XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
ssingh1975
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW IX, '21 Ford Ranger

Question Pre-owned X5 Purchase..some questions

Hi all

Currently have a '08 535i and apart from some minor out of warranty repairs, the vehicle's been fairly reliable (2nd owner).

We are going to trade in towards a minty X5 (possibly 2011 or 2012 Diesel).

On my 535, there was a big recall on the twin turbo a while ago which was kinda pretty significant. Also, the brake sensor boards went out after 50k which costs me $300 out of pocket and apparently , it was a common issue with the housing getting burnt out over time (but BMW didn't consider it as a defect ). Lexus RX is nice but not really my cup of tea.

I've eyed 2 xDrive35d locally..both have under 25k miles so I'm presuming the maintenance warranty should come as standard till 50k?

For the diesel engines, is there anything important to look for or be aware of, especially in the 2011/12 models?

We just test drove the 'REALLY NEW' Acura MDX but Acura is overcharging customers for it, especially since the interior is laded with fake wood (plastic).

I test drove a 2013 XDrive35D and really liked it but not the price the dealer was asking for it. With the 2 I'm looking at, I'm getting better deal (I think).

Thanks in advance !
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
ixm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3x2

Maintenance is covered for 4yrs/ 50,000 and is transfered to the new owner.

We have a 2011 X5d and love it.
Had an 02 X5 3.0 before and it was fine, but the E70 was a major move upwards for us.

The torque from the X5d is addicting, the interior materials wear like iron, the third row has been very useful (I even sat back there for a few hours on one long drive (200+#), and it is hard to keep below 80mph on open highways. In winter, with Hakkapolitta snow tires the thing is utterly unstoppable in snow. A few yrs ago we were caught in a Christmas night storm and were literally driving around the highway snow plows while there were disabled cars everywhere.

Mileage is easily in the high twenties (even higher if you can keep the speed lower. Towing is effort free (E92 M3 on a steel trailer).

We have had some warranty issues, but everything has been covered without much drama. Alternator bolt recall last year was annoying.

Diesel availability hasn't been an issue. We have had to use the reducer kit a few times when getting diesel from truck stop filling stations. We still get the "are you sure you want diesel" every once in a while.

Bought extended warranty before the 50k coverage ran out. Hopefully we won't be need it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingh1975 View Post
Hi all

Currently have a '08 535i and apart from some minor out of warranty repairs, the vehicle's been fairly reliable (2nd owner).

We are going to trade in towards a minty X5 (possibly 2011 or 2012 Diesel).

On my 535, there was a big recall on the twin turbo a while ago which was kinda pretty significant. Also, the brake sensor boards went out after 50k which costs me $300 out of pocket and apparently , it was a common issue with the housing getting burnt out over time (but BMW didn't consider it as a defect ). Lexus RX is nice but not really my cup of tea.

I've eyed 2 xDrive35d locally..both have under 25k miles so I'm presuming the maintenance warranty should come as standard till 50k?

For the diesel engines, is there anything important to look for or be aware of, especially in the 2011/12 models?

We just test drove the 'REALLY NEW' Acura MDX but Acura is overcharging customers for it, especially since the interior is laded with fake wood (plastic).

I test drove a 2013 XDrive35D and really liked it but not the price the dealer was asking for it. With the 2 I'm looking at, I'm getting better deal (I think).

Thanks in advance !
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I picked up a 14 mdx for my wife at invoice 2 month ago. Her lifetime avg is 29mpg. It feels really strong but I hate the feminine body lines, but still worth considering since they're so damn reliable and efficient.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Singh97
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jattizm

Garage List
2004 BMW e46 M3  [10.00]
Kiddan Singh Saab!!
Welcome to the forum first of all. I see that you are also in Sacramento area. I would suggest to go with a 2012 model. By doing that you will surely get the upgraded LED angel eyes, some 2011 models do not have them.
I do not drive a diesel but have read on the forums about the torque and power. Fuel consumption is not that different from the 35i model. If you can post the links of the X5's you looking at everybody might be able to point out some specific pros and cons.
Hope this helped. Good luck with your search.

SSA
Singh