differ by more than 2/32, all four should be replaced, otherwise the transfer case will get damaged! So either the transfer case on this car is damaged, or it is about to be damaged, or the dealers are full of s***t.
yeah, that one
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #31
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Dealers are absolutely full of s$/t.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #32
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I like the Sparking Bronze - wouldn't be my 1st choice but it's fairly rare and the 214's/Sport Package compliment most any color on the X5. Would take it over Deep Sea Blue or Vermillion Red.

It's the beige interior that kills it for me. I'm certain I would like it much more if they didn't build it with beige carpet, center console, and lower dash (same thing you get with Tobacco - everything is dark brown). I like the cinnamon and oyster interiors as all those pieces are black.

Price is right inline with all other CPO 2013 models. There's 67 on BMWUSA.com (2013/35i/Sport trim) and only a few are under $40K, most are in the 40's somewhere. This one isn't loaded but it's not stripped either - Convenience, Cold Weather, & Technology packages, + rear seat entertainment system, running boards, and spare tire. It's just an asking price, they're all negotiable.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #33
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So…finding a car seems to be harder than I thought it would be. I know I just started the process…but I feel like I’m spending countless hours a night searching, BMW USA, Cars.com and autotrader.com. (any other sites people would recommend?) I finally took my wife to test drive an X5 35i at the local dealer and she loved how the car drove and felt. So you’re probably asking why not buy that car at your local dealer? Here are a few reasons:

1. I saw the car before they took it to reconditioning…there were enough gold fish, old French fries and chkn nuggets to feed a small island. The car looked like it had been through hell and back. No thanks.
2. In addition the mileage was higher than I really wanted (44k). Ideally I’d like to be between 32-40k miles.
3. The sales guy was a total douche bag (hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone) Even to the point where my wife was like…I’m not buying a car from that guy. And her Tolerance for douche bags is much higher than mine (prob why she’s still married to me)

So…back to the forum for some input. I found a vehicle that I’m interested in and was able to leverage some of the information previously provided by the members of this forum…big shout out to PAX5 for all the helpful info. With this info I was able to get the sales guy to tell me what they had into the car…he shared they had $39,250. Now…I don’t know If I believe him but what they started off asking for the car was $43,990 and have come down to $41,800. They said this is their best offer. I really don’t want to go above 41k for this car. I’ve attached a link to this vehicle for reference http://www.bmwrockville.com/certifie...d7cd86bb05.htm . What are your thoughts? Is 41k unrealistic…should I wait? I do have time on my hands as I currently have a vehicle I don’t need to get out of.

The perfect car for me would include Nav, Cold weather, Comfort and Tech package. I know many are not a fan of the Sparkling Bronze…but I kinda like it. The beige interior is not my choice…it’s the wife’s choice…so we’re looking for either a beige interior or oyster.

Feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #34
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So…finding a car seems to be harder than I thought it would be. I know I just started the process…but I feel like I’m spending countless hours a night searching, BMW USA, Cars.com and autotrader.com. (any other sites people would recommend?) I finally took my wife to test drive an X5 35i at the local dealer and she loved how the car drove and felt. So you’re probably asking why not buy that car at your local dealer? Here are a few reasons:

1. I saw the car before they took it to reconditioning…there were enough gold fish, old French fries and chkn nuggets to feed a small island. The car looked like it had been through hell and back. No thanks.
2. In addition the mileage was higher than I really wanted (44k). Ideally I’d like to be between 32-40k miles.
3. The sales guy was a total douche bag (hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone) Even to the point where my wife was like…I’m not buying a car from that guy. And her Tolerance for douche bags is much higher than mine (prob why she’s still married to me)

So…back to the forum for some input. I found a vehicle that I’m interested in and was able to leverage some of the information previously provided by the members of this forum…big shout out to PAX5 for all the helpful info. With this info I was able to get the sales guy to tell me what they had into the car…he shared they had $39,250. Now…I don’t know If I believe him but what they started off asking for the car was $43,990 and have come down to $41,800. They said this is their best offer. I really don’t want to go above 41k for this car. I’ve attached a link to this vehicle for reference http://www.bmwrockville.com/certifie...d7cd86bb05.htm . What are your thoughts? Is 41k unrealistic…should I wait? I do have time on my hands as I currently have a vehicle I don’t need to get out of.

The perfect car for me would include Nav, Cold weather, Comfort and Tech package. I know many are not a fan of the Sparkling Bronze…but I kinda like it. The beige interior is not my choice…it’s the wife’s choice…so we’re looking for either a beige interior or oyster.

Feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
Yes these vehicles typically take time to locate when you have a specific list of color preferences (interior & exterior), year, miles, & packages/options. I spent 10 months, but like you we had a perfectly good vehicle so was able to take all the time needed to find exactly what we wanted. You'll be glad you held out when you end up with exactly what you want And I wouldn't be afraid to ship one either, that will open up your options greatly.

What exterior colors are suitable? 35i Premiums are pretty easy to find with those package you mention - those are all common.

What about the Sparkling Bronze Sport model you linked to above in post 25? Basically same price and mileage as this latest one you linked, but adds the Sport Package.

If you find one that checks all the boxes, I wouldn't let the salesperson prevent you from potentially purchasing it - just ask for somebody different.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #35
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

IMHO you can get a lot more for less. Although it's a 2013 with 35k I'd be more inclined to get a 2012 with slightly higher mileage with all the options and CPO. There are plenty of X5s out there with over 100k so I wouldn't be overly concerned with mileage and certainly wouldn't let 4000mi of mileage be a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #36
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
overpriced, IMO. I wouldn't pay more than $38K for this. At $40K, I'd be looking to buy one that has most options - comfort seats, tech. pkg., pro audio (and adaptive drive, if i'm lucky).

As jiggz mentions, folks have waited a long time to find their "perfect" car. I looked every car listed on cars.com/bmw cpo, every day for over 4 months, before finding one right in my backyard. Since you have time on your hands, I'd wait if I were you. The 2013s will be coming off leases right about now, so you should have a good inventory to choose from, in the coming days.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #37
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

FWIW I test drove the 3.5 and 5.0 and found it to be a no brainer. I know the issues but could not pass up a M sport with warranty and maintenance covered until 100K. Felt that the V8 was much more fun than V6.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #38
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
FWIW I test drove the 3.5 and 5.0 and found it to be a no brainer. I know the issues but could not pass up a M sport with warranty and maintenance covered until 100K. Felt that the V8 was much more fun than V6.
Agree with you - drove both and came to the same conclusion.

You do know it's actually a 3.0 and 4.4 though, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #39
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Agree with you - drove both and came to the same conclusion.

You do know it's actually a 3.0 and 4.4 though, right?
Reckon I should have said that thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #40
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Keep looking ... you can do better.

And why is it again that you don't want the 50i or the 35d?

I posted this one on Bimmerfest:

Ran into someone from the NYC area who's about to trade his 2012 X5 35d (diesel). If you are interested, PM me.

The car is deep sea blue with saddle/tan interior (light color), has Adaptive Drive, sport seats and third row. About 40K miles.

It's a lease. The owner is considering selling it outright. If not it will be traded soon. He's already ordered the X5 xDrive40e! (I didn't even know this existed ...)

Buy out is around $38K. Manheim auction is around $34K. Dealers are selling these around $42K with CPO.

VIN: 5UXZW0C5XCL674736

11-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #41
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Keep looking ... you can do better.

And why is it again that you don't want the 50i or the 35d?

I posted this one on Bimmerfest:

Ran into someone from the NYC area who's about to trade his 2012 X5 35d (diesel). If you are interested, PM me.

The car is deep sea blue with saddle/tan interior (light color), has Adaptive Drive, sport seats and third row. About 40K miles.

It's a lease. The owner is considering selling it outright. If not it will be traded soon. He's already ordered the X5 xDrive40e! (I didn't even know this existed ...)

Buy out is around $38K. Manheim auction is around $34K. Dealers are selling these around $42K with CPO.

VIN: 5UXZW0C5XCL674736

Pax5... I'm interested in the 35i over the others for a few reasons... 1. I have experience with the 35i (N55) as it's the same engine I have in my 135i & feel more confident from a reliability perspective. 2. I plan on tuning as I did w my 135i & the N55 platform is pretty tunable. 3. I'd love the 5.0 but have heard of reliability concerns, in addition I wouldn't mind better mileage than what I'm already getting in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 5.7 (13 mpg.).

I had not considered the diesel because it'll be my wife's vehicle & I know she wants something simple , no worry about finding a diesel pump etc.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I drove the 50i and although it's definitely more fun, I am more than happy with my 35i for daily usage.

If the OP can, try and find an M Sport. Looks so much better than all the other versions out there. And I bought mine CPO with 40K on the ticker. Never bothered me.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #43
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Again...thanks everyone for your input. Initially I was concerned with getting a vehicle with over 40k miles, but based on what you guys are telling me...I shouldn't let that bother me so much.

The car is actually available at a local dealer(Within 30 miles). It includes convenience, coldweather, and tech. It also seems to have upgraded seats with more controls...sorry not sure what that's called.

They are asking $37,678. what do you guys think I should offer?

Thanks again.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/BMW/...m?geoZip=18037

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #44
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again...thanks everyone for your input. Initially I was concerned with getting a vehicle with over 40k miles, but based on what you guys are telling me...I shouldn't let that bother me so much.

The car is actually available at a local dealer(Within 30 miles). It includes convenience, coldweather, and tech. It also seems to have upgraded seats with more controls...sorry not sure what that's called.

They are asking $37,678. what do you guys think I should offer?

Thanks again.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/BMW/...m?geoZip=18037
Very nice - that one appears to have everything you're looking for, plus the upgraded seats (multi-contour seats). Those are pretty much required IMO, especially on a non-sport/M sport model as the seats would be the real basic ones.

Try to get a few thousand off that price for sure.
Appreciate 0